Also a new member

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
jjgouws
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: Hilux

Also a new member

Post by jjgouws »

I am driving a Hilux DC 1989. (See photos) Trips with the "Ou Masjien" include Mozambique (Pafuri to Vilanculos), 3x Richtersveld and Northern Cape, Botswana 3x, Kalahari, etc. I have made a few upgrades to the vehicle: aircon, old man emo, 2x battery system, EFI (makes big difference!) and more. The Hilux is in perfect condition, reliable as always and takes me anywhere.

We would like to explore the Southern part of Namibia and Northern Cape in August 2016. I know the Northern Cape well... will watch flowers, visit the Groen/Spoeg area (camp just about on the beach) and once again camp in the Richtersveld National Park.
Is there anyone who could advise me on Southern Namibia... have only briefly driven through Southern Namibia on my way from the Mier Area to Northern Cape.

We will enter Namibia with the pontoon at Sendelingsdrift. (i) Are there any camping sites on the Namibian side of the Orange River (E.g. opposite De Hoop and Richtersberg) ? (ii) I see from posts on this site that one could drive up (short distance?) the Gamkap River bed... I saw pictures of an overhanging rock in that area. Could you camp there? (iii) Is it possible to drive in the Fish River Canyon myself? (iv) The scenery from Rosh Pinah to Aus seems to be magnificent. (v) The Canyon Roadhouse apparently provides good camping and a view on the Canyon... any other recommended camping sites in the area? (vi) We would like to visit Luderitz... haven't been there yet. The wind is apparently strong, making camping unpleasant?

In summary, we would appreciate hints on travelling from Sendelingsdrift, covering the area east of the Fish River Canyon, Canyon itself, South and West of the Canyon as well as the Luderitz area... would prefer not to drive the same roads twice.

We set aside 14 days in total... Northern Cape and area in Namibia as mentioned.

Is there anyone that can advise us on the Namibia area... roads to travel or not to travel, how much time to set aside within the planned period, where to overnight and the must sees. We have Tracks for Africa but lose our way easily. Road numbers or way-points you could recommend would be great.

Thank you for the privilege to be part of the Forum. If I could, I am more than willing to share any travel experiences.

Thank you very much.
Jaap
Attachments
My camp
My camp
Lost
Lost
Tight Spot
Tight Spot
Maroela Kruger
Maroela Kruger
Near Kgalagadi
Near Kgalagadi
Groen/Spoeg G<br />Groen/Spoeg Area
Groen/Spoeg G
Groen/Spoeg Area
Moremi
Moremi
Last edited by jjgouws on Thu May 12, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Also a new member

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Jaap! :thumbup:

There are a number of guys here that are familiar with the area, no doubt you will get some feedback soon. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Also a new member

Post by The Legend »

Welkom Jaap.Geniet die rit saam met ons
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

Return to “Meet the People”