LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Chris

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi all,

I'm 43 and living in Mpumalanga (near Nelspruit), and I earn my daily bread by being a C & I Engineer (control & intrumentation). Married to Marié with one son Rickus. My current wheels is a 1998 2.4 P D/C. We love camping and overlanding, and seeing new places, especially if they are remote and scenic and have a lack of people. Scenic to me is everything from the greenest rain forrest to the dryest desert, and everything in between.

Previous 4x4's was a 1974 Landcruiser (check my avatar), long sad story but sometimes humurous as well. Then I had a 1990 2.2 D/C with Alpine turbo, very nice runner, unfortunately had to sell it due to financial reasons, then I had a 1980 Landrover SIII 10 seater, in which I put a 4.1 Chev, sold that and bought my current Hilux. Crazy about Hiluxes, even when mine is thirsty like a camel after 10 days in the desert, slow like a donkey, with the suspension of a wheelbarrow :D :D :D :D . I can repair it myself (if and when it breaks down), spares are cheap and I will get it in any place in Africa (well, hopefulle any place......)

Mods:
Small safe between seats
Load hog spring helpers
Self built alu/steel camping canopy with freezer, water tanks, kitchen, Howling moon RTT etc.
Long range tank
Diff breathers
Air pressure monitors on tyres
Dual battery system with charge current indication (not just voltage)
GPS (first Garmin V now Streetpilot 2610)
SACS/Dastec 2 stage conversion, waste of money AFAIC
Extra aircon compressor to inflate tyres/matresses, but took it out.

What I also installed is industrial type fuse holders and terminals to power all the extra auxiliaries, going to change to breakers and terminals soon. Then I don't have to wire everything on the battery terminal.....

If anybody wants to know about elctrikery, maybe I can help a little bit.

Future mods:
Snorkel
Front ARB type bumper
Possible other engine (KZTE/2LT/7MGE/Lexus/Ford 3L(not realy)/3L/5L).....
Sun roof
Coil springs on the front diff?????

Me and family all love campimg, anywhere where there's nice nature and not many people. My pet hate is rowdy crowds partying where one's supposed to hear nature. Can never understand why one's own voice is better to hear than lions/elephants/jackal/barking geckos etc., but thats just me.

Can I perhaps just ask one teenie favour, let's not slam other manufacturers? The old LC/LR debates have been raging for ever, 50 years ago it was Ford/Chev, and I would sure hate to see a Hilux vs. The Rest mentality on this forum. Hope you guys agree, it's after all a public forum.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Chris

Post by Family_Dog »

Hello Chris,

You've been here quite a while already, so this is a belated welcome :D

You will find there is good spirit on this forum, and as we are all Toyota owners of one sort of another, with the accent being on Hiluxes, we all get on fabulously with each other. One big, happy family!

We do not intend running down other vehicles, we are in fact grateful that there are other vehicles available for those who have not yet learned the beauty of Hilux, because that leaves more SFA's etc available for us in an increasingly shrinking availability market. :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi F_D,

I like the spirit on this forum, as it should be!!!! Sorry if I was sounding a bit acromonious (and now I'm sounding pedantic!!!) Shucks, unfortunately I'm not a very good writer. The point I'm trying to make is that most of the people think their wheels are the best (I certainly think mine is), for whatever reason or criteria. But enough of that, let's talk about something positive:

I see on Wikipedia that there's links to websites, maybe we should ask Piet to add this one. How about it, baas? And how about a custom sticker?

Cheers,

Chris
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

cprinsloo wrote:Hi F_D,

I like the spirit on this forum, as it should be!!!! Sorry if I was sounding a bit acromonious (and now I'm sounding pedantic

Chris
Another great thing about this forum is that it enhances ones vocabulary. From http://www.dictionary.com where I had to go and look up the meaning of these words:
ac·ri·mo·ni·ous (āk'rə-mō'nē-əs) Pronunciation Key
adj. Bitter and sharp in language or tone; rancorous: an acrimonious debate between the two candidates.
pe·dan·tic /pəˈdæntɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-dan-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

:wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi once more Chris,

Well, Piet does link this site to Wikipedia, so I guess it's only fair that they also link to us :D

On the sticker front, Piet is one ahead of you, take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=197

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Heh, Bennie, you beat me to it! I was going to look those words up too :mrgreen:

-F_D

cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi guys,

I'm glad I'm expanding your vocabulary!!! Didn't know about the stickers, kwaai!!!

Yesterday I decided to move the handles on my 12v Freezer. When drilling the third hole suddenly I heard a hissing noise! What a *a* feeling to sit and listen how all the gas is escaping!!! :x :x :x Luckily I'll be able to repair it, but it should teach me to leave things alone!!

Cheers,

Chris
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Chris,
Yesterday I decided to move the handles on my 12v Freezer. When drilling the third hole suddenly I heard a hissing noise! What a *a* feeling to sit and listen how all the gas is escaping!!! :x :x :x Luckily I'll be able to repair it, but it should teach me to leave things alone!!
I really wish I had been there to see the expression on your face when that happened... :twisted:

Glad to hear that you are able to repair it, I have the kind of luck that I would have drilled through the lining as well :shock:

-F_D

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Chris, have you received your snorkel yet?
I just fitted mine, will take a photograph when the sun is shining again.

I added a link at wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hil ... rnal_links
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Thx Piet,

Not had time yet to see if it arrived, maybe today.

Cheers,

Chris

Return to “Meet the People”