Engine replacement

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Cammaz2.0
Town: Stawell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux, LN106

Engine replacement

Post by Cammaz2.0 »

Hi all, just after some advice.

I have a '94 2.8lt Diesel Hilux, LN106, and have recently had water in the engine resulting in a bent conrod. So now I'm just after some advice as to what engine I should replace it with and why.

Cheers
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Engine replacement

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Cameron and welcome! :thumbup:

Have the old motor refurbished. It's slow but it's a donkey and a real workhorse - you also won't have to modify anything else like you would have to in order to accommodate another motor.

If you're bent (excuse the pun) on upgrading the motor, a 3.0D4D would be a good option and keeping it diesel.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kimberley
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

Post by LeCruLux-Phillip »

Hi Cammaz2.0
The options are limitless. It all depends on what you want and what budget you have.

Hi Mud Dog

Do you know anyone who have done a 3.0D4D engine into a SFA? I have looked and searched a lot and didn't find any one in SA who have. I wanted to do that but the problem is with the electronics of the engine. So I went for the Lexus option.

Regards
:thumbup: :thumbup: :D: :D:
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't know anyone that's done it but cannot think of any reason why it can't be done, electronic issues can be overcome but there will always be things that need modification / adaption / replacement with a conversion. The extent to which that varies and the respective initial costs can certainly be a game changer but depends on what you're ultimately wanting to use the vehicle for.

Personally I prefer to keep things standard as far as possible - less hassles all round as well as down the line, which is why I suggested the re-con of the original 2.8 :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

I agree with you, it can be done. The electronics is the nightmare, going for standard electronics and engine goes into limp mode when not all sensors are correct very sensitive. Import aftermarket electronics that you must program and wire yourself at very very high price. So yes i think thats why no one in SA have done it yet (we know of) due to cheaper options with other engines. When it comes to the 2.8 standard engine I have no agruments very good reliable engine, but when you looking for a bit more oemf then the 2.8 won't tick that box. If any one know of someone who have done the 3.0D4D (1KD) into an other shape than a vigo (D4D shape). Please comment and let us know please.
Image Link Broken
lize.w@iafrica.com
Town: Boshof
Vehicle: Hi lux/Cruiser/RAV
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by lize.w@iafrica.com »

Philip, ek wonder oor dieselfde ding. Kan mens nie net ’n 3.0D4D enjin en ratkas kompleet met sy eie electronics oorbou nie. Die diff ratios behoort naby genoeg uit te werk?? Kontak my gerus dat ons kan beplan. Groete, Gerrit Wessels.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

What about the new 2.5 D4D?

Should work too. Its giving quite a lot of oemf for the size.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

LeCruLux-Phillip wrote:............ If any one know of someone who have done the 3.0D4D (1KD) into an other shape than a vigo (D4D shape). Please comment and let us know please.
Some time ago there was a guy on the cruiser forum who build a D4D into a 60 series cruiser. A fortuner was the donor vehicle. They used the complete wiring harness from the donor vehicle to build into the 60 and get it to work.

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thank you

How can I get hold of this guy? Finely there's light in the tunnel!
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

All I can get you is his name and surname.
he is no longer active in the club. Only joined for info to do his project.

Wynn Dedwith and believe he was in the Parys area, maybe you can track him down

Picture of a 60 dash with Tuna cluster

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thank you knuppel
ill try to find him, that speedo is also one of my ideas I want to do. I want to build the vigo speedo into my bakkie with speedo healer that when I change tyre size my speedo will stay true and it look so nice :drool: :drool: :drool:
Image Link Broken
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

D4D into an SFA has been done.. and by somebody on this forum and there are pictures of it as well... It was a long time ago, but you should find it if you trawl through the search results. It was a Cruiser Beige Hilux SFA.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Japie Avis het 'n 1KD in sy IFS ingebou en Hoppy het een in Baasvark se SFA ingebou met 'n meganiese diesel pomp. Ek wag nog vir sy storie daaroor.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

En wat van die 2.5 Ford enjin? Pas glp maklik en trek baie beter as die 2.8
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Datsun SAFARI aka LOBO, Nissan Patrol GQ

Post by Kagiso »

ENGEN DEN kan ook vir jou 'n 2,8 ingevoer in voorrad hê . Vra hulle bietjie
Die Nissan Terrano 2,7 enjin is beter as die res [vra maar vir Reenen Kritzinger, tot van sy trekker werk sy appel plantasie en landerye met Terrano enjins in] EN jy kan die diesel injectors vervang met "old school" dan het jy nie electronix noorag nie
Outreach2Africa - In support of Missionaries of Africa: Helping God's children doing God's work.
on't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “Meet the People”