1985 Hilux with Ford v6, suggestions welcome!

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Lid
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 1985

1985 Hilux with Ford v6, suggestions welcome!

Post by Lid »

Hey guys I'm new to the club and would LOVE SOME ADVICE on what to do with my Hilux.

It's a 1985 single cab, a 3.0L Ford v6 conversion was done when the previous owner bought the bakkie (some pics attached)

My plans are to:
upgrade the (still original) suspension to old man emu suspension. (Planning to do this at 4x4 mega world)
Put in power steering (I don't know where I can get this done??? Any suggestions?)
Put in a gearlock (is this a good idea? Suggestions welcome... I don't want my hilux stolen!)
Do some bodywork (really just superficial) eg: polyurethane liner, tonneau cover, repaint the rims, upgrade the front bull bar & back bumper and possibly have a roll bar made up that can support a tent platform.

If any of you have advice you'd like to share please comment I'm a complete novice
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: 1985 Hilux with Ford v6, suggestions welcome!

Post by The Legend »

O Buddy how do I mis mine.Save your money on a gearlock.They stole my previous SFA with gearlock locked.They either reverse it or put the 4x4 lever in nutral and puch it where they want it.
Attachments
Dawie069.jpg
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree with Dawie about the gearlock ... useless on a 4x4. As said, they just put the X-fer into neutral and tow it away.

The OME suspension is a good start - will raise the ride height, thus improving approach / departure / break-over angles, will improve axle articulation thus improving off-road traction / capability as well as ride comfort.

Power steering might be a hassle if you opt for the original push-pull setup. You will have to source a new crankshaft pulley if the current one has no place for the extra belt, a power steering pump and reservoir as well as the mounting bracket (you might get lucky enough to find at a scrapyard). The big issue will be the steering box - like hen's teeth and pricey as hell. Here it might be an option to consider x-over steering and use the steering box from an IFS model (plenty available and cheap as chips by comparison). The difference in cost between the two steering boxes will go a long way to offset the cost of the x-over components (steering arms and steering link).
The benefits of x-over steering is that you eliminate the bump-steer that is inherent with the push-pull system, you will be able to discard the torque rod (stabilizer) which in turn improves front axle articulation and front suspension travel.

Nice looking old bakkie by the way! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lid
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lid »

The Legend wrote:O Buddy how do I mis mine.Save your money on a gearlock.They stole my previous SFA with gearlock locked.They either reverse it or put the 4x4 lever in nutral and puch it where they want it.
Nice bakkie! I'm sorry to hear it's moved on... Thank you for the heads-up on the gear lock, I will be taking your advice. I just started to look around at some of the forum's past posts and see this has been covered quite extensively under 'anti-theft ideas'
Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:I have started using a steering wheel lock those that only allow you about a quarter turn of the steering wheel. Which I hope will be a visual deterrent.
Also may look installing a hidden kill switch
Lid
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lid »

That second last paragraph was a quote from "Obelix and Dogmatix", I'm still working this forum reply thing out...
Lid
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lid »

Mud Dog wrote:Power steering might be a hassle if you opt for the original push-pull setup. ...The difference in cost between the two steering boxes will go a long way to offset the cost of the x-over components (steering arms and steering link).

The benefits of x-over steering is that you eliminate the bump-steer that is inherent with the push-pull system, you will be able to discard the torque rod (stabilizer) which in turn improves front axle articulation and front suspension travel.
Awesome input Mud Dog, I will definitely do some research into x-over steering, thanks for thatImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lid wrote:That second last paragraph was a quote from "Obelix and Dogmatix", I'm still working this forum reply thing out...
Fixed. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lid
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lid »

Haha!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Lewis, hope you enjoy it here on the forum. Nice looking truck you have. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Meet the People”