Lift/ Ground clearance on a kitted Hilux 2.5d4d 4x4

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
The Earth Tribe
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d 4X4

Lift/ Ground clearance on a kitted Hilux 2.5d4d 4x4

Post by The Earth Tribe »

Hi all! Great to see a page specifically fir Hilux fans! I know I might be a bit slow off the mark but hey, better late than never! :thumbup:

My question to the forum today is about the limited clearance on my Hilux. I have done some reading and found a great read on lifting pros and cons, and found this paragraph around why specifically the clearance is the way it is..

It reads "the ride height is purposely chosen in a IFS vehicle to minimize CV angles and minimize failure rate. The drive shafts on a stock vehicle are designed to be perfectly level and the CVs to be completely straight when the front wheels are straight. With straight CVs, wear is minimized and longevity and reliability are maximized. The front wheels spend the vast majority of their time pointing straight ahead, so with level drive shafts the CVs are only significantly worn during the small fraction of a vehicle’s life spent turning corners or when on uneven terrain"

Right, so its all about CV's... I am also aware of driveability, safety, handling etc when lifting a car so basically can someone suggest what options I have in order to help prevent my car from bottoming out so easily? I also read potentially I need to widen the stance of the vehicle? I am sure it will help the car LOOK beefier and hopefully counter balance leift but is this vital?

I have a bash plate, skit plate, front Bull, Alucab, fridge, roof top tent, chip, intercooler, alu exhaust etc etc so its kitted and heavy so feel the lift is quite key moving forward as I start to get a bit more adventurous..

Any suggestions folks? :surrender: Aftermarket suspension? Spacers? :naah: etc etc
Any expert advice would be appreciated just so I get a feel before approaching the closest 4x4 centre...

Thanks all!!
Rhys
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Lift/ Ground clearance on a kitted Hilux 2.5d4d 4x4

Post by ChrisF »

Rhys WELCOME to the forum.

On my 2,5 the story went something like this :
- front bumper and winch ... nose drops even further than stock ....
- Ironman front suspension - coils selected specifically for this new operating weight
- kitted out for camping ... and suprise suprise the back was dragging low ...
- Ironman suspension for the back, again with blades designed for the operating weight.

End result - The Hilux drove nice and high, as if it carried no weight.

BUT, it had miles of suspension travel all round, thus perfect for off road use.

I am not a fan of spacers, not for long term use. For short term leveling, fine.

The key is to get coils and blades rated for your operating weight.

I had good experience with Ironman, but am the first to admit there are some excellent alternatives on the market.
The Earth Tribe

Thanks Chris for the welcome and the info!

Whats your take on wheel spacers to widen the track of the wheels? Important when lifting or is it simply a cosmetic thing? (looks)
The Earth Tribe

Ive found another chat on this page mentioning potential damage to bearings and other parts so pretty much everyone reckons its not a good thing!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, stay away from spacers unless it's absolutely necessary. Can also be a dangerous practice depending on the design of the spacer (can break wheel studs and loose a wheel). The gains in stance width are minimal IRO altering the COG positively, it's mostly a cosmetic thing. Rather get wider rims and tyres where the off-set is still close to standard, that way you don't impact on bearing stress too badly, but again, gains are mostly aesthetic.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Firstly, welcome to the forum, Rhys.
Keep it standard with the stance, otherwise you will have bearing problems.
An after market suspension will make the ride height acceptible.
Make sure you fit heavy duty for your type of loads or overlanding.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
The Earth Tribe

Sorry for the slow response, was in a bit of a fender bender put me back a few week, but my iron man bull bar definitely saved the day!! The other car not so much ;/ all ok though...

Thanks for the advice guys, I think a solid suspension kit/coils is the way I am heading! I also need a good profile pic I see too! haha, will get on that asap... Defo Newbie you have here!

Return to “Meet the People”