New to SA, new to the forum

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
SirPipes
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2010 3.0L D4D Hilux

New to SA, new to the forum

Post by SirPipes »

Hi everyone,

I moved to South Africa a year or so ago with my South African wife, although I am originally from the US. We are very keen on doing some overlanding trips over the next couple of years before we have kids so I've been looking around at vehicles. I still haven't found the vehicle that's right for us yet but I've been convinced that a Hilux is the way to go. I figured there must be a community like this out there somewhere and I'm excited to have found it. I look forward to reading all of your trip advice and figuring out where the best places to go are. I already know the best way to get there is in a Hilux!

A couple of questions:
1. How long can these vehicles last and still be reliable?
2. Our budget isn't huge (under R200k for vehicle and equipment hopefully). What can I realistically expect to find in that price range?
3. Are there any good books out there to read in order to help prepare us for our trips?
4. Once I get a vehicle, I'd be very interested in taking courses on a. how to drive it and b. how to repair it in the field if something goes wrong. We currently live in Joburg. Any suggestions?

Really looking forward to engaging in this community.

Josh
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Re: New to SA, new to the forum

Post by mcw »

Hi Josh
welcome to forum and South Africa ,enjoy the madness ,it grows on you ,
there is a article somewhere on the forum about different hiluxes available in Sourthern Africa ,someone will point you to it .

I have a 1996 Dbl Cab Bakkie with canopy +4500000 km traveled ,still going strong,feel comfortable with it to go anywhere in Africa
lots of trip report on this and other forums about places to travels to
join the Hilux club and come with us on day and weekend trails ,learn from others in group

Martin
Attachments
20161009_103335.jpg
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Welcome

Depends on how you camp, but I'd say with your budget you could look at the IFS types like the 3.0 KZTE or 2700i which could set you back as much as R160k depending on year, condition & extras. One could get the newer Vigo shape (2.5 or 2.0 D4D or 2700i) for under R200k but generally they have more than 200 000km on the clock. Just be weary when looking at the diesel models, the KZTE needs a head replacement at 200k km's and the D4D is notorious for injectors around the same mileage so just factor in those costs

Like Martin I also drive the older shape, mine is a 1998 LTD edition 2.4 petrol. Tough as nails but not as comfortable; later models can fetch up to R110k

There are plenty threads on the forum discussing all of the above in more detail, as far as equipment goes look in the overlanding section for some advice
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Howzit Josh

I see Stef forgot to mention the V6 4.0L Vigo hilux lots of power and the same consumption as the 2.7L. When buying make sure of a service history. If you get a Hilux that has been properly maintained and not abused you will get plenty of happy Miles.

The thread that Martin refers to as to the different type of Hilux is in the club portion of the website. Join the club at R160 per year and you will also have access to manuals as well. The best way to get to know your truck will be to use it so once you have one come join us on trips.

Here is a face book link you might want to keep your eye on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4x4koop ... 9930444095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just ask your wife to translate LOL
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:
I see Stef forgot to mention the V6 4.0L Vigo hilux lots of power and the same consumption as the 2.7L.
I'm secretly looking for one as well :shh: :mrgreen:

Seriously though I did forget...definitely a much better buy than the 2700i
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Josh! :thumbup:

Well first off I am biased towards the old pre '98 models, but in all fairness it is with good reason. These are notoriously tough and achieve unbelievably high mileages, especially when reasonably well maintained. Their ruggedness in the rough is legendary, you will be hard pressed to find an equal. Being older vehicles they are not crammed with electronic gadgetry which may arguably contribute towards its already superb reliability, but also makes it easier to do a repair in the styx if it's required.

Of course another nice thing is that you can pick one up at a far better price than the later models, spares are still available for the most part and are generally more reasonably priced than those of more current models.

There's a beautiful, almost fully equipped IFS model (also reliable) advertised here viewtopic.php?f=129&t=41805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's a bargain at the price!) and another one here viewtopic.php?f=129&t=41852&p=491487#p491487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are plenty trip reports and travel advice on this forum, just do a search using key words like "Namibia", "Botswana" (or "Bots"), "Angola", "Mozambique" (or Moz"), "Serengetti", "Malawi", .... etc. There are also a number of travel magazines that you can choose from, but generally they advertise the more 'commercial' routes / venues.

Good luck with your endeavours, any questions, just ask. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SirPipes
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2010 3.0L D4D Hilux

Post by SirPipes »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies, especially for the recommendations about which truck to look for. I think the past few days have been some of my most unproductive at work as I browse the travel destinations of the forum and dream about being in the bush rather than in the Sandton grind.

I appreciate the advice on the mileage. I wasn't sure if it is worth the investment to get a truck with >250,000 km on the clock but from what I read here, as long as they have been well maintained they are definitely worth it and will provide years of fun.

As soon as I get a vehicle locked down I will definitely be joining on the trails. So long as you don't mind a beginner who only speaks English...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The guys up your way will be only too happy to have you join them on outings and show you the ropes. :winkx: You will also find your mother tongue to be a more than adequate means of communication. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum and RSA...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4

Post by jvt172 »

Welcome to SA and the forum
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

Welcome Josh!!

Return to “Meet the People”