Youngster seeking adventure!

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Suikerbos
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Colt

Youngster seeking adventure!

Post by Suikerbos »

Hi all!
I'm 18 years old, fresh out of matric and looking for something to do during my varsity holidays... I've always wanted to do some 4x4 trips and I've decided that now is a good time to tick it off the bucket list!
While on holiday I saw an older, kitted out Hilux (What I now believe is called a SFA), this double cab bakkie sparked an interest and I immediately started searching classifieds to see what they go for...
Thereafter I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum, that being the 4x4 community forum and after doing some searching there I found this forum!
I plan on doing the trips with a buddy of mine who has a kitted out Wrangler. Well start with South Africa andd then move north to our neighboring countries all split between our different holidays!
I'm fortunate enough to have parents who are sponsoring my course at university and so any money I make can and probably will be used to fund this idea.
As mentioned above, the SFA's have caught my eye, however that isn't set in stone. Any advice about vehicle choice is welcome as well as guidance, advice, criticism etc to help me with regard to my idea as a whole...

Thanks in advance! :D:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Youngster seeking adventure!

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Tanner! :thumbup:

The SFA's are also very close to my heart, and a tougher and more reliable Hilux you will not find.

Some words of warning though, so that you can make a more informed choice.
•Although old models, they still fetch a good price, so they're not much cheaper than the later IFS models, especially when they are still in good nick. On a positive note, repairs are easy and parts are currently still readily available.
•They are not the most fuel economic vehicles, so as a daily runner it's gonna put a big dent into your student budget.
•They are also not the most comfortable rides about either - a suspension upgrade makes a big difference, so if you want one, look for one that already has this done. Once loaded, the ride improves a lot.

On the positive side again, general maintenance is minimal and cheap.

Good luck with you search. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Suikerbos
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Colt

Post by Suikerbos »

Thanks for the welcome Mud Dog! :D:
I have noticed that there are some nice later models available for a similar price which really makes my decision more difficult... Throw in the cheap prices of an old Land Cruiser and even an older Prado or Pajero and it creates a constant battle in my mind as to what I should set my sights on! :aggresive:
However I am still leaning towards an SFA! The next hurdle on that topic is which engine. I see many have engine swaps which always get me cautious as I'm not sure of quality etc. Plus generally it's to a V6 or V8 which sets of fuel economy warnings although, as you said, those old engines have big appetites too! I'm yet to read amything from the the engine conversion section but it is on my to do list! :crazy:
Every day that goes by gets me more and more excited about actually doing this! I just want to do it right with no regrets :slap: :thumbup:

Edit: I know I still have a while to go before even worrying which 4x4 not to mention engine, I'm just trying to come up with a plan so that it goes smoothly when I get to that point!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You wrote:I have noticed that there are some nice later models available for a similar price which really makes my decision more difficult... Throw in the cheap prices of an old Land Cruiser and even an older Prado or Pajero and it creates a constant battle in my mind as to what I should set my sights on!
Yes, but repair and maintenance costs are going to be a lot higher. The SFA's are notoriously reliable workhorses and uncomplicated to work on - an ideal starter 4x4 vehicle if you're into the DIY thing (which is good just in case you actually do get let down on the side of the road / trail). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Meet the People”