Toyota Hilux KZ-TE Suspension noise

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
rvdwatt
Town: Wonderboom
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Toyota Hilux KZ-TE Suspension noise

Post by rvdwatt »

Good day,
Apologies for the long message but it is important to give history. 2yrs back I have fitted new tyres (Cooper) & shocks (monroe) for my Hilux kzte and were extremely satisfied with the ride. about 1yr thereafter the bakkie started to drive very hard and bouncy. I took it in at various suspension experts in Gauteng, wheel experts etc and never really got to the problem. I was advised to take out the Monroe shocks as they are pathetic and need to replace the lower control arm bushes. The original quote was almost 14k which I thought were crazy and took it for another opinion. Second suspension expert advised me that all the bushes, idler arm, pitman arm and ball joints & Shocks need replacement as well as the leaf springs to be reset. This all for 9k. What do I know, I told them to continue. They have messed up the entire vehicle. Never drove this bad as now. Ended up to replace the upper and lower control arms (the entire arm with ball joints). The suspension place bushes (yellow) ceased and the bakkie could not move up and down. After this arm replacement the bakkie drove much better, but still have the bouncy, hard ride. Bakkie is still moving left to right on high way and worst of all, when I go over bumps and turns the front suspension makes a "Klak-klak" noise. This noise is getting worse and worse. I also have little play on the stearing wheel. Difficult to think I have spent more than R14k on a suspension replacement and I am worse off. Anyone that can advise what I can do to sort out this bumpy hard ride, Klak-klak noise and play on the stearing wheel? I am now desperate as I want to keep the vehicle (kannie dood) :beg:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Toyota Hilux KZ-TE Suspension noise

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish! There are so many possibilities!

Check the steering components first. Is the steering box secure on the chassis? No play in the tie rod ends (ball joints)? Are the steering arms secure? Are the shocks securely mounted and are the bushes on the shocks still OK (top & bottom)?

The harder ride could be either from stiffer shocks or the torsion bars (springs) are set too hard.

The wandering on the road could be due to loose faulty steering components or bad wheel alignment - alignment should be set between 0.01 and 0.03 degrees toe in for a positive steer.

Also check engine and gearbox mounts in case the clacking noise is from there, but from your description it's more likely to be one or more of the above issues. Maybe take it back to the guys that worked on it and take them with you for a test ride - they should repair their mistake.

Hope you get it sorted.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rvdwatt

Post by rvdwatt »

Thanks for the response. I honestly would need to take it to another Toyota expert I came across a few months back and unfortunately cannot take it back to the guys that worked on it. I have paid school fees there but cannot take my bakkie back there. Its been there probably 5 to 8 times already and came back with new problems. Driving hard and bumpy you say could be the torsion bars to hard. Is there a specific setting the guys should set the torsion? I know and understand when too high it will be too hard and if too low it might be too soft? I would like to guide the guys that does the wheel alignment. Seems everywhere I go the so call experts does not have the knowledge and just make the settings worse. Thanks again.
rvdwatt

Post by rvdwatt »

Just to mention as well, the klak klak noise from the suspension also happens when standing still and turning the steering wheel. Does happen more while driving slow though but sometimes happen when stationed as well. Could this still be possibility of engine and or gearbox mounting? Makes more sense then that something on steering mechanism is faulty or loose? (Perhaps Idler arm) although it was replaced with new one in Nov 2016?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Riaan come pass sometime that I can look at it. Sounds like a steering problem.
rvdwatt

Post by rvdwatt »

Thanks Louis, that will be greatly appreciated. If I may, how do I get in contact with you? Where located?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Wanted to suggest Louis but I see he already volunteered.

4x4 Megaworld Menlyn, Menlyn Retail Park, Garstfontein street entrance.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Could this still be possibility of engine and or gearbox mounting?
From the additional description that it does this while stationary, it's almost certainly a steering component problem.

Yes, take it to Louis. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rvdwatt

Post by rvdwatt »

Thanks all. Will keep you posted on the result.
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

A different tyre brand might solve the "wandering". My Cooper STT's did the same. Replaced with BF's and problem solved.

Return to “Meet the People”