Gear Change

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
CTD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux 4x4

Gear Change

Post by CTD »

I have just purchased a 1993 Hilux 2.2 D/C 4x4 SFA "its been a passion for a long time" I am experiencing a problem with the gears going into 1st when the car is at running temperature I have flushed and replaced the gear box oil, so i guess im asking for any suggestions or maybe a reference on some one who can take a look at it for me, thanking all in advance. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Gear Change

Post by Mud Dog »

The specific oil can make a big difference, but it could also be that the spigot bearing is binding or clutch not fully releasing (pressure plate).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

I have got the same issue with my 2.4 1996 . All though its not impossible to get it into gear when she is all warmed up . But if i come to a stand still , It can be quite difficult . What oil do you recommend mud dog .? Am hoping to change diff x2 oil and transfer box this weekend . and gearbox of course .
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

It sounds like a sincro gear.I took my box to a place in Benoni to assemble after we striped it to see what was broken.The owner should be able to tell you what is wrong as he does a lot of taxi boxes.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not sure about it being syncro rings ..... 1st gear normally doesn't have and since your problem is engaging 1st gear I didn't mention the syncros. If however the gear changes in general are 'notchy' then the syncros are a possibility but the more common causes are the oil, a spigot bearing that is sticky / stiff and a clutch that is not releasing properly.

Since your problem manifests when everything warms up, I think it's more likely to be the oil - I could of course be mistaken. IIRC I had a similar problem some time back that was dramatically improved after replacing the oil in the box, but I cannot recall what oil it was, just that it was a synthetic grade.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Andy I think you are correct what I would do if it was my box is drain oil and fill it with ATF to see if it makes a diffrence.
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

ANother question .. How do I adjust my clutch ?? how do I tell if my release bearing is releasing properly..I have put new oil in the gear box . I put the same as what i used in my diffs .. I have got a feeling i should of used a finer oil .. i used 80w-90 .
Your thoughts please gentlemen
I have a 96 SFA D/C
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike

Return to “Meet the People”