Dirty Des - New member introduction.

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Dirty Des
Town: Sandton
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7 i

Dirty Des - New member introduction.

Post by Dirty Des »

Good day All on the Forum.

May I introduce myself to you. Dirty Des (long story that goes back a while)

Based in Witkoppen, Fourways, work for a large mechanical/agricultural engineering company in Sunninghill.
Interests are mainly to do with horses, having ridden and taught professionaly for many years, now a weekend happy hacker. I raced bicycles, rode motorbikes all my life, now on an adventure bike to take to me across our beautiful country and neighbouring states. Qualifier FGASA Field Guide and a member of SANParks Honorary Rangers.

Have my original 1979 Toyota Hilux 1600, one of the first floor shifts to reach Rustenburg where is was bought for the massive sum of R4000. Not sure how many times the clock has turned, I drove it for close on 400 OOO, even over Sani pass in 1980, was the shorted route to Durban from Quthing in Lesotho for a long weekend and back, then gave it to my aged father to drive until he passed away and I got it back. The engine had pistons, rings and bearings done while he had it and its has 2 clutches in its life.

My current Hilux is a 2000 2.7i, 412 000km, just changed the clutch for the first time, this one pulls the horse box and bike trailer. Its a 4x2, however its been where most 4x4 skrik to go including to East Africa and everything in between and most surrounding countries. I'm a construction site manager so we go places.....
Running original engine, had one minor gear repair, my fault for trying to get it out of deep sand in Mozambique on hard tyres, and original diff. Shocks have been changed 3 times, the prop-shaft universals have been replaced and its had a few dents knocked out, otherwise, just oil and filters. Seats could do with a recover to make it pretty.

Had a KZTE in between and have had a few 2.4 Diesel "Kannie-doods" as well for work. the 2.5 D4D are soft in comparison.

Don't like the new shape, front end looks like it belongs on a boat, still trying to get my head around maybe a Legend 45 Dakar S/C if I can find a clean one, just in case the 2.7i decides its time out, but a good friend of mine, a country Vet has one that done 780 000 and still going strong so I believe mine has many more k's to offer!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Dirty Des - New member introduction.

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Des!! :thumbup:

There's a reason why Toyotas are so popular! The 2.7 is a particularly hardy motor. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Des.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome Des
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

Welcome Des!!!
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Welcome Des!
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Des,
That 2.7 does not give up easily...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Meet the People”