Ronwob
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Stil Baai
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

New Intro Ronwob

Post by Ronwob »

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ronwob.

I recently retired and my wife and I are seriously investigating the purchase of a Hilux 4x4.

We plan to do a lot of camping, currently in a tent, but would like to upgrade to a caravan in the future.
We will be doing 4x4 routes and mountain passes later Namibia.

We are looking at a 2014 Hilux 2.5D-4D SRX 4X4. Reading the history of the Hilux, this vehicle is classified as a Donkie and cruising at 120 could be a problem.
If this is the case, will it battle with a caravan in tow. I also picked up that it struggles with certain obstacles power wise.

My question to you is this, is the 2.5 the right or wrong vehicle? As my budget is tight going for a 3 liter at the same price will be an older model with higher mileage.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Ronwob
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: New Intro Ronwob

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Ronnie. :thumbup:

Not having owned one, I cannot sat it with authority, but I believe your suspicions are correct in that the 2.5 is too low on power to do any meaningful long distance towing. In that case you would have to re-visit you budget or look at an earlier year model 3lit.

An alternative is to scrap the caravan idea and build a "camper van", but that adds permanent weight to the vehicle and also diminishes it's off-road capabilities as well as fuel economy. Could be some difficult choices ahead.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

I owned a 2013 2.5 toyota a little while back . I towed a maize haverster back from jhbg to southern Natal .Trailer and implement weighing in at about 1.5 ton maybe more . On the straights near harrismith i was in 3rd gear doing 70km/hr into a bit of a head wind I filled up nce going up to jbg and 4 times on the way home with the load . I also had a Race chip in her . I would seriously recommend you dont buy 2.5 hilux for towing anything . Great bakkie other wise .
On the other hand I know have a 2.5 Hardbody bakkie for the farm and have done a fair bit of towing . She is god and strong , Seldom have to chang down from 4th on the hills whilst towing . Downside ..Maybe not the most comfortable overlanding vehicle unless you swap out bench seat for bucket seats .and put Monroe shocks n the front .
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there and welcome to the forum Ronnie.I am currently driving a 2,5 srx single cab 4x4 and have to be truthfull.The 2,5 is a bit under powered and although I have towed a heavy loaded trailer with it on, occation, on long distances, the 2,5 is not the perfect towing vehicle.

Having said that,I previously drove a 2,8 d sfa double cab 4x4 for a few years and found this vehicle also to be a donkey but I was very happy with the performance as I realised and accepted that speed was not the main criteria whilst doing a 4x4 trip.
When I sold the 2,8D and started using my current 2,5 d4d, I was more that happy with the performance as it was a great improvement to the 2,8d.

I have since built a camper onto my 2,5 d4d and once again,am quite happy with the cruising speed
( about 100km /hr ) and manage a fairly consistant 8,5 km/l. On down hills and flats,120 km/hr or more can be obtained by using the gears.
Ronwob
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ronwob »

Thanks Gents for this valuable information. It definitely is food for thought. I currently use a 1.8 Corsa Utility with a 5 ft trailer with all my camping gear. The total weight must be a lot less than 1 ton.
a Caravan might be too heavy for the 2.5.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum.
Agreewith all the wise comments made above.
If you dicide on the 2.5 srx I would build it into a camper,
Which it will handel much easier than towing an extra set of wheels on the road.
If you decide on the D-4D 3.0, I would still build a type of camper on the vehicle.
The 2.5 will be lighter on fuel than the 3.0 D-4D, but the 3.0 will better maintain a constant speed. I do not think that you need to look at maintaining a constant speed of 120 km/h. You are a new pensioner, so start taking things in your stride and slow down. The slower you travel, the lighter your vehicle will be on fuel and the more you will see around you. You will also be in a better position to avoid accidents of idiots who overtake on barrier lines and blind rises. You are now ready to enjoy the fruits of your labours, so slow down and do that.
I know a guy who tows a road caravan with a 2.5 with a lot ofcanvas, as he camps permanently, so his load is heavy, but he does not rush and tows no more than 300kms a day unless he has no choice, but will not exceed 450 kms. Do not travel after dark.
Use an aluminium canopy on the back, on which you fit a Clam Shell RTT.
Face the RTT to the front and have anchor points for the ladder on the front bumper to the RTT. Fit your solar panel on the lid of the Clam Shell. Behind the Clam Shell on the canopy you can fit a roof rack in which you can load your wood or anything which does not have a place inside the canopy.
Inside the canopy, against the cab is where your fridge/freezer will be fitted and next to that your water tank for a maximum of about 50L.
After the fridge/freezer, at a height from a cm or two below the top of the loadbin height, make aluminium shelves which will fit inside the side door openings on both sides of the loadbin. Left side for your kitchen and drivers side for your clothing cupboards.
Inside the back door of the loadbin you can either continue down from the shelves above to make shelves against the sides of the loadbin, or,
Put in a drawer system in this section, facing backwards.
To finish everything off you can fit an Ostrich Wing Awning on the left side of your canopy, which will open up to give you shade/shelter on the left and back section of your vehicle (270* - degrees).
Remember, when towing you will be using between 25-40% more fuel, depending on what you tow and the weight and size you will be towning.
I have a similar set-up and driving nicely I get about 9 km/l in the mountaindof the eastern cape. In all types of driving on the flats of Namibia and Botswana I can almost average 10 km/l, which includes thick sand, rock and low range driving.
This will work you out cheaper than any caravan/trailer you would have to purchase, tow and kit out. What caravan/trailer where you planning on purchasing?
If you are in need of further assistance, mail me at
edgew60atgmaildotcom
076four9444eight 5
I will send you a lot of information, after which you can contact me if you need further assistance.
Remember, whatever you do will cost you a lot of money, but should you make the wrong decision and have to fix your mistakes, it will be a more expensive learning curve.
Good luck with your decision.
Happy camping and safe travels.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Ronwob
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ronwob »

Hi All,

Thanks to all the people that gave me valuable information regarding the 2.5 D-4D.
After a lot if thinking I made the decision to rather go for the bigger motor and have bought a Toyota Legend 40 3- D4d.
It will be ready for pickup on Thursday. Cant wait.
Thanks again
Ronnie
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Great choice there Ron.All the best and happy camping.
Ronwob
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Towbar Questions

Post by Ronwob »

Hi All,
My 2014 Hilux Extra cab 3.0 D4D tow bar does not seem to have recovery points. I have a spare tow bar off a Legend 40, 2010. This seems to have 4 recovery points. 4 oval holes for attaching shackles I presume. This tow bar also seems to be stronger although the rating on the data plate is the same. Will this fit on the vehicle and is it the right thing to do?

Thanks
Ronnie
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

AFAIK it should be a straight swap.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Meet the People”