Hilux in Tanzania

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
pcafrica
Town: Dar es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider D/cab 3.0 KZ TE

Hilux in Tanzania

Post by pcafrica »

Hello fellow Hilux owners,

I did just join the forum after buying a year 2001 4x4 Toyota Hilux D/Cab Camper with the diesel 3.0 KZ-TE engine!

So I am new to the forum and would like to get some advice. Were can I download an operating manual and a workshop manual for this vehicle?
Is there any particular things I should check on the vehicle body or engine, e.g. change of timing belt or checking technical parts which are prone to fail on this vehicle and should be regularly checked?

Thanks for your help
PC

Toyota Hilux Camper.png
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Hilux in Tanzania

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

The Kz-Te is a good motor but prone to cracked cylinder heads around 200 000km. Check for water usage as well as discoloration of the water in the expansion tank. If the water turned grey/blackish it could be an indication of a cracked head.

Timing belt should be changed every 150 000km. I played it safe and had it changed every 100 000km.

Keep up with a good maintenance regime for long, reliable service.

One concern though: The fact that the import duty had not yet been paid, does that mean that you have all the relevant documents needed for the importation?

You can send me the VIN number and registration numer and I will see if I can get any history from Toyota on the car for you?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux in Tanzania

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome PC! :thumbup:

Thabo has it right. Look after it and it will look after you. I'm no diesel expert, but even I know of the KZTE head problem, they really don't like overheating and some guys fit an EGT gauge to monitor it, especially under load. If the head does go, then fit an AMC head, better than OEM, no more head problems.

Something else to keep an eye on is fuelling. Unlike petrol motors, diesels run hotter if over fuelled and black exhaust smoke is a sure indicator. (White / grey exhaust smoke indicates oil consumption, like with worn rings end valve stem seals.)

Good luck and happy motoring. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Meet the People”