New Member Intro

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Town: Leipzig
Vehicle: 2012 Lada Niva

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi All,
I just joined this forum as I am planning to buy and outfitt a Hilux for overlanding in southern Africa. I am living in Europe (before Switzerland, now Germany) but plans are to also move to South Africa, starting with a few month traveling in the area, before choosing a location and settling down.
This will be my first serious overland vehicle because I currently own a Lada Niva. Ok for everything in Europe (including Iceland, where I am right now) but with limitations not acceptable in Africa.
Therefore I am researching all the information available on the internet right now and are looking forward to get to work on a vehicle. As I will not have my own place and a workshop to use when I do this I will mainly rely on prefessional services and here I am hoping for some tips in this forum where to go, as well as other technical advice.
Looking forward to some interesting discussions...

As for my choosen name in this forum. I got to know and love southern Africa by way of traveling with small aircraft in this region throughout the last years. What was intended as a once in a livetime experience, flying an aircraft through Africa, developed into a passion and now the decision to live there. And 42 is, as some of your know, is the answer to THE question.

Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 1995 2,4 SFA Hilux,Home made snorkel,Home made front bumper .
ORRA Call Sign: N/A

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Welcome Frank, hope all your dreams come true and you find the right vehicle for your trip. Looking forward to seeing your build as you go along. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Welcome Frank!! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: Toyota D-4D Xcab 4x4
ORRA Call Sign: Na

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm Wichard and my wife is Bonnita, living in Namibia, town Okahandja. We like to do off-road camping, with/without serious off-road.

We are in the process to purchase a bakkie camper/Abba camper/Aha camper for a xtra cab hilux, so if you know of one for sale, please drop me a message.

LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
ORRA Call Sign: HC 109

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Welcome Frank

Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
ORRA Call Sign: x223

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Welcome Frank!

Nothing wrong with a Lada - I used to own one as a student. Very capable cars IF you could keep it running! mine gave me endless mechanical trouble. Hopefully yours is reliable.

As for a vehicle, I know Louis Zanolli has a nice 2.7 IFS for sale a while ago. Maybe hunt him down and ask. It would be good to keep contact with him as he is a superb mechanic/outfitter wit a vast knowledge of all Hilux'es. His daytime job is at the local branch, thus he has access to all the needed goodies for a good overlander.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Meet the People”

• Information