Post one picture of your Hilux, no text please
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1998 2.8D DC Raider

My 1998 2.8D SFA

Post by Ouarzazate »

Bought this one in 1999 with 16K on the clock. Modifications (service provider, where I was happy, others rather not mentioned):

OME
Full bakkie slide 40l Engel frame, battery box in bin with solenoid system, centre console, ally water tank and table (Jean Theart)
Front ARB air locker
Changed diff ratio's to suit the 265's tyres from the diesel's 4.55 to 4.875 (that of the petrol 2.2) (Hoppy)
Changed aircon to onboard air system, diff breathers, EGT gauge and VDO water temperature gauges (Frikkie Cronje)
Safari snorkel, bullbar and KC Hilites (Desert Stormer, Worcester)
Flush rear towbar (custom made by my now deceased friend Willem Agenbacht in Kamieskroon)
Escape Gear seat covers

Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: My 1998 2.8D SFA

Post by Family_Dog »

Very nice, Coenie. Tell us more about the onboard air system, does it replace the a/c?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Baie mooi Coenie :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jy moet ons Wes Kaap ouens join as ons op trippies gaan :boss:
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Very nice Coenie,brings back fond memories of OLD FAITHFULL which I sold last year.It was basically identical to your 2,8.
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1998 2.8D DC Raider

Post by Ouarzazate »

Thanks, see my more elaborate post under viewtopic.php?f=136&t=38427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, with 64 Kw and 182 Nm this vehicle can barely power itself when laden, slow heavy work is required, so putting an aircon radiator so close to the engine radiator (and covering so much of its surface area) was insanity in the first place. Make no mistake, when the vehicle was not stressed, aircon was probably OK, but when hot, slow driving and heavily laden, engine cooling was marginal.

This was also clearly shown when they fitted the Alpine turbo to this 3L engine, which even with an additional oil cooler (the 2.8D already has a small oil cooler on the exhaust side of the block), blew up in their faces. This was a dark time for Toyota SA throwing its name away at the end of such a successful lifetime of SFA's.

But sometimes manufacturers do these things ... on this Raider model they even fitted 265 tyres as standard, overgearing the drivetrain and leading to high EGT's, which together with the already marginal cooling, meant catastrophy was waiting around the corner.

But, as said, taking the aircon out of the way of airflow immediately solved the problem, and lowering the diff ratios dropped EGT's, allowing the use of 265's. The compressor is anyway much better deployed in its current role, namely to provide air at a rate that exceed that of garage service stations ;-)

Thx for the invite to join trails - might just take it up ... as long as no sand dunes :lol:
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

I go on the dunes with my less pwerful 2.4D running on 33" tyres. :blackeye: :blackeye:

I don't play as much as the newer vehicles but I do enjoy myself.

Yours should be fine :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Pictures Only - Post a pic of your Hilux”