David
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: New to me '99 Surf

Post by Family_Dog »

Welcome to the forum, David!

I wonder why TSA did not introduce this model to SA - I would have bought one in a flash. Better choice to a Fortuner, more spacious too.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you, Eric. As you probably already know, this comes to Moz thru Japan. I'm looking to get up to speed as quickly as I can on this vehicle…my first purchase of a Toyota. Back in the US I owned an Acura…liked the Japanese tech…it was very easy to work on. Will see how it goes with Toyo. I need to acquire a manual, consensus on which manuals are best? I saw someone mention there are Haynes manuals down here, how readily available? I'll dig around the forum to get an answer as well. [Okay, I found the manual thread…sorry for the quick trigger finger]. Cheers! David
May You Thrive!!

David
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Welcome David. Enjoy !!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome David, hope you enjoy it here on the forum. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you for the welcome Jacques and Roger. Jacques, where does one find snow? I think I remember there are some places I heard of in Swazi. I come from a much colder climate…winter temps often -10C. So would like to visit the snow sometime while I'm down here :-)
May You Thrive!!

David
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Swaziland and Lesotho are your best bet for snow down here. Welcome! Is your Surf running the 2.7i petrol motor? If so its a dam fine piece of engineering, perfect for Africa where maintenance is almost never done, slightly heavy on juice though. We have a 2.7 at work that's pushing 700 000km and still running everyday, towing trailers. love that thing.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

pampoen wrote:Swaziland and Lesotho are your best bet for snow down here. Welcome! Is your Surf running the 2.7i petrol motor? If so its a dam fine piece of engineering, perfect for Africa where maintenance is almost never done, slightly heavy on juice though. We have a 2.7 at work that's pushing 700 000km and still running everyday, towing trailers. love that thing.
Yes, it's the 2.7l petrol. I appreciate knowing it's a workhorse, hadn't heard much about it other than it was good engine. That's a lot of kms and still running as a daily…superb.

Will have to watch the weather reports and make a run to Swazi some day when the snow flies…guess that'll be next year some time.

Thanks much.
May You Thrive!!

David
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi David.
Awesome vehicle. I really love the surf. My first Hilux was the Surf Double cab. And you have the perfect motor in there. Bullet Proof. :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

george wrote:Hi David.
Awesome vehicle. I really love the surf. My first Hilux was the Surf Double cab. And you have the perfect motor in there. Bullet Proof. :thumbup:
Hi George:
I know the 4 Runners, of this era, from the US, are considered to be very good vehicles. I'll be getting a double cab at some point…so will be paying close attention to how well this one treats me. I really wish General Motors/Chevy would sell their full size pickups down here. I have a 1991 ½ ton, V-8 petrol, 4x4, extra cab, manual trans pickup that has 371,000km on it and still going strong! Superb truck on all counts. I'm the second owner. The first guy towed recreational trailers with it - 10meter types. I burdened it hauling stone and mortar and construction materials. Off-duty hours it was my backcountry, two-track fishing partner. Got me in to a lot of generally inaccessible fishing spots. I miss the truck and if it was right-hand driver - I'd have it down here asap.
May You Thrive!!

David
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Jip, have to agree. The 2.7 motor is awesome. Mine has done 570 000 km, and still going very well. Did the SAC conversion at 525 000. Unbelievable motors.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Cheetah Drakie wrote:Jip, have to agree. The 2.7 motor is awesome. Mine has done 570 000 km, and still going very well. Did the SAC conversion at 525 000. Unbelievable motors.
Hey, what's the SAC conversion?
May You Thrive!!

David
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Also, what forum do I submit a question about my radiator and a/c cooling system? I just see that Workshop forum looks best for this - I don't know though if I should also put it in the Surf forum because some guys with Surfs might not pick up on it in the Workshop? Is that allowable? I need to make this decision on what to do soon - can't have my wife stranded or suffering in Moz heat (95F/35C tomorrow,). I'm quite inclined to replace it rather than fix gasket around the plastic top. I"m looking for suggestions as to whether to just get OEM or is there an aftermarket that's better. Also, going to need some shocks in the next couple months.
May You Thrive!!

David
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Firstoneman wrote:
Cheetah Drakie wrote:Jip, have to agree. The 2.7 motor is awesome. Mine has done 570 000 km, and still going very well. Did the SAC conversion at 525 000. Unbelievable motors.
Hey, what's the SAC conversion?
Steve's Auto Clinic. They almost mastered the art of turning more power out of the 2.7 motor. Gas flow the heads, put new cam's in, modify the air intake to improve breathing, chip and free flow exhaust. Just go to www.steves.co.za.

I am very happy. Gave my car a new lease on life for sure. More power, and at times when I drive decent, better consumption.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Cheetah Drakie wrote:Steve's Auto Clinic. They almost mastered the art of turning more power out of the 2.7 motor. Gas flow the heads, put new cam's in, modify the air intake to improve breathing, chip and free flow exhaust. Just go to http://www.steves.co.za.

I am very happy. Gave my car a new lease on life for sure. More power, and at times when I drive decent, better consumption.
Will look into this soon. Once I get a vehicle these days I like to do upgrades quickly, if affordable at the time. I posted a question in surf and workshop forum about radiator replacement….still looking for recommendations on what to do for the replacement…got any ideas?

And, why do you say…"they **almost** mastered…"
Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi David. SAC Nelspruits is very good. Not tooo far away from you. I got very good service from them om my 2.7. The owner had one and understood the motor
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

george wrote:Hi David. SAC Nelspruits is very good. Not tooo far away from you. I got very good service from them om my 2.7. The owner had one and understood the motor
Thank you George. I do get up to Nelspruit regularly - so I will look into them. Thanks for your time.
May You Thrive!!

David
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Agree with George. His name is Bossau, He originally mapped my chip, and later after the SAC guys at their Head Office in Vd Bijl did the gas flow of the head, etc I had the chip re-mapped, and the exhaust free-flowed in Nelspruit. Great service
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Cheetah Drakie wrote:Agree with George. His name is Bossau, He originally mapped my chip, and later after the SAC guys at their Head Office in Vd Bijl did the gas flow of the head, etc I had the chip re-mapped, and the exhaust free-flowed in Nelspruit. Great service
Thanks. Now on my list of service providers. Going to call to see if he can tell me options for what to do about the radiator.
I've never had a an engine rebored and modded like yours…what does it mean to "gas flow the head"? When they modded the engine, did they install a larger aftermarket radiator? Looking for an answer for my radiator question. Since I have received no replies to either of my threads in the Surf and Workshop forums I wonder if that means everyone uses the stock OEM solution and there is no need for a larger unit - even down here in Moz. Thanks.
May You Thrive!!

David
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

It basically just optimises the combustion in the head, so that you have optimum power. Better oxygen and fuel mixture equals a better combustion.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Cheetah Drakie wrote:It basically just optimises the combustion in the head, so that you have optimum power. Better oxygen and fuel mixture equals a better combustion.
Thanks for the education Peter. Are you using a stock radiator in your vehicle? Thanks.
May You Thrive!!

David
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Yes I haven't had any problems with radiator at all. Apart from the SAC conversion, and an ARB bulbar, my car is stock standard. Even still have the steel rims :D:
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Cheetah Drakie wrote:Yes I haven't had any problems with radiator at all. Apart from the SAC conversion, and an ARB bulbar, my car is stock standard. Even still have the steel rims :D:
Good to know Toyota did a good job in designing these systems. Do wonder if my "designed for Japan" Toyota radiator is up to the task here in Mozambique. Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David
4x4KindaGuy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Tampa
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by 4x4KindaGuy »

nice looking ride you got there.

Return to “Pictures Only - Post a pic of your Hilux”