Club - Why ?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Club - Why ?

Post by Bloues »

Hi,
Just thinking - why do we "sigh-on" to a club ?

I joined to learn more about 4x4'ing.......
:yahoo:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Re: Club - Why ?

Post by Harold »

I am a club member: but I am beginning to ask myself the same question?

It would seem that the emphasis is to make us all the same, regulation & control is the name of the game.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Not recommended to go off road alone - looking for likeminded people to do some overlanding.

NOT sure if I am too interested in the rest of the "club mentality"
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Going off road alone?

Why need a club - one could find like minded people on the forum as it is.

In any case there is nothing said in the CLUB to cater for Overlanding.
We need to make a distinction between 'weekend' 4x4 trails and Overland travel that involves a much longer time frame into the hinterland of Africa.

I am not a 4x4 trail person - my choice is overland travel and I prefer to go-it-alone. Groups usually have fixed schedules & plans whereas I choose to be free to drift as and when I choose.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Because it is cool. :mrgreen:

Know what you don't know.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Club....good question?

My passion for Toyota's, in particular Hilux's. I am prob. x10 worse than a LR finatic - when it comes to Hilux's!!!

Why...another question?

Well, what can I say, we have met awsome, interesting folk, likeminded people, we would never have met :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

On a bit more serious point.
People with a shared interest and passion. And through Clubs and Forums I have made great, lifelong friends without equal.

truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ek hou ook nie van CLUBS nie, die naaste aan n club waar ek kom is hier saam met julle op die forum :blushing: , Daars te veel reels en regilasies vir my, :boredom: ek verstaan hoekom dit daar is, maar dit werk nie vir my nie, ek en n groep vriende van verskuie ouderdom ry gereeld op ons jaarlikse overland trips saam, en van tyd tot tyd kom nuwe mense ook saam, hulle hou altans nie te lank nie, want ons groep ry al vir die afgelope 6 jaar saam, en so ken ons al mekaar se streke en late, ons het nie n lys reels nie net die "unspoken rules" van overland, (moenie die natuur opneuk nie, al wat jy in die bos los is die spore in die sand, ens) :heart:
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I don't want to member of any club that would allow me as member!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Remember before we formed the club we asked the members if we should do it or not.
I for one is also not a club person, I like the more informal type of life.

BUT we formed the club at the time for two reasons:
1. So that we could join the AAWDC, at the time you had to be a club to be able to join and we wanted to be part of them for this whole offroad training NOW thing.
2. The other reason was so that we can get radio licenses with ORRA which you could also only do if you are a member of AAWDC which you could only be if you are a member of a club.

There did come some good out of the club. Because of the club we had money to help charities, buy those tear drop banners and so on.

At one outing we even got a discount on the weekend's camping and 4x4'ing which we left in the club' account. Sometimes it helps to be a club to get discount.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

pietpetoors wrote:Remember before we formed the club we asked the members if we should do it or not.
I for one is also not a club person, I like the more informal type of life.

BUT we formed the club at the time for two reasons:
1. So that we could join the AAWDC, at the time you had to be a club to be able to join and we wanted to be part of them for this whole offroad training NOW thing.
2. The other reason was so that we can get radio licenses with ORRA which you could also only do if you are a member of AAWDC which you could only be if you are a member of a club.

There did come some good out of the club. Because of the club we had money to help charities, buy those tear drop banners and so on.

At one outing we even got a discount on the weekend's camping and 4x4'ing which we left in the club' account. Sometimes it helps to be a club to get discount.
Sometimes you tend to forget the little things. :clap:

andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

dis okay om met ouens te chat wat die selfde belangstelling het en ons ou volkie het maar daai ding van belonging aan iets
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I would like to support Pieter in this. We need to be "legal" and set an example if we wanna continue exploring the continent.
Harold wrote:In any case there is nothing said in the CLUB to cater for Overlanding.
We need to make a distinction between 'weekend' 4x4 trails and Overland travel that involves a much longer time frame into the hinterland of Africa.
With regards to Harold's remark, I would like to propose that we as a club set up an bi annual longer distance trip for those that want to go on overlanding trips. Also I propose that we have quarterly weekend away trips as a club event to new places that is within reach of surrounding area's.
Johan Marais
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

johan
that sounds lekker we must defniatly do this we have a ops room specialy for planning these outings at a local pub here in sasolburg the next meeting is 20 aug 16h00 should you be interested to join us ..........we plan to visit angols in march 2011
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Just to add to what's already been said, here's a comment made in the club section under "Value added".

Mud Dog wrote:
That's good to hear Pieter.
Agreed Johan, and it all goes without saying, but it's till a bit of a 'catch 22' .... no deals without numbers, no numbers without deals. It is nonetheless something to work towards and in the interim we should perhaps take stock of the current benefits of belonging to the club as well as the reasons why it was started in the first place i.e. affiliation to the AAWDC to have a voice in the NOW initiative.

4x4 Access to eco sensitive areas is being restricted (beaches and next will be sections of game parks, estuaries etc. etc.) largely due to the antics of some 'loose cannons'. The authorities recognise that there will be more accountability and responsibility from the off-roader that is affiliated to an accredited club (which we now are). The NOW initiative is giving us (the club affiliated off road fraternity) a voice and the opportunity of being in part self regulatory and proving our worthiness of retaining less restricted access. Hennie can give more feedback on all this, but what I'm saying is let's not loose sight of the bigger picture and the benefits of club affiliation therein.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Open Discussion”