Garmin Nuvi Product Safety Recall

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Garmin Nuvi Product Safety Recall

Post by Family_Dog »

I had already posted this, but cannot find it. My own Nuvi is affected.

Service Alert 1035
25 August 2010

*** PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL ***
Service Alert Number: 1035

TO: Automotive Business Partners & End Users
DATE: 25 August 2010
SUBJECT: Potential safety issue – Limited nüvi ® recall
====================================================================

DESCRIPTION

Garmin is voluntarily recalling certain nüvi devices that contain a specific battery that was
manufactured by the battery supplier within a limited date code range. Garmin has identified
potential overheating issues when certain batteries manufactured by the third-party battery
supplier within a limited date code range are used in certain Garmin nüvi models with a specific
printed circuit board (PCB) design. It appears that the interaction of these factors can, in rare
circumstances, increase the possibility of overheating, which may lead to a fire hazard.
Although there have been no injuries or significant property damage caused by this issue,
Garmin is taking this action out of an abundance of caution.

AFFECTED PRODUCTS

The recalled devices include a small subset of the following nüvi model numbers:
• nüvi 200W, 250W and 260W
• nüvi 7xx and 7xxT (where xx is a two-digit number)

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

Determine your nüvi model and serial number by looking at the label on the back or bottom of
your nüvi. You must provide this and other information to determine whether your nüvi is
affected by this recall.

To easily and quickly determine whether your nüvi is affected, go to
http://www.garmin.com/nuvibatterypcbrecall
If you do not have access to the Web site:
• In South Africa, call 0861-GARMIN / 0861-427646
• In Southern Africa, call +27 11 251-9999
• In the rest of Africa, call +44 870 850 1242

RESOLUTION

If you determine that your nüvi is affected by this recall, you must immediately stop using the
device and follow the instructions as provided. The unit will be collected & once the service is
concluded, your nüvi will be immediately returned to you. You will not have to pay for any
associated service or shipping charges, if the correct procedure is followed.

Do not attempt to remove the battery yourself. Promptly discharge the battery in any recalled
nüvi devices to eliminate the possibility of the battery overheating. To safely discharge the
battery, perform the following actions in order:
1. Disconnect the nüvi from all power cables and mounts.
2. Turn on the nüvi. The top right corner of the nüvi main menu displays the battery
symbol and indicates the current battery charge level.
3. Let the nüvi sit until the battery is completely discharged and the nüvi turns itself off.
4. Do not re-charge or continue to use a recalled nüvi.

CONCLUSION

We also take this opportunity to re-emphasise that Garmin’s existing product literature for nüvi
devices instructs and warns customers not to expose the products to extremely high temperatures
by leaving nüvi units in the windshield while unattended because of the extremely high
temperatures that can be reached on a car dashboard on a hot, sunny day. These high
temperatures can cause the battery to swell, which could contribute to overheating risks.

Garmin sincerely apologises for the inconvenience that this matter has caused. We value your
business and your faith in our company and want to maintain your confidence in and support of
our entire line of products. Even through our handling of this incident, we endeavour to retain
and strengthen your trust in the future.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Re: Garmin Nuvi Product Safety Recall

Post by Family_Dog »

Affected Nuvi-users will receive this email from Garmin:

Dear Garmin User

This communication serves to confirm that you are registered with the Garmin nüvi Battery PCB Recall program and that Garmin Distribution Africa (GDA) will commence with device exchanges during this week.

Recalled units will be exchanged for like units i.e. a recalled nüvi 200W will be replaced with a nüvi 200W, a nüvi 710 will be replaced with a nüvi 710 etc.

All replacement units will be supplied, pre-loaded, with the latest version of Garmap Southern Africa Streetmaps, currently version 2010.2. As a bonus, users will be able to upgrade, at no map charge, to Streetmaps version 2010.3 due for release later this year. (Data costs will however be for the users account e.g. data download from the Garmap website or purchase of the Garmap Retail Pack DVD 3rd Edition @ R20.00).

Replacement devices will carry a standard 90-day warranty.

Replacement devices will be provided without any accessories. Users must therefore not return any of the existing accessories – ONLY THE ACTUAL RECALLED DEVICE. Please ensure that any SD cards are removed from the Recalled device and that your user data has been backed up accordingly - for assistance in this regard, please contact the Help Desk on 0861-GARMIN. (Please note that we will be unable to assist with data retrieval on Recalled devices once they have been exchanged.)

The exchange process will run as follows, subject to the availability of product:

- GDA will be using the received date / time stamp from incoming Recall Submissions emails provided directly from Garmin USA Recall web site as the priority basis for the exchange program. In other words “First In, First Out”.

- You will be notified, via email, that our courier company (RAM Couriers) have been instructed to collect & exchange the RECALLED DEVICE from you; typically with 2 working days notice. RAM Couriers will not do the exchange if the Recalled device is not provided at the time of their call.

We will be unable to process your device exchange if you have only provided a Postal Address. If so, please send an email with the following data to techupdates@garmin.co.za:

• Your full name & surname

• The RMA Confirmation Number provided by Garmin OR the Recalled device model & serial number.

• A full street address (including Postal Code) where RAM Couriers will be able to reach you during normal office hours.

• Your contact telephone number(s).

GDA would like to thank users for their kind and continued patience and assure you that we are doing our utmost to get Recalled devices exchanged as quickly as possible.

Regards.
Team Garmin

----

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx Eric, that's pretty good service :thumbup:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Received my brand new Nuvi 710 this morning, still have two others to receive, belonging to Customers. Seems they do this on a "first come, first serve" basis.

-F_D

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

I got my 205W last week, and the service was very quick and very reliable.

Know what you don't know.
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

UNfortunatelly for me, my NUVI 760 is not one that is faulty.....I would have liked to get a new one :shifty:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

0000DS wrote:UNfortunatelly for me, my NUVI 760 is not one that is faulty.....I would have liked to get a new one :shifty:
I know that itch. :blushing:

I've got a perfectly good working 200W (now brand new with newest mapsets). And I really am looking hard at a 500 or 1410.

I am particularly lucky with my 200, as many knows I bought it at Incredible Connection on a Demo sale, and the next day found out that it was due for replacement on the recall. :cooldude: Ok, given I did have to wait about 2-3 weeks for them to deliver my new one.

Know what you don't know.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've been happy with my 500 ..... suitable and adequate for my needs. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jcmeyer15
Town: randburg
Vehicle: hilux 3l D4D

Post by jcmeyer15 »

wow had the same problem but already bought a new one thanx for the heads up.

Return to “Open Discussion”