DSTv

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

DSTv

Post by ChrisF »

Sunday afternoon, and time for the Monaco F1 race .....

After some playing with the remote I figure out the following :

1) Last month the subscription went up.

2) This month "my" F1 is removed from the standard sport channels, and are now only on the HD channels. (The F1 will only be broadcast later tonight, when my wife wants to watch movies ....)

So I am sitting here, pondering why I am paying more and getting less ......

Now before you suggest I go the dual view and HD route - WHY must I pay 20% more than last month for the "same" programming ? We never needed dual view, nor are we interested in HD. But now the stratagests at DSTv is pushing my hand ..... and I DONT like being pushed !

Now I HOPE they do the same with MotoGP, then there really is no more use in DSTv for me .... Time to have another look at TopTv me thinks.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Re: DSTv

Post by kfxnando »

watching it on channel 208

and then you have a choice of language between Portuguese and English comments!!

self also missed the 1st 9 laps, as its marked as something else!!!

DSTV is going for a ball of . . . . . . .

:evil: :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No longer worth it IMO .... hasn't been for a while already. I've already cancelled my subscription until such time that they allow ME to choose a bouquet that is suitable to ME, not what they dictate. :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Fernando I missed the first 11 laps, plus all the "pit talk" before the time. :(

Fernando what really gets to me is that I even did a search on the e-tv guide - the ONLY F1 shown was the late broadcast.

at least it was one of the better races in a long time.
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Dankie ek kon darm die laaste paar laps sien. DSt............................. :blackeye:
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Bartho »

I have found it much more economical to invest in hard drives :)

There's plenty movies around and with 3 terra bytes of dedicated movie space plus a multimedia player we can decide what we want to watch and when.
The rest is being covered with internet access.

Paying Mnet these amounts is an absolute rip-off
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

ChrisF wrote:Fernando I missed the first 11 laps, plus all the "pit talk" before the time. :(

Fernando what really gets to me is that I even did a search on the e-tv guide - the ONLY F1 shown was the late broadcast.

yep, I found it by accident couz I went through channel for channel

at least it was one of the better races in a long time.
Mud Dog wrote:No longer worth it IMO .... hasn't been for a while already. I've already cancelled my subscription until such time that they allow ME to choose a bouquet that is suitable to ME, not what they dictate. :(
yep one of the better races in a long time
then add all the repeats, uncompleted series, the showing of the wrong episodes!!

and I can sense a move, agree 100% on this one!!

slight off topic, any one watch NASS car, way better racing, and they overtake
and something we can all relate, Ford, Chev, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler
those motors are based on production motors, and those parts can be bought with enough $$

F1, now 2.4L V8 macking 750hp, where is the 1000hp days??

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ChrisF wrote:Sunday afternoon, and time for the Monaco F1 race .....

After some playing with the remote I figure out the following :

1) Last month the subscription went up.

2) This month "my" F1 is removed from the standard sport channels, and are now only on the HD channels. (The F1 will only be broadcast later tonight, when my wife wants to watch movies ....)

So I am sitting here, pondering why I am paying more and getting less ......

Now before you suggest I go the dual view and HD route - WHY must I pay 20% more than last month for the "same" programming ? We never needed dual view, nor are we interested in HD. But now the stratagests at DSTv is pushing my hand ..... and I DONT like being pushed !

Now I HOPE they do the same with MotoGP, then there really is no more use in DSTv for me .... Time to have another look at TopTv me thinks.
That is how they make their money. Now everyone will buy HD pvr and and and....

Top tv is crap. The best option is lower than DSTV Compact.

Thats how we in SA always trek aan die kort ent.
Sent from my iPhone
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

I see it like this.Go the HD and PVR way,everybody is happy,you can record...get the bigger picture and with your old singe view decoder as extra view things can't get better.I also didn't want to spend that money on equipment but for the sake of my own sanity,I had to.Now my little princess can watch KOWEE and all her cartoons without me getting some lip.Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow mate.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hentey is just the wife and I - Sunday afternoon I watch my F1, int he evening we enjoy a movie together.

So really DONT "need" more than one channel. and I dont "want" HD, now these guys are trying to "blackmail" me to go this route ..... aint gonna happen !

Thomas I know that should I got the TopTv route sport is "no more" ... but I DONT watch "ball sports" (rugby, cricket, soccer, etc), now if these people star messing with my motorsports it is only the repeat movies that remains.....

Thomas how does the TopTv and DSTv movies and series compare ? (as this might be the final decider)

PS - that R300+ saving per month is the camping fees for yet another weekend away .....
Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

...makes you think why their slogan is "So much more....(fill in the blanks here) "!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
BosveldBul
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4-D 4x4

DSTv

Post by BosveldBul »

I switched my DStv off about 18 months ago. The first week or two takes getting used to, but then you realize the amount of crap you were forced to watch. Do you realize I haven't seen an advert on soap or shampoo or anything the past 18 months! How awesome is that!

I now own a full HD media player and I can watch movies and series (long before they show them on DStv) when ever I want without any ads.

I do miss sport now and again, but most rugby games I watch when we braai with friends or family and if you like MotoGP you should find a live internet stream using google. I had one up till recent but it was shut down, so I'll google sum more. But after a while you'll also realize that there is a good, quality life after sport.

When they bring out a sport only offering I might reconsider one day, if it offers good value for my money.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

MultiChoice has started a campaign against the MNET viewers as well. On the kids side, they've canceled the K-TV show & cartoons, which ran every weekday afternoon and weekend mornings. They often start a new series on MNET, and then make it DSTV only after season 1, this they did with one of my fav's House. Then they dropped the 6 to 8 local series' and replaced it with 2 hours of KykNet, which honestly sucks. This all in an attempt to make people switch to DSTV.

I've also started getting the movies and series' I like straight off the web. My blu-ray player has a built-in media player which makes life really easy! Watch what I like when I like. I even found a website that streams the S15 games live!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The only things I still miss is 'Discovery' and 'Nat. Geographic' (& maybe Reality) .... the rest I can get by without, even the sport ... the games I want to watch are mostly televised a little later on one of the SABC channels anyway. When I think what I was getting for 6K a year, I know I was being ripped a new one.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

so who of you have gotten TopTv after canceling DSTv ?

My boss sent a "strongly worded" email to DSTv about the Monaco F1, I have also just sent one ..... I just want them to confirm if F1 will now only be available on HD .....

I can see my DSTv being cancelled SHORTLY ! But my wife likes her movies and series, so I just hope that TopTv can fill that void.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Chris.Was also weewee'd off yesterday :evil:
here is another discussion http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=12314&page=2
Looks like you can watch it on Maximo. Didn't even know about the channel
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Mr_B wrote:I've also started getting the movies and series' I like straight off the web. My blu-ray player has a built-in media player which makes life really easy! Watch what I like when I like. I even found a website that streams the S15 games live!
DSTV sux! :evil: I'm seriously considering getting a decent setup with uncapped internet & TV card, so I can also view from the web. :crazy:
Any guidance as far as this is concerned would be appreciated. :think: :think:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

MWEB uncapped ADSL is probably the best value for money, you still need a Telkom ADSL line though, which will set you back say R500... or you can get a MWEB combo package(line+data) for R899/month. Get yourself a wireless ADSL router... and a media player that also has wireless connectivity like this one Western Digital Live Plus: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320(get the optional wireless USB goody). Then you can stream movie and series' from your PC straight to your TV! Download what you want and watch it when you want!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mr_B wrote:MWEB uncapped ADSL is probably the best value for money, you still need a Telkom ADSL line though, which will set you back say R500... or you can get a MWEB combo package(line+data) for R899/month. Get yourself a wireless ADSL router... and a media player that also has wireless connectivity like this one Western Digital Live Plus: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320(get the optional wireless USB goody). Then you can stream movie and series' from your PC straight to your TV! Download what you want and watch it when you want!
I like mr B. What does something like this cost and where?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Mr_B wrote:MWEB uncapped ADSL is probably the best value for money, you still need a Telkom ADSL line though, which will set you back say R500... or you can get a MWEB combo package(line+data) for R899/month. Get yourself a wireless ADSL router... and a media player that also has wireless connectivity like this one Western Digital Live Plus: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320(get the optional wireless USB goody). Then you can stream movie and series' from your PC straight to your TV! Download what you want and watch it when you want!

Mr B.....since you seem to be almost as knowledgeable as Mud Dog , I might have to change my signature to........"B.....Glorious B"

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:laugh2: :laugh2: .... Just don't ask me about computers and electronics! :D:
I was quite proud of myself for setting up a wireless network between my router, PC and Laptop! More fluke than brains! ;-)

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

There's alot of options out there! I've got a Philips blu ray player with a built-in media player. I have an external USB harddrive plugged into player with all the kids movies on it in AVI format. So no scratched and misplaced DVD's. Works great. Units like the Western Digital player I mentioned above are great, you have multiple connectivity options(HDMI, component and composite) and can play back a vast variety of HD and SD formats. You can connect it to a wired or wireless network and/or connect an external USB drive with all your movies on.

I'm still going to get one and a 2TB external drive!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Cost and where:

Online supplier:
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-west ... 47586.html

Chaos Computers, they in Cape Gate and Kenridge centre:
http://www.chaoscomputers.co.za/product ... a-players/

I see WD has 2 new integrated units, media player and drive in one, 1TB or 2TB drive. Personally I would get one without drive, so you can buy a bigger drive as you need and it's portable!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You can change the signature now, Tiaan! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

To all who are not satisfied with DSTV's '*&%$' service and continual repeats of the same 'ol thing; write and tell them.
Maybe they are not aware of how many dissatisfied cutomers they have!

Time we had another TV service provider.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Self only have DSTV now for 18mths..also a bit g@tvol....on my second decoder already :evil:
Funny how they double charge you everyday you're payment is late, but you don't get a refund for the days when they mess up...or when one lost cloud in Randburg makes the signal disappear.

@ Andy: you're not missing much on Discovery..a load of crap on there lately...
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Mr_B wrote:Cost and where:

Online supplier:
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-west ... 47586.html

Chaos Computers, they in Cape Gate and Kenridge centre:
http://www.chaoscomputers.co.za/product ... a-players/

I see WD has 2 new integrated units, media player and drive in one, 1TB or 2TB drive. Personally I would get one without drive, so you can buy a bigger drive as you need and it's portable!

There is a CHAOS shop at Somerset Mall. I'll go have a chat with those guys.

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Can i buy anyones HD PVR if your selling, willing to pay R 100. :laugh2:

Return to “Open Discussion”