Fuel Price?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Fuel Price?

Post by pietpetoors »

I can never understand the "logic" about the fuel price.

The oil price is at a long time low, today $76 per barrel.

A while ago when the rand was hovering around R7.50 to the dollar and oil price around $115 per barrel the fuel price remained stable.

Now the rand went up to R8.20 and the oil price came down to $80 per barrel and our brilliant government decided to increase the fuel price and their (as always) lame excuse is because the rand weakened to the dollar.

Am I missing something here? Somewhere something is terribly wrong.
Seems the government is bull $ hitting the whole country about this.

Now because the fuel price goes up for no real reason, transport will become more expensive and soon the price of everything else will increase, but our government is too dof to understand that. But don't worry, they will still tell you that inflation is only 5%
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Fuel Price?

Post by JohanM »

Pieter,

not trying to be funny here, but there is no logic when it comes to our goverment and there lame explanations....

They are bullying us to line their pockets with our money. Always the same story. With your explanation to how they oil price and fuel price relate, im with you on that one, they are obviously misleading the public here, and most of the population are to ill minded to see what is actually going on.
Johan Marais
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Brent Crude Oil has not been below $100 since Feb this year. :shock2:
I think you're looking at the CRUDE Oil price, but the Brent Crude Oil price is the average they use to calculate the fuel price ripoff.
Oh, and this was included in the hike motivation:
This hike is necessary to cater for wage increases of 9% this year for service station industry staff agreed between unions and the Petroleum Retailers Alignment Forum.
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Motorists- ... e-20110930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image Image Image
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

The goverment is using this excuse of the fuel increase every year. :evil:
I sometimes wonder what is behind this. :fedup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks Roy, maybe I hold the cat on the back side then
I just check the Oil price on my trading platform.
Attached is the picture I see each day and then I have to hear that the fuel pric goes up, but my pictures shows a downward trend.

Think you are right, I did not think about oil vs brent crude
Attachments
Oil price
Oil price
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
KPC
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d d/c

Post by KPC »

The explanation is so that the servise station can made an 15c p/l profit increase. I still think that the Gov is stealing our money.
Royco

Post by Royco »

Besides the actual oil figures, I'm pretty sure that they have some sort of weird way of working the fuel price out.
Often it would appear (to me) that the R/$ and Oil price improves and we get a 3c reduction, then a little bump in the exchange rate - BAM! R1.15 price increase.... :shock2: :shock2:
And yes, this does affect the inflation rate!!
Image Image Image Image
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Pieter, don't know where you saw that price for oil. The price I have seen is $107, but I agree with you anyway on the price. They just keep loading tax onto the fuel which is why it keeps going up.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Roy was right, I saw the normal crude price not the brent crude
See the difference in price at
http://www.oil-price.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Hey, it is not only us, look on the oil site I referred to just now, check this article:
http://www.oil-price.net/en/articles/re ... -slide.php
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

In SA price of oil 20%, Tax 50%, Bribes 10%, Supporting the taxis 10% and the rest 10%
Royco

Post by Royco »

Here's an interesting flash picture on the cost breakdown.
http://www.sasol.com/sasol_internet/fro ... price.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I think Mark has it 100%... :D:
Image Image Image Image
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Today I feel like a very rich man, I own a Hilux WITH A FULL TANK of PETROL
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

You have made the oil sheik very happy and to make him even more happy you can fill up my tank as well :lmao:
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

well allow me to pop the bubble that the government is robbing us
nothing would give me more pleasure then to be able to prove this, however in this case besides the taxes levied on the price of fuel its not happening

one needs to look at that oil cost here by us
take the price of oil, where we get it from, not that 80odd $$, that is what the Americans are getting it for, and the difference has never been that big, and multiply it by the Rand/$ exchange rate, and you will be shocked at what it comes to

self have tracked it from time to time however have not updated it regularly, as I keep saying that I will :o:

http://www.kfxnando.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

self would not be surprised if we end up paying 11 to the liter soon, however with another recession looming, we could end up with the price of oil collapsing again, that is what happened last time

sorry crystal ball broken :beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

So explain what is the issue with Sasol since it is not made from oil and is supposed to subsidise our petrol.
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

toll roads they said no increase in levies to pay, so law abiding road users pay tolls, and they increase the fuel price no reason to fund it. So if you abey and comply you pay double.
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:So explain what is the issue with Sasol since it is not made from oil and is supposed to subsidise our petrol.

sasol, now that is the big rip off, hence how sasol makes profit, as the agreement that their price will reflect the price of crude oil

and from their profits they are about to expand :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

So we continue to get shafted. If neighboring countries were closer I would fill up there since petrol is cheaper and we supply them too.
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

kfxnando wrote:
Gunta wrote:So explain what is the issue with Sasol since it is not made from oil and is supposed to subsidise our petrol.

sasol, now that is the big rip off, hence how sasol makes profit, as the agreement that their price will reflect the price of crude oil

and from their profits they are about to expand :beach:
Remember that Sasol are currently on shutdown and production is down to 30%. They have to increase the price to pay us poor buggers who work our butts off to get them back online :twisted:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Why is Sasol on shutdown?
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Gunta wrote:Why is Sasol on shutdown?
Annual maintenance routine
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

So why do they have to shut down to do maintenance. Surely they can do maintenance at the same time without having to shutdown.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Mark, for safety reasons shut down is nessasery
it also allows to make sure that when the plant runs, the chances of a breakdown is minimised

also have friends and family at secunda, and yes they are busy with a shut down

oone of the things they are busy with is changing the air filters on those stacks/towers to clean up the air around there :tease: :tease:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/energy ... o-drop-69c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THE price of all grades of petrol will drop by 69c a litre next week, the energy department said.
The price of diesel (0.05% sulphur) will decrease by 53.50c a litre, and that of diesel (0.005% sulphur) by 54.30c a litre.
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

IIRC they also said that there may be a further fuel cut on the horizon if the situation remains stable. :think:

They seem to do this every year around this time so as to 'assist' holiday travellers and make everyone a bit more pleased with their efforts, but come January the price goes up beyond where it was before the December cut/s. :crazy:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Saw something on news 24 that the oil barons of Saudi are trying to force the yanks and there oil they get from there fracing into a price war. This can only be a good thing for us.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:Saw something on news 24 that the oil barons of Saudi are trying to force the yanks and there oil they get from there fracing into a price war. This can only be a good thing for us.
by all accounts the OPEC group wants to LOWER oil prices for a period of two years to kill off alternative fuel programmes ...

let's see how this one plays out.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Why must diesel always come down less than petrol? Diesel is a by-product from petrol....?Surely it can go down at least the same as petrol.
Sent from my iPhone
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

by all accounts the OPEC group wants to LOWER oil prices for a period of two years to kill off alternative fuel programmes ..
I think it is too late for them now. They dug their own graves.
If the fuel price comes down, many alternative fuel projects will halt or slow down. But because fuel price as so high for so long, the electric car market boomed and huge industries were developed because of high fuel prices. Those electric car factories will not go away, they will just keep on growing.

There are Cities in Taiwan where their whole public transport bus fleets are already running 100% electric buses. There are Chinese companies who are building thousands of electric cars per year and when in China you hardly ever see a petrol scooter or bike, they are all electric. It is only in SA that we take long to adapt.

The world saw that they cannot trust the oil producers. Alternative fuels may go away with lower fuel prices, but electric vehicles will not.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

pietpetoors wrote:
by all accounts the OPEC group wants to LOWER oil prices for a period of two years to kill off alternative fuel programmes ..
I think it is too late for them now. They dug their own graves.
If the fuel price comes down, many alternative fuel projects will halt or slow down. But because fuel price as so high for so long, the electric car market boomed and huge industries were developed because of high fuel prices. Those electric car factories will not go away, they will just keep on growing.

There are Cities in Taiwan where their whole public transport bus fleets are already running 100% electric buses. There are Chinese companies who are building thousands of electric cars per year and when in China you hardly ever see a petrol scooter or bike, they are all electric. It is only in SA that we take long to adapt.

The world saw that they cannot trust the oil producers. Alternative fuels may go away with lower fuel prices, but electric vehicles will not.
SA is actually ahead of time. By when SA have 100% vehicles running "electrically", we are all stuffed because of the huge increases we are going to face for the next 8 years because of Eskom not calculating correctly what they need to run SA effectively with power. But in the mean time it was the plan of Eskom all along! Not even electricity will be cheap!
Sent from my iPhone

Return to “Open Discussion”