SsangYong Musso

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

SsangYong Musso

Post by Animul »

What do you think of a SsangYong Musso? I personally want to throw up when I see it but I can get one 4x4 in daily use for R8000, mechanically sound and body needs some attention.

I can just imagine it is something else when driving it. What the 4x4 capability like?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: SsangYong Musso

Post by pietpetoors »

I personally want to throw up when I see it
Ditto

R8k, best thing you can do is take it, fix it up a bit and sell for R20k then spend the money on your Jeep
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

My oom in Bloem het desjare so mooi rooi SFA gehad. Die het hy verkoop en 'n nuwe Musso gekoop - en hy was heel beindruk met die kar se capabilities!

Ou tegnologie Merc enjin en Borg Warner T5 ratkas - 'n baie betroubare combo!

As jy hom nie vat nie, stuur asb die detail aan, ek sal baie belangstel!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

I bought one as a cheap 4x4 while I rebuilt my Hilux.
I have now done 50 000km since I bought it and I love it!
Parts are cheap and its easy to fix
I have done Hennops 4x4 trail and de Wildt - several times
It has taken my family (5 of us) and a ton of gear to Kosi Bay, Namibia and Zim.

The first time I went to Hennops all the expensive machinery would stop at the obsticles and all the manne would get out to watch me and my "Moose" I made it up and over each one with ease - the old Merc diesel is a pleasure!

The guys would all cheer and clap, taking pictures and video... by the 4th obsticle they had all got bored as I wasnt getting stuck.
In fact I takled obsticles that a few guys were scared to in their Jeeps! I wasnt worried about a few scratches on my R25k van but they were, Jeeps are pricey.

For what my "Moose" can do and where it has taken me its not worth selling - I will keep it forever
Moose.jpg
Moose.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx for that, shows that uninformed people like me should rather keep quiet before we say something
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Post by Animul »

krazy_kameleon wrote:I bought one as a cheap 4x4 while I rebuilt my Hilux.
I have now done 50 000km since I bought it and I love it!
Parts are cheap and its easy to fix
I have done Hennops 4x4 trail and de Wildt - several times
It has taken my family (5 of us) and a ton of gear to Kosi Bay, Namibia and Zim.

The first time I went to Hennops all the expensive machinery would stop at the obsticles and all the manne would get out to watch me and my "Moose" I made it up and over each one with ease - the old Merc diesel is a pleasure!

The guys would all cheer and clap, taking pictures and video... by the 4th obsticle they had all got bored as I wasnt getting stuck.
In fact I takled obsticles that a few guys were scared to in their Jeeps! I wasnt worried about a few scratches on my R25k van but they were, Jeeps are pricey.

For what my "Moose" can do and where it has taken me its not worth selling - I will keep it forever
The attachment Moose.jpg is no longer available
Thanks for the confirmation. I will proceed, if I dont like it I will sell it ... I can also take my Sagrysie anywhere then ...
Sagrysie 2.jpg
Sagrysie 2.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Sagrysie 1.jpg
Sagrysie 1.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

pietpetoors wrote:Thanx for that, shows that uninformed people like me should rather keep quiet before we say something
Hehe
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

No worries Pieter, I agree the look is not that great. The Koreans have always had odd styling but having said that, look how far Hyundai has come.

The Musso's strong point is sand (apparently snow too according to the icelanders who love these things) I pulled a Prado out when we were last at Bhenga Nek much to the embarresment of the 2 blokes driving it. The achilles heel is rocks and axle twisters as the articulation is not great and there is no diff-lock but as I said before I have gone into some CRAZY obsticles trying to get stuck and have always made it through.
My mate with an 80 series cruiser was really impressed with the packing space in the musso too
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Animul »

Sal ek Koos se Klim kan doen by Mogatle soos wat ek met die Rubicon gedoen het? :D: :D:
doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

Nie regtig so 'n sleg voertuig nie, ek reken net baie onder gewaardeer, daarom sy sleg boeke waarde, maar beslis goeie waarde vir die bietjie wat jy betaal vir een. Die ouens wat die hardste huil is die eerste eienaars wat 'n kwaai devaluasie hou vat. Terloop, ek is in besit van 'n baie goeie kompleet diesel masjin 5 cylinder. Prys 12 000-00
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Animul: I don't know about that but I tell you that it won't hurt the pocket as much if the Ssang Yong falls over the edge as it would if you lost your Rubi
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Het nog net gesukkel met hulle, word nie naby my workshop toegelaat nie, as ek hom verniet kry is dit te duur.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Animul »

Hoe so Allan?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Hy is n smartiebox vol parte, iets tussen nissan, borg warner, Merc lookalike Daewoo en wat ookal rondle.
Ek het al diesel en petrol modelle by my gehad, die enjin onderdele is baie moeilik of onmoontlik om te kry en hy lyk net soos n Merc enjin, Merc parte pas gladnie op hom nie, in beide gevalle was die enjin herstelwerk omtrent drie keer meer as sy markwaarde.
Ek dink ook die ou wat ssangyong se "styling" doen is blind in die een oog en die ander oog sien ook niks.
Die enigste voordeel is dat jy hoef hom nie te verseker nie, ek weet nie van een wat al ooit gesteel is nie.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Know two people who had one
bother regret selling them
the one did no off road, so can't comment on that side, however he was getting like around 12km/l

the other only did light off road when the family went on holiday

both were N/A

the second one was lent out and abused by someone in difficulties, sad

both miss their Musso

would I buy one
absolutely, for what they cost and what they are, great value for money

up here in JHB, we have Korean motor spares, and all parts available

go for it :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Stem saam met Hoppy, as hulle loop is dit lekker grot voertuig, maar as hy breek is die agente se parte duur en merc wil niks daarvan weet nie. Het tyd gelde van een gelees waar die ou n kzte motor wou insit. Weet nie wat daarvan geword het nie.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Agents are useless and rightly Merc has no interest in them.

I do my own maintenance and I sourse my own parts.

I needed new steering rack bushes and was told it was discontinued and I needed to buy a new spec rack for over R5000! I jumped on line and bought the bushed from Korea for R35 plus R120 postage.

I can't speak for anyone else, I just know I have only had good experiences and it has been the best value for money vehicle I have ever owned.
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

Hoppy wrote:Hy is n smartiebox vol parte, iets tussen nissan, borg warner, Merc lookalike Daewoo en wat ookal rondle.
Ek het al diesel en petrol modelle by my gehad, die enjin onderdele is baie moeilik of onmoontlik om te kry en hy lyk net soos n Merc enjin, Merc parte pas gladnie op hom nie, in beide gevalle was die enjin herstelwerk omtrent drie keer meer as sy markwaarde.
Ek dink ook die ou wat ssangyong se "styling" doen is blind in die een oog en die ander oog sien ook niks.
Die enigste voordeel is dat jy hoef hom nie te verseker nie, ek weet nie van een wat al ooit gesteel is nie.
+1 Nie eers die skroefdraad op die enjin is dieselfde as merc nie .
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Like I said earlier, I can't speak for others but my engine is fill of lttle Merc signs (3 pointed star) and even the Merc part numbers. When I had the injectors cleaned even they had the Merc part number on them. ??? Only know what I know.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Must admit I've never taken to the vehicle, but that's largely due to it's unusual body styling. I still see the odd one driving about, and what struck me right from when they arrived on the market, was the sticker on the rear announcing "Powered by Mercedes Benz". Despite the styling I thought that if Merc had a hand in it, albeit to just supply the power plant, they could not be too bad mechanically. Borg Warner boxes are also known to be of a high quality standard.

This tread got me thinking and wondering if they were assembled here in EL at the Mercedes plant, but this appears not to be the case. In my search I came across this interesting info ........
safindit.co.za wrote:About

The Korean SsangYong Business Group was founded in 1939 and is now a large conglomerate with interests in cement, oil, paper and financial, information and leisure services. In 1986, SsangYong bought the Ha Dong Hwan Motor Company, which had been making four wheel drives and trucks since 1954.

In 1991, SsangYong formed an alliance with Mercedes Benz, licensing light commercial diesel and petrol engines and other components. The SsangYong Musso has been in production since 1993 and the smaller Korando since 1997.

In 2002 production began of the Rexton and production of Musso Sports Utility began in late 2003. In January 1998, Korean carmaker, Daewoo Motor, took a controlling interest in SsangYong, but during the Asian financial crisis of 1999, the control of SsangYong passed to Korean banks, with Mercedes Benz taking a minor shareholding.

SsangYong the name

SsangYong means twin dragons. It refers to a legend in which two dragons waited 1000 years to fly to dragon heaven. Finally, a single cintamani, which was necessary for the journey, was released.

Each dragon encouraged the other to take it and make the trip until both missed the opportunity. The king of heaven was so touched that he released a second cintamani and thus the two dragons entered heaven together.
;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

My previous Capt had one.
He said it was very capable in the sand and he loved it. I even drove it, and it was very comfortable.
He was very happy until the head got a crack in it.
Hoppy is right, the engine is a parts bin. The block is a old Merc design and they sold the mold to SsangYong. Thats all.
Only the mold. It is a nightmare to fix. My Capt stuggled for 6 weeks to get it sorted and when it was running again, the block
developed a crack in it.

He sold it and bought a Suzuki Jimny.

Would I buy one? No.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I've heard of a few guys who have fitted Lexus V8's, replacing the iffy diesel engines... can't think that would be too bad!
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Mr_B wrote:I've heard of a few guys who have fitted Lexus V8's, replacing the iffy diesel engines... can't think that would be too bad!
Spot on
there are a few of those aroun
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Open Discussion”