Have you ever been scammed or ripped off?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.

Would you buy something through Gumtree

Yes
57%
No
29%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 21

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Have you ever been scammed or ripped off?

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

:oops: :evil: Ja that is the million $$$$$$$$$$$$$ question that I have to ask you all?

Last week I placed an advert on Gumtree, wanting to buy a Toyota 1 DZ-11 diesel engine, thus I received a phone call from a Mr. Chris Howie that told me that he has an engine to sell me and that he is wanting R7 500.00 for it, it comes with a 6 months warranty.

Let me go back two days before this.

Last week on Monday I purchased two Toyota 7 series 2.5 ton forklifts from a company in East London, knowing that the one has engine problems, thus I removed the head and found that the one inlet valve had gone through the side of the cylinder bore, thus I thought it would be better to look around and buy a 2nd hand engine instead, knowing that to fit a sleeve and overhaul this engine will cost about R40 000.00.

Rushing into this deal and not thinking straight, this Chris guy sent me an invoice through his company called SBM Forklifts and he gave me his address as well.

Anyway only after I had transferred the payment, I actually did not feel too good about this later in the evening when I checked up on where he worked, it ended up been in Pongola and the street address that he gave me was in a residential area and there were sugar cane fields across the road, when I phoned and asked him what was across the road, he could not tell me and he said that the houses had been taken down and workshops were put up instead.

Well this is when I knew that I had been ripped off.

His so called driver Jeff did phone me the next day to say that he was on his way to PE to deliver other spares and that he would be in Queenstown by 16h00 that afternoon, this also told me that I had been ripped off.

Anyway I have been to my bank and reported this scam and fraud and as well to the SAP to open a case of fraud, but I know that that will be the end of it.

Please try and contact Chris Howie on his cell phone, he does not answer my calls his number is 082 861 9013
Please try and contact Jeff his so called driver at 082 3484694
Chris email address is chris.sbmforklifts@gmail.com

So be waned about using gumtree to buy something that maybe does not exist?

The loss of the money is not the issue here, I really needed this engine and thus now I have to still look for another engine, somebody from Massina also contacted me, but he can go and sell his so called engine else where, I will never buy another item through Gumtree if the seller is not prepared to trust me and send me the item first, he the seller is not prepared to trust me then they can go and @#^%&(&)_)_ off.

And I will just carry on looking in other places.

Ja so I have been scammed :oops:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: Have you ever been scammed or ripped off?

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Same here, mine ended on a better note. Last year I shopped around for side steps for my Amarok. Couldn't find any on gumtree and decided to go to SA Canopy. After I got off the phone placing my order, a guy from George phones me and told me he got steps for me. Was R1000 cheaper. So, I phoned SA Canopy and cancelled my order, I apologized and said I got it for R1000 cheaper.

The guy also promised me to have it couriered to my place for R100 extra, so I agreed and paid the money in full.......

Saturday came, Saturday went, so I phoned him up, he said he will contact the courier company. The truck broke down, will be here the Sunday. Same story, Sunday came and Sunday went.....more excuses up to Monday....... I realized I got scammed, he even told me that the money is not reflecting so he can't send the goods, so I phoned his bank up (nogal Capitec bank) who confirmed the money was in. I phoned him up and told him the money is in 1 day after we spoke the first time. He was so upset that I went into his "personal" stuff and then my topped flipped!

I've never sweared alot like that in my life and told him if that money is not in my bank account in 12 hours I will put the cops on him, as I got his address, name and bank details and I will break his knees as google earth even shows me his dog on the front porch, so I even know what type of dog his got! 1 hour later all my money paid in my account via Oudtshoorn Capitec........

I always say, some lessons cost R7500 (Like Syron Conv.) and others cost R6 (like me - bank fee for transferring money inside a bank) so I was really lucky.

Lesson 1, gumtree is safe to a point, view the item and pay, if its far away and you cant view it or a friend can't view it, leave it.

Remember, there is honest people out there, I sold my Amarok over gumtree.......money paid and cleared no hassles.....
Sent from my iPhone
SYRON CONVERSIONS

The problem is that I have purchased many forklifts through Gumtree the last few years and I have not had any problems, however this has been the first and speaking to the detective at the SAP he told me that the person that stole my money most proberly the bank account is not even in his name but in some other poor sod that he gave a few rands to to open the account for him.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Sheesh, and I got ticked off when I did not have change for the car guard and the lad ran off with my 10 bucks without giving me change...
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry to hear, Simon! :thumbdown:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Ja my friend I am also sorry.

what i think of these people i will not write here.

simoan
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Simon, send me the address details and all relevant info, I'm going to Pongola in 2 weeks time and can ask around in the mean time if this guys is in town...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

Sorry to hear that, it's very sad. :thumbdown:

I can't see how someone can get by in life and not even have some sort of conscious :irate:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Hi Simmon
I might be off to Musina on Friday if you want me to check out the oke there....
I'm not a mechanic though
082 419 2359
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Good Day Mr Morris

This matter is being registered at the moment. We can confirm that FNB have blocked the account pending the investigation. Part funds were secured.

You need to also report the matter to the Police and let us have the Police details for FNB.
Kind Regards
Babs
It has been reported the the SAP and thus we will wait and see now. this JEFF Thief still answers his phone, which is very interesting as he must thus still be in South Africa, he sounds like a Nigerian, Samolian or GANA and there are young children crying in the back ground and it seems that they answer the phone as well. Why would he still answer his phone?

simoan
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Simon,

The details I got thus far is that the address is a residential home and there is no Forklift businesses in Pongola.

I will do a driveby when I am in town.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

This Jeff guy answers his phone, maybe these guys do not even live in that area, I am going back to the SAP this morning to give them the copy from Nedbank.

Thank you

simoan
coert
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: hilux
Club VHF Licence: none

Post by coert »

Me thinks the people at the rica offices are involved with this scamming things. Bought n new sim kaart this afternoon it took the scammers precise 20min to send me one on of those " congrats your cell number won r500 000 in the vw car thing" so to me it seems the people working in rica's office are having their fingers in the pie as well. So I told them what they can go and do with their mothers sisters and ouma and anties.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

So I get a phone call from the Nedbank here in Queenstown, they tell me to come in and sign some papers, they have some money from this guys bank account at FNB and they want to refund me.

So I go to the bank and they tell me that they are refunding me R2 200.00 , just a small question, could this money have been from the money that they stole from me or could it be from you that was also scammed by them?

At least it is something I suppose that I can still put towards the next engine.
Friday morning I was still up at 1am in the morning so I give the so called driver Jeff a call on his cell phone, ja he did answer it and he sounded like he had been sleeping, I told him that his partner took R15 K from me and it was not the R7.5k just to get him worked up and maybe they can have a fight about this and sort each other out.

simoan

Return to “Open Discussion”