Proposed 0% alcohol limit when driving

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Proposed 0% alcohol limit when driving

Post by Stuart Baak »

http://m.news24.com/wheels24/News/SA-0- ... t-20150204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well this sparks some interesting thoughts. Beware those that have a cold!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Proposed 0% alcohol limit when driving

Post by ChrisF »

GOOD !!

there are SO many options, really no need to get behind the wheel "under the influence" !!

but then, they make the same noise every couple of months, so I doubt it will happen
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Post by Stuart Baak »

True, however as per the article (which makes some sense cos I do this) is when I have a cold and a cough (I get them badly!) I sommer drink my cough syrup on the way to/from places... Even UK countries account for this. Yes I agree on the zero tolerance for drinking and driving, but let's face it, most of these okes get off with a bribe or "cool drink money"... Its great having laws, but what's the point when the cops don't enforce?
Masekind
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

Almost all medication/ mouthwash containing alcohol will not register on a breathalyser after 30 min
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

There is already a law governing drink driving.... but they dont enforce it... Changing from the current levels to 0% wont make them enforce the law more/better, will it? What it will do is make each and every one of us a criminal when we go home from an office lunch where we had a single glass of wine? Or a quick beer after work with a good friend you havent seen for a while? And it happens from time to time... :shock: :shock:

I am also 100% behind zero tolerance for drink driving, but for heaven's sake, enforce what we have first before going to such extremes? It is exactly the same with the vehicle mods law... :silent: :silent:

This is a sign of a government having no idea how to govern the country.. they want to legislate everything.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

If we "get back the money" I will comply with this act! :taunt:
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Post by Nick S »

Why bother if it wont be enforced???
It appears to me as if someone is making noise due to the current deaths involving drink driving.

Enforce the current laws and there will be a difference IMHO
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:There is already a law governing drink driving.... but they dont enforce it... Changing from the current levels to 0% wont make them enforce the law more/better, will it? What it will do is make each and every one of us a criminal when we go home from an office lunch where we had a single glass of wine? Or a quick beer after work with a good friend you havent seen for a while? And it happens from time to time... :shock: :shock:

I am also 100% behind zero tolerance for drink driving, but for heaven's sake, enforce what we have first before going to such extremes? It is exactly the same with the vehicle mods law... :silent: :silent:

This is a sign of a government having no idea how to govern the country.. they want to legislate everything.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I AM 100% in favour of ZERO tolerance.

That said - new laws means NOTHING, if they cant even enforce the existing ones !!

I have actually driven a friend home after a braai at our place, 90km round trip !
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

We always "kuier" at my house. Much safer and I can enjoy myself more.

When we do go out to friends for odd occasion, only one of us would "kuier" (usually me :yahoo: )
and the other one would have no more than 2 drinks.

I have arrested many drunk drivers myself, but have taken a drunk person home in his own
vehicle a lot more.

The problem is that the police is run like a business these days where targets are set at the
beginning of the month for drugs, gun possession , drunk driving and so forth.
If the target is met, they did there jobs, if it wasn't met, there are reports and inquiries as to why not.
And the shift workers have to take the blame. And every year they have to "beat" the previous years target.

It will only get worse and worse for us so take care. You can't always bargain on the fact that you can
bribe your way out of a traffic violation anymore, especially drunk driving ones
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Are we a nanny state and yes people that are DRUNK and are a danger should be arrested.However most law abiding people would have one or two beers at lunch and are more than capable than a lot of the idiots that have no alcohol in their system.This is a band aid on a hippo's but.As I see it people with a position that are incapable of making a positive contribution and make changes where they are not needed and put no input into what is needed to change.
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Scott wrote:Are we a nanny state and yes people that are DRUNK and are a danger should be arrested.However most law abiding people would have one or two beers at lunch and are more than capable than a lot of the idiots that have no alcohol in their system.This is a band aid on a hippo's but.As I see it people with a position that are incapable of making a positive contribution and make changes where they are not needed and put no input into what is needed to change.
Agree.I can not see what difference 0% tolerance will make to the death toll of drunk driving on our roads.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Scott wrote:Are we a nanny state and yes people that are DRUNK and are a danger should be arrested.However most law abiding people would have one or two beers at lunch and are more than capable than a lot of the idiots that have no alcohol in their system.This is a band aid on a hippo's but.As I see it people with a position that are incapable of making a positive contribution and make changes where they are not needed and put no input into what is needed to change.
Rodney on the one hand I DO agree that a new law wont make any difference - when the existing law is not applied ...

HOWEVER, let's be brutally honest for one second - how often do you see that 2nd beer turn into an all nighter .....

but yes, a new law still wont make a blind bit of difference.

but if 4x4Bees starts talking of the results of drink driving then it sketches a different picture again ....

SO easy to arrange for a dedicated driver. I fail to see why people drive when they think they can handle that third one ....
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Lets wait and see what the investigating committe decide after having lots of meetings and lunches at the tax payers expence.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Froll wrote:Lets wait and see what the investigating committe decide after having lots of meetings and lunches at the tax payers expence.
how many "Dry" lunches will they have to come to the SAME conclusion as the previous years ? :slap:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I am totaly against drunken driving, but 0% is taking it to far, i think it's yet another way to extort money from motorists, the same as the modification laws, it's money making schemes
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “Open Discussion”