Toyota resale values

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Toyota resale values

Post by Quintin »

Hi All

I received an SMS informing me of the special deal on a new Fortuner, R75000 off on the new price. from Culemborg Toyota :crazy: :crazy: This is not the case :thumbdown: as I replied and they eventually got back to me very excited about my interest and the sales person was really very helpful to make this deal work until I said ok let us move forward.

The deal was I have an Fortuner 2011 D4D 3lt 4x4 auto the trade is R334 000 and it is selling for R384 000. This plus the R75 000 he offered me made the deal look very attractive. I said get all approved and then we make the deal. :shock: :shock: Big was my surprize when he came back to me with the final offer. My trade in is now all of a sudden valued R50 000 under trade at only R280 000 and the R75 000 that I could get on the new Fortuner also changed to only R50 000 as the R75 000 deal was only on selected deals or something.

This is my problem with dealers that do this, they mislead the public and then they rip off the client. Why does the sales person sell you an product with a deal they can not make at the end of the day.

My second problem is. Does the Fortuner really keep its value as advertised, as an spotless car with low mileage is all of a sudden R50 000 less than trade mmmm :? :? :? and in the same breath he tells me the deal on the new one can not be R75 000 as it is a very popular vehicle. So new very popular but second-hand :blushing: worth nothing :blushing:

Wel if you think about it the Fortuner is a very nice car but does it really compete with the other makes on the market mmm I am not to sure about that. No wonder Ford is selling more and more. :punch: :punch: Yes I know you will want to knock me over but really think about it. What do you get when you buy an Fortuner, "a glorified farm bakkie" Look at what I found on the internet when I looked for the best 4x4 to buy. Please I don't totally agree but this is what came up and Toyota is not even under the top 10 makes you think. :tease: :tease:

:surrender: :surrender: Not picking a fight yest telling you what I experienced. :surrender: :surrender:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
ATo help you choose which 4x4 is right for you, we've rounded up 10 of the best. Click the links on the left or the next page link below to find out more.

Best 4x4s and SUVs 2014
1. Land Rover Discovery Sport
2. Hyundai Santa Fe
3. Dacia Duster
4. Range Rover Sport
5. Land Rover Discovery 4
6. Fiat Panda 4x4
7. Mazda CX-5
8. Range Rover
9. BMW X3
10. Skoda Yetill
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Toyota resale values

Post by Mr_B »

Ja... the whole "trade-assist" thing is a BS scam. They won't give you discount on the new vehicles price, and then give you a pathetic trade-in evaluation.

The trade-assist thing is just to get you in the front door so the sales people can try and persuade you!

Maybe I'm being cynical, but that's what I've been hearing.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

You are absolutely correct.
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

McCarthy had a special now on the Fortuners...535k on the 3.0 D4D 4x4....the DC cruiser 4.2 was R511k :shock: Not that I had R511k but guess which one I would buy
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Quintin when I trade in and buy I have one line: "DONT tell me the trade in value, DONT tell me the price of every little item. DO tell me how much I must pay in to drive out with the new vehicle (what is it going to cost me)"

I compare 3 or 4 prices and do the deal.

Typically ONE would cotton, then phone to confirm his best trade in price (ore-selling it) then make a deal thats worth signing.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

In terms of what you get for the money ...

ALL brands have lost the plot and ripping us appart .. but we keep on going back for more ....

Right now the Ford would be high on my list .... but I have serious doubts about their resale value. Friend has the 2013 Ford Everest ... cant give it away for half of what he paid .... Still a damn good vehicle, but I wont buy it new, the knock is just too much.
platjan
Town: Nylstroom
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D s/c 4x4

Post by platjan »

I am busy trading-in my 2012 s/c 4x4 3.0 D4D for a new Xtra cab 3.0 D4D 4x4 Legend 45. I am happy with the trade and discount I am receiving.

I bought the s/c for R315 000 in 2012. They are offering me R235 000. I have done 88 000km with it. That is almost 75% of the purchase price. And I am not even going to talk about the VAT I also received back when I purchased (About R38 684 if my calculations is correct, giving me R235 000 + R38 684 = R273 684 ).

On the new Xtra cab they are giving me 9% discount. They are also going to move my bullbar from the old to the new one. Don't want pay for that again ;)

I know there is a new shape coming, but at the earliest in March 2016. And like any new vehicle it will have teething problems - look at the injector problems the D4D had - or the roll-over problem of the Fortuner. The 3.0D4D is a great engine IMHO, and I am planning to drive this one for many years.
Last edited by platjan on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Resale value is of a big concern and the FT or Toyota for that matter always had a great value. This does not seem to be the case any more. So why pay so much for a bakkie with nothing in it when you don't get nothing for it when you sell it again. I tend to agree on the Ford products it is getting better value for your money and the past reputation is still sticking so trade ins of the older models will still prove to be a challenge but I am sure the new models will resell better in future better that the old technology Toyotas they are selling at new technology prices. :subscribed: :subscribed:
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

IMHO resale values only mean something when you're selling a vehicle out of hand and not through a dealer. I paid R165K for my 2.7i Raider and sold it 6 years later for R135K. I could have got closer to R150K if I was patient but I wanted to do a quick deal.
For the same vehicle I would have been lucky to get R110K through a trade in.
Rather sell out of hand, it's worth the extra bit of PT :thumbup:
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4

Return to “Open Discussion”