Cooper tyres

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Cooper tyres

Post by pietdevs »

I have Cooper tyres on my Troopie. 265/70x16 MT3. The one tyre is losing a "cushion" due to a manufacturing crack according to the dealer. Tyre is cracked between the knobs on the tread and is now separating. Normal tyre press I use is 2,5 Bar when empty and 3 bar loaded. Most driving done on tar road. Dealer in Mosselbay says they have a lot of claims on these tyres. What can you guys recommend I fit? I'm a bit shy of the Coopers for the future. Problem is that I have only done 8000 kms on this set....
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Re: Cooper tyres

Post by Hilux 1 »

Pirelli muds :mocking: :mocking:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I think you're running them with too much pressure (remember also that the pressure increases when the tyres warm up on longer distances). Try running at 2 / 2.2 bar and drop to 1.2 bar off-road (you can go lower, depending on your circumstances at the time).

I had Coopers some years back and found them to be good tyres without issues, although the sidewalls were a bit thin for rocky terrain IMO. I recall that at the time there was something about a 'bad' batch or two and some of the guys were having issues with the tyres throwing blocks, mostly on the edges. It may be that the quality is no longer the same.

Is your spare the same tyre? New?

Seeing as the mileage on your set is not high at all, perhaps you could get just one replacement tyre - if the spare is new and same tyre, put the two new tyres on (preferably front) and put the remaining good used one as spare - if the spare is not badly used and the same tyre type, replace the damaged one with the spare and put the new one as a spare.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

That's ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of Maxxi's

My bighorns are now 6 years old (don't tell anyone :blushing: ) and they are still good in the sense of cracks etc.
To God be the glory
jacojrdn
Vehicle: Toyota land cruiser

Post by jacojrdn »

Piet

I always used BF goodrich A/T , but the last time I needed to fit new tires I got two sets of Cooper STT's for a good price.

On my 4L cruiser I have 265/75/16 STT ( x6)and on the 4.5 D/cab 285/75/16 STT (x6). The 265 have 15 000km
on and the 285 about 23000 km.

None of them shows any cracks, I bought them from Oliver. They do not carry much stock, so none of their Coopers stays on the shelf long. If they order tires from some other branch you might get something that has been sitting on the shelf for a while. Have a look on the tire and see if you can see the date of manufacture. If the tire is a few years old, that might be the problem.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Mt Cooper ST's are showing cracks & seperation etc with about 5mm of tread still left...but I have to add that I got them with the bakkie 5 yrs ago....

My off road trailer has Velocity Raptors on and I'm thinking of fitting a set of those to the SFA as well, seeing that I don't drive it that often, I can't justify the costs for Hancook's Cooper AT3 or any of the big brands for the mileage I do.

Velocity's are R1500 each for the 31 x 10.5 x 15, as opposed to R2800 for Hancook & R2400 for Yokohama in the same size..
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

What about Good Year Wranglers?
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

Im thinking of going for Maxxis. The Bighorn 762. I have just seen and heard good things about them and the price is more in-line with the other well known makes.
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

i have cooper STT on my landy. It's not a bad tyre and I would have preferred to get BFG KM2's but they didn't have. My mate has coopers on his prado and he has cracks all around the bead. They are 2.5 years old but only have 10% tread left. Still don't think they last as long as the BFG's but they do handle well.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by pietdevs »

I fitted 5 x new Pirelli Scorpios on Saturday - according to the dealer in George they have the least come backs on them. The saga with Cooper tyres and their useless warranty continues...
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by pietdevs »

I have just received a formal reply from Mr Amber Irwin at Cooper Tyres. They will not replace the tyre that has the blocks cracking and separating from the casing because his conclusion is that it is a sharp object that caused the separation. Take note that the supposed to be sharp object actually penetrated at an impossible angle between the block and tyre casing. The only possible way that you can achieve this is by using a knife to remove the block at 90 deg from the casing. Sadly the consumer is screwed again but I need to publish this so that potential future Cooper owners know what they are letting themselves into.... Well I fitted the Pirelli Scorpions - no more Coopers thanks!
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by pietdevs »

I forgot to mention - Amber Irwin never laid eyes on the defective tyre - his professional opinion was based on photographs after the dealer agreed that it was a manufacturing defect...
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

What awesome service from them. Obviously not interested in the customer. Will definitely be my last set of coopers and I certainly won't recommend them either.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

Mud Dog wrote:I think you're running them with too much pressure (remember also that the pressure increases when the tyres warm up on longer distances). Try running at 2 / 2.2 bar and drop to 1.2 bar off-road (you can go lower, depending on your circumstances at the time).

I had Coopers some years back and found them to be good tyres without issues, although the sidewalls were a bit thin for rocky terrain IMO. I recall that at the time there was something about a 'bad' batch or two and some of the guys were having issues with the tyres throwing blocks, mostly on the edges. It may be that the quality is no longer the same.

Is your spare the same tyre? New?

Seeing as the mileage on your set is not high at all, perhaps you could get just one replacement tyre - if the spare is new and same tyre, put the two new tyres on (preferably front) and put the remaining good used one as spare - if the spare is not badly used and the same tyre type, replace the damaged one with the spare and put the new one as a spare.

+1
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That's just disappointing to hear, Pieter! Tyres aren't cheap, the least they can do is to get a couple of professional assessments and then lean in favour of the customer. With that low mileage the tyre/s should have been replaced and keep the customer happy. How short-sighted of them to not realise that bad news travels a lot quicker and further than good news - the damage to their reputation through just this one incident is going to cost them multi-fold the cost of replacement. :crazy:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Twee van my vriende op die weskus het ook Cooper ST Maxx tyres met probleme en Cooper wil nie help nie.
Die een het n kraak (nie n sny nie) op die side wall en n ander het een van die knoppe op die loovlak af geskeur (van agter af, asof mens in reverse gery het en n klip het hom los gesny).

Ek het klaar besluit om ST Maxx tyres vir my Patrol te koop toe ek die nuus hoor, nou wag ek maar vir my Wrangler MTR with Kevlar tyres om te kom.......

Sorry Cooper, ek het het belang gestel, maar nie meer nie...... :thumbdown:
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

ek het ook sterk oorweeg om die ST MAX op my D4D te sit nou weet ek nie meer so lekker nie.
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4 DC A/T

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Firestone Destinations - the most underrated, but good value for money tyre on the market. Fitted to my lux after having problems with Cooper ST's

Cooper --- never again.
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

CasKru wrote:That's ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of Maxxi's

My bighorns are now 6 years old (don't tell anyone :blushing: ) and they are still good in the sense of cracks etc.
Snap Cas we just use them on the farm with great success
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Johannes van die See wrote:Twee van my vriende op die weskus het ook Cooper ST Maxx tyres met probleme en Cooper wil nie help nie.
Die een het n kraak (nie n sny nie) op die side wall en n ander het een van die knoppe op die loovlak af geskeur (van agter af, asof mens in reverse gery het en n klip het hom los gesny).

Ek het klaar besluit om ST Maxx tyres vir my Patrol te koop toe ek die nuus hoor, nou wag ek maar vir my Wrangler MTR with Kevlar tyres om te kom.......

Sorry Cooper, ek het het belang gestel, maar nie meer nie...... :thumbdown:
Ek moet seker my woorde terug trek, want toe gaan staan ek koop ek mos vir my n stell Coopers

Image Link Broken
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Myne is al meer as 'n jaar op my trokkie en ek was nog nie 'n dag speit nie.
Cobus het dit op sy Prado 120 en hy is ook baie gelukkig.
Lyk mooi op die Patrol
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

pietpetoors wrote:Myne is al meer as 'n jaar op my trokkie en ek was nog nie 'n dag speit nie.
Cobus het dit op sy Prado 120 en hy is ook baie gelukkig.
Lyk mooi op die Patrol
Hi Pieter
Dankie vir die kompliment.
Cobus is een van die manne waarna ek verwys wat sukkel met Cooper, een van sy ST Maxx bande se loopvlak het af geskeur en hy sukkel al drie maande om terugvoering uit Cooper te kry.
Die STT Pro is n nuwe wiel, en ek het hulle vir n baie geoeie prys gekry, so ekt gedink om dit maar in elk geval te probeer, hoop maar die waarborg beteken iets sou ek probleme op tel. :thumbup:
Image Link Broken

Return to “Open Discussion”