New smart car battery

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

New smart car battery

Post by CasKru »

Very interesting and could be a winner:
phpBB [video]

View Original

Read more here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ohm- ... ped#/story
To God be the glory
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Re: New smart car battery

Post by Dirka »

Fantastic! Brilliant concept and design. Now let's just hope it makes it to the broad consumer market.
I'll be willing to pay extra $$$ for this if it really works and has good spec. Thanx for posting!
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Very interesting indeed.
chopper

Post by chopper »

A quantum leap perhaps?!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The concept of replacing conventional car batteries with an array of super capacitors has been on the cards for a good many years already. The problems that were experienced is that the capacitors charge 'leaks' out and if left standing, run down a lot faster than lead-acid units. IIRC the best they were getting was holding enough charge to start the car for only two weeks. They also discharge very quickly, so if your car doesn't start with the first or second crank, you might be left without enough charge for a third or fourth crank.

This is the biggest draw-back, the rest are advantages - lighter, smaller thus requiring less space, immediate recharging, less hazardous and far more environmentally friendly. Since there's no corrosive acid, just electronics, it becomes possible to build in things like controllers for component protection.

I really hope these guys have found a way to overcome the shortcomings of capacitors. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Andy, not sure if you watched the videos but they do actually have a battery pack in the "battery" which will charge the capacitors while your vehicle is standing. These batteries will not crank the car but will be able to recharge the capacitors as needed. The worst case is you will maybe need to wait a minute or two while they charge before cranking again
To God be the glory
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

I wonder how they will handle all the aftermarket goodies we fit to our vehicles....

Excellent concept cant wait to see them on the market.....
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]

Return to “Open Discussion”