Reliability

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Reliability

Post by Thunder02 »

I am starting to wonder about the Hilux reliability, see plenty threads about problems. Mine has been in and out the mechanics shop for the last month and a half. First started with clutch replacement, at the same time I had the fuel pump replaced to see if we could get the horses back in the stable which have been missing for a while now.
That had no effect, next we checked the mapping, still no luck. :silent:
Eventually we pulled the head, cylinder number two had blown through. The valves were not seating anymore. Shims was also out of spec.
Finally got that all sorted and plenty power back. Then Sunday on the way back from the GTG, engine light came on and all power gone. :blink:
So back to mechanic, knock (no sure of spelling) sensor has decided it has had enough, still on the list to do is rear diff, exhaust now also has a hole in it.

At this rate I feel like buying a Land Rover, at least you then expect it to happen. Is it generally we have lots of problems with our Toyota's and we just never talk about it :frustrated:

Just felt like venting....

Still love my IFS :cooldude:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Reliability

Post by JohanM »

Neil,

bear in mind that with all vehicles age sets in and when something like the cylinderhead gets worked on, it will lead to highlighting the next weakest link in the chain...

The sensor possibly failed from the man handling of the cyl head when the head was done. Have witnessed enough workshops working on vehicles. Im not saying they broke it, but all items are linked in a chain reaction. I would rathter say that by driving with a blown cylinder and it still keeps going to botswana and back, that is reliability. 90% of hilux'es sold second hand has had some form of serious abusement that they made through. Even if it was only to show off at a event or something like that most has been worked hard and it shows with age....

It gets under a person's skin these issues and we dont always talk about it or tell others. Yes my SFA did the same to me, small issues constantly, so I took a big decision and had it redone once properly. It was close to perfect and then the accident happend. So I had it for 5000km's as good as it could be the motor before writing it off.

Now I have the Prado and 300000 km's of normal use shows up. Radiator top tank is full of hairline cracks, so new radiator has to go in. This means the auto box and torque convertor needs to be flushed wit ATF also. Quick pop of 10K job and the alternator voltage regulator decided also to quit. Another 1.5K pop and the battery (nasty cheap one) is stuffed and I need to fix all these before taking it on a long drive which is also another 1.5k pop for the battery.

So has it let me down. No its ageing and wear and tear. It is bloody annoying in the cashflow and very unscheduled. It seems like I have been driving throughout the winter with a battery that is not fully charged by the alternator. Yet is starts first time and do everything like normal. I would say it has proven reliable. I am still happy with the vehicle and will enjoy it December on the road.

Now it is getting all the parts and then getting stuck in and doing the job.

All things need maintenance and we actually neglect the Toyota's due to the fact that they have always proven reliable even when badly battered.
Johan Marais
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Well said Johan
Image Link Broken
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Johan, I agree, we just need to vent now and then, specially after spending 16K and the list is only half way done.

Not much can kill the 2.7, I recon that the head has been like that for the last two years. Always start with the cheapest solution and work your way through until the problem is solved.

She is yet to leave me standing on the side of the road. ;-)

www.4x4direct.co.za
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Sadly Johan is very near the mark .....

Add to this that we dont have "apprenticeships" any more .... we now have "technicians" with "module training" ....

One senior to 10 odd youngsters and all racing against the clock. Mostly parts fitters, with precious little appraciation for the knock on effect of replacing some parts.

Sadly our Toyotas are NOT indestructible. And like any mechanical device requires regular maintenance to get the best out of it. I firmly believe the start of our problems lies with the modern "service plan", and the absolutely pathetic service levels during this period - general comment on ALL brands.

and let's not forget the modern way of doing business - lowest bidder ..... gone are the days of "top quality" parts, now it is a trade off between some semblance of quality vs lowest price supplier.

I was at a bearing distributor during the week. R40 for a rod end bearing of no name brand, R500 for the SKF version !! I had to ask twice, still think I got that second price wrong. BUT, they DO ask what you intend using it for, as they DONT recommend using the cheaper unit in critical and high load applications.
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Past December, at Elephant sands I had to replace a center bearing, only one that was available was R300.00, I thought it would only last until we got back to JHB, but yet it is still going strong. Sometimes lady luck smiles upon a person, if I think of the rough kilos I have put on the hilux and amount of money spent, there is no reason to complain. Every trip we go on she is overloaded and pushed hard, not many other brands will give that kind of service.

This free therapy is great, already feel like loading up and heading off, knock sensor working or not :mocking:

www.4x4direct.co.za
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

3RZ is not supposed to give problems until at least 500k km, so you just have bad luck.

That is the thing of driving an old vehicle, you can either spend R10k per month on a new vehicle, or spend R10k per year on fixing stuff.

Nothing can last for ever, not even a Toyota.

As for the new Toyotas, that is where I doubt reliability. There are so many D4Ds with injector and clutch problems. Myself had my Aygo's engine replaced on 70k Km. Not what you would expect from a Toyota.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

The most money I spend on my Toyotas is on doing preventative maintenance. Its rare that I spend on repairs

That being said, I agree, the older Toyotas are stronger and more reliable than the new ones.

Regarding dealerships, I avoid them at all costs. Just the one vehicle that is under warranty has to go to them.

This thread hits the nail on the head in so many aspects. I agree 100% with everything that has been said.
Real drivers use three pedals
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Stem met alles saam.

Gelukkig is my SFA nog van die modelle waarop ek nog alles self kon aan werk of reg maak.Seker een van die maklikste bakkies ooit om aan te werk.

My filosofie is .Hou gereeld inspeksie op jou voertuig.Maak reg wat nie reg is nie en jou voertuig sal jou nie sommer in die pad gaan laat staan nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

Return to “Open Discussion”