Christmas came early

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Christmas came early

Post by Froll »

From me to me.
Attachments
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Christmas came early

Post by The Legend »

Very nice welder Rodger.Enjoy it.What is your new project?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

In the new year I am going to strip my truck and do a complete overhaul. This includes removing all rust and replacing sheet metal, replace motor and complete colour change. Lots of work, but it should have been done already. This past year it should have been done, but with some minor health issues and other issues I did not get to doing anything that should have been done.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Very nice... how did you know that's exactly what you wanted? :twisted:
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

MAN, that ol chap really knows what we want ! :thumbup: :celebrate:

Roger ENJOY !!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Now that is a nice gift.
Enjoy.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Very nice Roger! :thumbup:

Can I ask why you went MIG and not TIG? The reason I ask is because to my mind TIG is more versatile, you can feed in your filler as much or as little as you want to - even fuse without filler ....... am I wrong? ..... :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Yes Andy, I agree with you .The problem I have with TIG is you need both hands and MIG only one, plus some times in small places you cant get in with the filler rod. In the eighties I worked on the co2 welding machines doing maintenance and got to weld quite lekker with them. I have not done much TIG welding as we only touched on the subject while we were appies. They thought that we did not need to know too much. There was a lot of hassels between the various trades and we were not aloud to do some other trades job as there were bonuses involved. Long story. So ja that is my reason and I hope my reasons are right for me in the long run. The boys are happy as they will get all these tools one day.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I'd love a CO2 or TIG welder, but I've never been able to justify it, especially not with having to rent bottles these days. I'll just carry on with MAW inverter and for most of the stuff I do it's good enough. A CO2 or TIG would have been great to do some rust panel replacement here and there.

I'll just keep dreaming. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Andy you and me both ....

The inverter welder is such a step up from my old transformer welder ....

With the Pedal car I am using thin wall tubing in most places ... so it is stich welding or burning holes .....

MIG or TIG would have been SO nice. But just cant justify it.

ROGER ENJOY !!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

"... so it is stich welding or burning holes ...."
Hehehe. I do a lot of thin wall stuff - not so easy. I tried the thinner rods with lower amps, but personally found that it's easier with the standard 2.5mm rods because there is less heat generation - problem there though is that you have to keep the amps up to 'flow' the weld so you cannot weld continuously and have to lift off for about two seconds for every 5 - 8mm. Try it on some offcuts. :winkx:

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Andy, when I weld thin tubing with the inverter welder I take a rod and remove the flux , then I use it like a filler rod and so reduce the holes. I feed this rod into the rod that I am welding with.I have a inverter welder at work and a oil bath at home. It takes a bit of practice but it workes well for me. I am going with the gasless wire for the mig as my machine is gas or gasless, so will see how it works. The gas does not cost so much, but to hire a bottle is about R110 a month and about R650 to refill. The machine is Mig and stick welding, so a big improvement on my old oil bath welder. I have a lot of rust in my truck that has to be removed by replacing some of the steel plate. That was my reason for buying the machine. :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Clever idea with the extra rod as a filler, Roger. I haven't thought of this for welding thin material but I have done it when the gaps are a bit big for easy bridging - I however just used normal steel gas welding rods from my Ox-acetylene kit. That it takes a bit of getting used to is a bit of an understatement, but I think it helps if you have done gas welding. (A decent welding helmet also makes a lot of difference in that it will allow you to see the weld pool better). :winkx:

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Made a trolly this week, only need to get some castor wheels.
Attachments
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Baie netjies, sny en vou jy jou eie plate of hoe.
Groete
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Dankie Hennie, ja dit is net ,5mm galvanised plaat. Ek sny die plaat met n hand sker, dit sny maklik , en dan buig ek dit op my staal tafel by die werk. Ek klamp dit op die tafel met n stuk angle iron en dan tik ek dit met n hammer teen die angle iron. As die plaat dikker is dan trek dit n biekie. Ek will nog vie my n bending brake bou, baie maklik om te bou moet net soek vir die regte staal. :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A bending break for light work is easy to build. Built my own 2½ metre unit a good number of years back and it's still going strong. At that length you will still have to reinforce the clamping bar as well as the bed and breaking edges since even 5 x 75mm angle flexes too much. Reinforcing it is a better option than going too heavy on material and is probably more rigid as well (my unit is light enough for one person to pick up and move it if required). I built mine to make up my own metal roof cappings, valleys and flashings. Works like a charm. :winkx:

Dowe Koos
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Andy, wat van 'n foto van jou "bending brake". Sal graag wil sien hoe dit werk. Wil graag ook een bou vir my, maar ek wil binne 'n gat ook kan vou.
Dankie, maar Roger ek sê weer dit is ble.... netjies.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sal plan maak om fotos te neem, Hennie. Gee net so bietjie kans. :winkx:

gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: louis trichardt
Vehicle: sfa hilux s/c, Fortuner d4d 4x4(ma sin)

Post by gompie »

Ek wil ook die matjien sien , sal lekker werk vir Harvey teels.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

gompie wrote:Ek wil ook die matjien sien , sal lekker werk vir Harvey teels.
Nee Dirk, daarvoor sou ek liewer die regte Harvey flashing en capping gebruik. Jy sal lank sukkel voordat jy dieselfde kleur en textuur met jou 'coating' bereik. Boonop is dit 'n 'epoxy' wat hulle op Harvey teels gebruik. :winkx:

gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: louis trichardt
Vehicle: sfa hilux s/c, Fortuner d4d 4x4(ma sin)

Post by gompie »

Nee daai gedeelte doen ek so, dis die laaste ry wat ek ombuig om onder die ridge capping in te pas.

Return to “Open Discussion”