I traveled backwards for Christmas.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

I traveled backwards for Christmas.

Post by Harold »

What a trip.
Church at 9, but cannot find the Hilux keys. Finally grab the spare keys and speed off to town. Service over and then the problem starts; on the spare key set there is no key for the gear lock. Only option is to get someone to drive me home to get the keys – but how long would it take to find them?
“OK”, I say, “we will reverse home.” Wife thinks I finally flipped out; “You crazy its 16 kilometres!”
But my decision is made – we go. Thankfully I have become very proficient in reversing by using my rear view mirror, especially the side mirrors.

Drove on the left with lights on and hazard flickers flashing. Took me awhile to orientate to the fact that traffic in the oncoming lane (right land) was not a problem, it was the traffic in my lane that would pass me that I had to watch for. For them I would move right onto the edge of the road so that they could safely overtake me.
Cross roads, one with a robot, were safely negotiated even when it meant that I had to turn right.

The 5 kilometres out of town on the R33 were not too bad. Had to keep my eyes firmly fixed on the side mirror. Then we turned off onto the district road D76 for the run home, the last 5 km being a gravel road.

Main problem with the trip was that it was drizzling with the wind blowing onto my side, so I had to keep the window open and continually wipe the rain drops off the side mirror.
The windscreen became very wet that when I looked to see if there was any traffic about to pass us I activated the wipers only to realize the windscreen was wet on the inside not on the outside.
Needless to say I got a tad wet as well.

The speepdometer did not register my speed so I travelled in reverse so that I did not exceed a max RPM of 3000.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: I traveled backwards for Christmas.

Post by Family_Dog »

Harold, you could make a movie - "Back to the Past". Quite hair-raising, I would have thought the engine temp would have gone sky-high?

We once had a Scout committee meeting at my house some years ago and a couple brought their (then) two-year-old son with them. At sometime during the meeting I saw him playing with my keys but figured he would put them back when he tired of them. Not this kid!

After the meeting had finished and everyone had gone home, I searched and searched for those keys, could not find them. I was forced to phone the people at 1:00 and ask them to see if the kid had not taken them home with him. They woke the kid up and asked him what he had done with the keys. His reply: "I put them in the oven". And indeed he had done so, but fortunately did not switch the oven on.

Merry Christmas!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that there were no mishaps, Harold. That would already be a challenge under fair weather conditions without the rain impairing visibility.

Did your find your keys?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Found the keys in the pocket of the pants I wore the day before - in the washing machine.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Keys in the washing machine is just about as bad as keys in the oven... :mocking:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Harold GLAD you did find the keys....

not many that could have pulled off such a reverse ...
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :thumbup:
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Well done Harold.You really did something different to remember Xmas day 2015 for the rest of your life.

Return to “Open Discussion”