MTN en Vodacom ly verliese

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

MTN en Vodacom ly verliese

Post by Dowe Koos »

Naandsê almal.
Het julle gehoor dat MTN en Vodacom 'n dokument voorgelê het aan die parlementêre telekommunikasie komittee om ekstra inkomste te verhaal van Whattsapp, Skype en Twitter gebruikers. Hulle reken dat hulle verliese ly met die dat die mense nie meer sms'se gebruik en bel nie. Wat sê julle daarvan.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: MTN en Vodacom ly verliese

Post by Mud Dog »

Ek dink die klomp maak reeds te baie geld uit die verbruikers! :D: As hul kostes meer redelik was sou dit meer gebruik word. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

They've been milking it from the start and now that they are loosing revenue they are crying.

What I don't understand is they complain but we are still using them. We're still using data to use these apps but now their profit margin has sunk drastically as there are much more competition.
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

slight difference between "loosing money" and "reduced profits" .....

NO sympathy !!

shame, mtn is "only" making 19 BILLION profit in Nigeria, in ONE YEAR.

looking at various other countries we are seriously being ripped off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Dalk moet hulle ophou om al die sport te "sponsor"
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

What MTN and Vodacom are moaning about is the fact that smart mobile phones don't have to use their networks anymore. You can send msgs and make calls with Whatsapp/Skype/WeChat etc. using a smart phone across any wifi accessed network. In that case they make zero money because you're not using their data, voice or messaging services!

To be honest, they have a point, but imho they been reaping in mega profits for many years now... and times and technology are evolving... they better evolve too and fast if they want to remain competitive!
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

I agree 100% with you Bretton
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

with the official launch of streaming video on demand the need for large volumes of data is set to increase rapidly.... as soon as the data costs becomes affordable.

There is now incentive for new players .... and these new data sources then open up more ways to communicate other than via the cell companies ...

interesting times ahead .....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

SWAMBO (actually me) has to pay R1000+ every month for maybe 20min talk time & 1GB data since VC took the contract over from Nashua...so no sympathy for either one of them. They will have even less profit when they bill correctly.

Hard to believe but by all accounts Telkom is the better value for money so I would not be surprised of they become a big data provider again. Just cancelled my CellC data contract for the same issue as VC...seriously considering a Telkom LTE data sim or even a fixed DSL
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stefan few years back Telkom made 90% of their profit from their top TEN clients ... the likes of the banks that had to transfer massive amounts of data.

Since then the game has changed a LOT - in terms of the options available to the end user.

Neotel and a few others have tried to enter the market .... due to the low data usage of the average person it was just too difficult to gain market growth, with the big guys staying put ....

but the things are going now the evarage home user is looking at some serious data volumes per month. And though Telkom is still one of the cheaper options, there is a LOT of room (profit) for others to enter this market .... that said, technologically the stumbling block remains that "fixed line" is still the fastest, and this is where Telkom has us by the .....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Many moons ago when I had to work there those op 10 included Vodacom & MTN, That was before CellC & Neotel LOL

I hear you , room for new players, but in terms of what Telkom has currently wrt to mobile and mobile data offerings I think they are giving VC & MTN a serious run. Especially among township folk where the infrastructure is just not there.

Admittedly I never even considered Telkom, but in speaking to a few people I'm actually considering it...
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Daar. Het op die oomblik 'n selfoon kontrak by Telkom vir 100 min praattyd en 1 gig data, maar geen sms'e vir R260.00 'n maand. Gebruik Whatsapp vir bel en boodskappe. Baie tevrede met hulle.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

using a smart phone across any wifi accessed network
You still have to pay somebody for the data you use.

So it is never free for any user, is only now others share in the profit and not only Vodacom and MTN no more.

They still make too much money, still raping the SA public. Have no sympathy.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

ag shame... boohoo :cry:

mayb if they don't pay their top brass such rediculous salaries well then their profit margins will look better.
I always wondered how the heck can u justify such big salaries... any how...

on data and speed , it all relative. you may have like 100Mbps fibre, but the bottle neck is that underwater seasom cable to Europe... believe me, i feel that latency / lag when i play battlefield. For normal browsing or streaming or downloads you won't feel it... but boy any real time app like first person shooter game... eish, 0.5 sec delay gets you shot in the face.. behind a wall !!

its just physically impossible to get better response :

http://navtv.co.za/why-is-your-latency- ... -the-tech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Under correction but Vodacom had to pay tax on 40 billion profit last financial year.and now they want to cry.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

40 billion profit
What a hard life, shame.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Dowe Koos wrote:Hallo Daar. Het op die oomblik 'n selfoon kontrak by Telkom vir 100 min praattyd en 1 gig data, maar geen sms'e vir R260.00 'n maand. Gebruik Whatsapp vir bel en boodskappe. Baie tevrede met hulle.
Basies die selfde setup met VC; smart S met aparte router en glo my; Dec maand kap hulle SWAMBO met R1900 :shock2:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

For data I'm currently using Telkom LTE 10GB/m. To be honest 10GB isn't enough as I want to subscribe to Netflix. So I've been holding out for Telkom for launch their new uncapped LTE-Advance packages in our area, but that might still take years! I tried ADSL, but our area's got a max speed of 2mbps and the exchange is most often congested, so I cancelled that.

Now is anyone here using Neotel's LTE uncapped products?
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Bretton. I had heard somewhere that Neotell couldn't take the market as they had hope and there is a possibility that Telkom is going to buy them out.

Return to “Open Discussion”