Continental quality?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Continental quality?

Post by Stef »

This is what a R1000 tyre looks like with less than 10 000 km on it:
20160206_133557.jpg
No popping noise, just a sudden vibration with car pulling to the left. Looks to me like the sidewall just disintegrated. Brand new stretch of tar on the N12,no debris or anything.
Wonder what excuse Autowiel is going to offer up for not replacing it..
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Continental quality?

Post by CasKru »

Eina pyn... glad you could stop and change safely
To God be the glory
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Although I'm done with VW, I was rather impressed with the handling. When I felt the vibration I tapped off and started braking whilst counter steering and switching on the hazards. Had no issues keeping it straight.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

To my knowledge (have never had a blow out as yet so can not say if this works in practice as well) is the best practice is to actually get it out of gear/step on the cluch and coast to a stop. When you break you actually unsettle the vehicle
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

glad you got out safely !

personally I still prefer Contis for a car. Been my best value for money over the years, though I could not get a set a few months back ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

CasKru wrote:To my knowledge (have never had a blow out as yet so can not say if this works in practice as well) is the best practice is to actually get it out of gear/step on the cluch and coast to a stop. When you break you actually unsettle the vehicle
100%, you can't brake too hard...I had to slow down to a safer speed in order to do a lane change and get off the tar safely in between traffic. I left it in gear to help slow down and also to keep at least some sort of traction. Worked for me.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

ChrisF wrote:glad you got out safely !

personally I still prefer Contis for a car. Been my best value for money over the years, though I could not get a set a few months back ....
also had conti's on my other Polo, but those were Eco Contacts, these are Premium contacts...second sidewall issue in 15 000 km, granted the first one was due to a piece of metal slashing the sidewall...this one was the replacement
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Dink nie dis geval van kwaliteit nie. Iewerse het jy n puncture gekry en onbewuslik verder gery tot die voertuig begin wobbly raak. Het al tweekeer met my gebeur. Danksy tubeless kon jy veilig stop. In die ou dae toe tube nog algemeen was het erge ongelukke plaasgevind agv tube wat uitklim.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Stef quick question which VW was this? as I had the same with my Golf 3 and only ever got a puncture on the back left wheel, and I have heard of other VW drivers experiencing the same, always back left.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:Stef quick question which VW was this? as I had the same with my Golf 3 and only ever got a puncture on the back left wheel, and I have heard of other VW drivers experiencing the same, always back left.
Ek het 'n teorie rondom dit.... ek het met my Verso wat ek gehad het baie meer punctures gehad as enige ander voertuie. My teorie is dit het te doen met die wheelbase van die voertuie wat 'n presiese afstand is dat as wanneer die voorste wiele oor 'n spyker of skroef of so gaan maak dat hy op wip en dan presies op die regte hoek val net voor die agterwiel oor hom gaan en dan in die band in steek.
To God be the glory
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Intersante teorie wat jy daar het, Cassie
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Stem saam met Cassie.Ek het nog nooit n pap wiel voor gekry nie altyd agter.Ek glo dieselfde teorie geld op n fiets ook.My seun kry gereeld papwiele op sy fiets en ook net op die agterwiel.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nether liked Continentals but the Aygo came out with Contis so I had to use them. The car is now almost on 90,000 km and it is now almost time to change tyres. This is the most miles I ever got out of car tyres. We had one flat, I think round about 40,000 km.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Update:

SWAMBO took it back yesterday...and they pulled a nail out of it :oops:
I'm still not convinced that it should end up shredding the tyre but anyway.

Kudos to Autowiel Montana that helped us out with a used tyre as a spare (the Conti from the spare was used to replace the blown one).
The guy did mention that he had a few comebacks on Continentals and that the suppliers are not very sympathetic when it comes to replacing, but he'll send it back regardless.

Maybe I should go back to Good Year....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:Stef quick question which VW was this? as I had the same with my Golf 3 and only ever got a puncture on the back left wheel, and I have heard of other VW drivers experiencing the same, always back left.

Was on SAWMBO's 2010 Polo 1.6 Comfortline; was the left front tyre.
My 2007 Polo Classic had no such issues.

Prior to the 2007 I had a '99 Polo Playa that had endless issues with flat spots on the rear left; know some others that had similar issues. Of course VW denied there was ever an issue.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

getting a flat is a strange thing ....

If you are very lucky - nail, flat tire, and you see/hear it when you get in the car.

Worst case - as it happened to you, the tire deflates while driving, due to centrifugal forces on the carcass you hardly feel it, the tire over heats and pop she goes ....

as it happened to me - driving on a newly graded gravel road, front tire kicks up a piece of slate, lodges into the rear tire and I loose pressure, and DONT feel it, as I enter a bend (with a nice shear drop) the back steps out, for a moment I thought I was a bit enthusiastic with the throttle and just glad I caught the slide, for the next two kilometers NO feedback of a flat tire, I stop to take a photo and when I walk back to the vehicle I see the flat rear tire. Had I not stopped, anybodies guess as to how that would have ended ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Nog 2 tyres, somme in een dag....
IMG_20161127_164659_360x480.jpg

soveel loopvlak nog oor:
IMG_20161127_164717_360x480.jpg

so in 64 000 km 8 conti's waarvan ek net 2 oor het..en een v hulle was deur 'n pothole waar die rim plat gebuig was, so ja , maak maar jou eie gevolgtrekkings. Ek het nou maar Good Year opgesit, die goedkoopstes wat mens kan kry

Return to “Open Discussion”