We drove the Revo

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

We drove the Revo

Post by ThysdJ »

On this fine morning, Allan Venter (Hoppy) and I had the opportunity to go test drive the new Hilux Revo courtesy of Rupert Mansfield from Barloworld Toyota Kuils River and fellow Team Offroader....

When I arrived Rupert gave me a run down on the power output of the different models, as well as my Hilux 3-0 D4D which I am using as a reference point. Allan joined us and after a quick look around the 2.4 we took off on a test drive. The 2.4 with 6spd manual we drove was punchy and powerful and sure as hell impressed. It was no slouch and after a little while I got used to the clutch and it was plain sailing. Up the fairly steep Polkadraai hill I was driving in 6th gear at 120 when I put foot down and it actually accelerated and kept on accelerating until we hit the top of the hill traveling much faster than when we entered it.... That is indeed impressive!!
On the other side of the hill we changed drivers and Allan drove back to the showroom. I will post his impressions later.

Back at the showroom we got into a metallic black 2.8 Hilux Auto. Same route we took before. I am not a fan of autos, but this one is a definite improvement on the old D4D Auto. I would consider buying this auto... seriously. The run up the Polkadraai Hill was equally impressive and the Hilux pulls like a steam train.
Allan took the wheel on the way back to the showroom. We were 4 fully grown Afrikaans men in the Hilux, and all of us had more than enough leg room. It is big inside.
These Hilux Double Cabs are not mere bakkies anymore. They have evolved into SUV's with loadbins. Big, lots of gadgets, electronics, comfortable seats and soft ride. It is a car.. handles like a car, rides like a car, and all the mod cons of a car.

Unfortunately we were unable to take the Hiluxes out on a 4x4 trail to test their abilities there (where it matters most) because of time constraints. But Rupert promised a run out to Welgelegen one Saturday afternoon in the near future. For today we settled for dicing Golf GTi's between traffic lights..

For the first time in my life I drove a Hilux that is not white... That was a refreshing feeling.. smile emoticon
After each drive Allan inspected the vehicles from top to bottom... Here is his (more technical) impressions of the new Hiluxes we drove this morning. I agree 100% with his sentiments.. :thumbup:
20160227_094413.jpg
Allan Venter (Hilux Whisperer and Guru)
"My eerste ontmoeting met die nuwe Revo;
Hy lyk soos hy lyk, soos ons hom nou al meer as n jaar lank op kiekies sien en die lang snoet en oosterse blink goeters sal gou op ons groei. Die binnewerk is heeltemal nuut, dit lyk of daar n tablet in die middel staan gemaak is met genoeg funksies om n tiener n paar uur besig te hou, die sitplekke is n groot verbetering en die sit-posisie is effens meer regop en gemaklikker as die ou een, been ruimte agter is ook nog meer en die 60/40 agtersitplekke is n nuttige ekstra. Hy lyk total nuut binne, niks is oorgedra van die ouer Hiluxe nie behalwe die standard plasing van al die kontroles. Die afwerking is goed soos van Toyota verwag word, daar is ook n ekstra gat met n deksel vir al ma se goeters aan die linker kant.
Onder lyk hy nog soos n Vigo, dieselfde tipe onderstel, voor-en agter veerstelsel en die uitleg en plasing van al die hoof-komponente is ook dieselfde, maar die hoeke van die skokbrekers, veerblaaie en kronkelvere het wel baie aandag gekry, die rit is baie beter en lekker stewig, gelukkig nie oormatig sag soos n Isuzu nie, maar ook nie heeltemal so geplant soos n Amarok nie, daar sit die duitsers hulle nog biekie kop aan.
Ek is beindruk met altwee diesels wat ek gery het, albei se krag-kurwes is lekker lank, glad en begin heel onder die enjin klink nog soos n Hilux, maar die gekletter as hy koud is, is gelukkig weg. Dit gaan baie moeilik wees om tussen die 2.4 en 2.8 te kies, hulle voel baie dieselfde, die 2.4 is ook lekker lewendig, nie so gevrek soos die ou 2.5 nie, albei het ook voor gemonteerde tussenkoelers. Die sespoed ratkas doen dit vir hom, die ratverhoudings is na aan perfek en voel lekker positief al sit die R nou waar my Citigolf s’n was. Die ses-spoed auto is baie meer verfyn as die vorige een, in “manual mode” bly hy in die rat wat jy kies, hy volg nie sy eie kop soos meeste ander autos nie, die oorskakeling is seepglad.
Voor die jaar uit is, staan hulle in wit rye by die malls en met skaap-tralies, dieseldromme en “John Deere stickers” voor die koperasie, die boere sal hom deeglik toets en ek sal hom nog in die veld moet ry om te kan se of hy oor twee jaar n Legend 50 genoem mag word, maar sy teerpad maniere, kraglewering en rygerief het my verbaas, hy lyk soos n wenner, stewiger, stiller lekerdererer."

Thanks Rupert G. Mansfield for inviting us and for all your trouble!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
20160227_102342.jpg
20160227_101556.jpg
20160227_101537.jpg
20160227_101529.jpg
20160227_094512.jpg
20160227_094507.jpg
20160227_094454.jpg
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ThysdJ

Re: We drove the Revo

Post by ThysdJ »

Some more pictures..
20160227_103838.jpg
20160227_104027.jpg
20160227_104036.jpg
20160227_103824.jpg
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

20160227_101537.jpg
20160227_102421.jpg
20160227_104410.jpg
20160227_104728.jpg
20160227_104733.jpg
Thys de Jager

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

You said it perfectly. It's a car! Big step backwards in my books. Sure it has more power but so does my wife's 2.2ltr diesel suv! It's ugly as hell and don't get me started on the interior WTH! It's like they just glued an iPad to the dash! What a pos I'll be dying with my 07 I reckon if they r gunna go down this road. Rant over!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Thanks Thys and Hoppy. Very good review. Lets wait for the offroad test
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
glen jackson
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: 1999 hilux raider double cab 4x4 2.7l

Post by glen jackson »

BAIE DANKIE THYS EN HOPPY . ALWAYS GREAT TO HEAR IT FROM EXPERIENCED HILUX MANNE RATHER THAN A SALE PITCH . I ALSO WOULD SUKKEL TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE 2.4 AND 2.8 AUTO .YES THEY HAVE EVOLVED INTO GREAT SUV'S YET HAVE GOT TOUGHER/MORE CAPABLE OFF ROAD WHICH YOUR UPCOMING REVIEW WILL CONFIRM .IAM STILL A WHITE COLOUR FAN FOR A HUNDRED REASONS .TAKE CARE, JACKO
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Die ou wat agter sit moet of baie lank wees of julle het 'n foto gevat waar hy in 'n Aygo sit. Sy kop raak amper die dak!
Sent from my iPhone
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

:D: :mocking: 00
Attachments
IMG-20160228-WA0005.jpg
(31.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

That's gold!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:Die ou wat agter sit moet of baie lank wees of julle het 'n foto gevat waar hy in 'n Aygo sit. Sy kop raak amper die dak!
Rupert is nie 'n kort outjie nie.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Open Discussion”