Hankook Tyres

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
peter elliott12
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: hilux SFA 4x4

Hankook Tyres

Post by peter elliott12 »

Need Advice. I purchased Two Hankook tyres from Tiger wheel and tyre on 15th September 2010.
Tyre size 31x10.50 R15 109R 6PR Dynapro ATM RF 10 They were fine on my Hilux doing offroad trips into the bush, occasional 4x4 trails and running around town. I always checked tyre pressures and deflated on gravel where necessary. However, after a trip to the Richtersveld in April 2016 travelling more than 3500kms on gravel and tar the sidewalls of these tyres started to split and crack to the extent that one tyre has completely lost all pressure, air coming out of all the cracks and splits. The cracks are just where the side wall meets the tread. I discussed this with Tiger Wheel and their answer is "Sorry for you but tyres are warranted for 5 years from date of purchase." I have two Yokohama Super Diggers on the front of the hilux that have been running for about 10 years without any problems like this.
Has any member had similar problems,and do I have any recourse on this.
The Hankooks have at least 3mm tread left which could travel a fair distance before replacement. :(
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Hankook Tyres

Post by Stef »

fighting a losing battle unfortunately...

Tyres tend to harden over time and become more brittle. I'd say those Hankook's did well for their age and a punishing trip with heavy load.

Replaced my Cooper's with 5mm thread still left.
peter elliott12
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

So, because tyre life span is limited and quality is dodgy(in my opinion) I now have to visit my bank manager and grovel for an overdraft to finance new tyres. It is difficult to accept this when my Yokohama tyres are 10 years old with no problems, no punctures, sidewall cuts or tread breakout.
TWT suggested Velocity 30x9.50 R15 104S Raptor A/T. The tread pattern looks decent block type, manufactured by Continental Tyres. Any member had experience with these tyres?
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Man I wish my tyres lasted that long! You'd get laughed at here if you asked for warranty after 5 years!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I would not call the quality into question per say...you only had 3mm tread left, actually 2mm usable tread as 1mm is the legal limit. If one fits expensive tyres the annual mileage should warrant the expense so as to get the full value out of them before they start cracking etc.

I fitted the 31 x 10.5 R15 Velocity's, for the same reason...low mileage done annually...very happy with them so far. Good value for money IMO
peter elliott12
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Thanks for the info. Ill go with the Velocity's and see how they perform.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

To call the quality inyo question would not be fair.

Rubber is a natura product and is known to deteriorate over time.

Think of the heat and cold cycles, rotation, potholes, rocks, friction etc. and I think any reasonable man will say 5 1/2 years and thousands of miles on a set of tyres is superb.

Think about it, lets say Hankook said yes, you have a claim, what would be reasonable and fairfor them to compensate you? 4 New tyres or 4 tyres with 3mm thread left?

And then, would you go through the hassle to fit tyres with only 3mm thread left? I know that I will surely not!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

These tyres are older than 10 years, and just got its first flat. It cracked next to a nobly while driving it at 0.4 bars on the dunes. I snot plug sorted it out for now, but I guess it will need to be replaced soon.....even though it has lots of tread left. :cry:
f9523a43-70e8-4d20-bb32-5c88868c028d.jpg
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Had the same problem only 5 years have to find new tyres on highway :lmao: :surrender:
Attachments
tyres.jpg
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

peter elliott12 wrote: TWT suggested Velocity 30x9.50 R15 104S Raptor A/T. The tread pattern looks decent block type, manufactured by Continental Tyres. Any member had experience with these tyres?
I've fitted these tyres to my Prado, daily drive, and did 6500km thru Namibia in Dec. No problems whatsoever, even running lower pressures (1,6 -1,8 bar) on Namibian dirt roads.

Only thing is to watch them when the roads are a little damp, so I just reduce my speed - as one should.

Good value for money IMHO.

Return to “Open Discussion”