EGT and petrol engines

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0L V6 4x4 Auto

EGT and petrol engines

Post by Henk_B »

I have this question that I would like to find an answer for.

EGT is used ver good in Diesel Engines, so that one can see spikes in temp etc, so that one can save the engine. That much I know.

I have read that EGT can be use in petrol engines, but since petrol engines are controlled by butterfly, you get a place where the temp would peak (that would be the optimal place for the engine to work),
Colder temps mean that 1)more petrol, which is unburned (which is cooling down the cylinder) or 2) running lean.

Do I understand it correctly, and if so, then an EGT is not that essential in a petrol engine?

Many thanks
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: EGT and petrol engines

Post by ChrisF »

uhm ja ...

standard vs modified ....

On a standard petrol engine EGT is virtually a constant, and falls inside the design parameters. Thus no gauge needed.

Modified .. uhm ja ... what type of modification ?

- Chip - bit more fuel, but really should not push up the temperature too much.

- after market bumpers, spot leghts etc - THIS is the primary cause of high WATER temperatures for petrol engines, NOT high EGT values. We have slotted and drilled massive holes into many aftermarket bumpers to get the airflow sorted again.

- engine swop - when doing an engine change you really need to pay attention to the cooling system and air flow and radiator size and .... However, these are NOT EGT related.

Thus EGT related issues are not the norm with petrol engines. The engine will run "rich" and cause other issues before the EGT becomes an issue - on a PETROL engine.

at least that is my understanding of it ...
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

It has got to do with the way diesel fuel burns versus the way petrol burns. Petrol gives a quick burn, and diesel burns very slowly. That is one reason why petrol engines rev higher than diesels.

That also means at high revs, the diesel does not get time to fully combust inside the cylinder on the power stroke and the gasses are still burning during the exhaust stroke and by the time they exit the exhaust valve into the exhaust manifold. This is what causes very high EGT. Using an EGT guage to monitor the EGT's will tell you when you are busy overcooking it a bit, so that you can reign in the horses for a while until things cool down a little.

I suppose you could put an EGT guage on a petrol engine, it can do no harm..
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

On a turbo petrol engine more petrol is added to the combustion mix to lower the EGT's - thus the opposite effect than on diesels.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Open Discussion”