Duel battery in hilux

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Brettdelany
Town: Sydney
Vehicle: Hilux

Duel battery in hilux

Post by Brettdelany »

I'm wanting to put a duel battery into my 09 turbo diesel hilux.
Is this a big job? And any suggestions on best parts
Thanks in advance
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Re: Duel battery in hilux

Post by Rigger »

There is a lot of reading material availible on this topic. But it all depends on your specific demand.

One of the favourites is the CTek D250S which controls the charge to both batteries electronically and you can connect a solar panel to it to charge the aux battery while stationary.

But as i say do some research and decide what your needs are. Then if you have electrical knowledge it is always nice to do it yourself. Well i enjoy it alot fitting duel systems
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Brett.

Maybe a bit more info on what you want to do, as this is a very wide topic ....

Placement of the battery :
- there is place in the engine bay, and standard brackets. BUT, some break lines must be bent out of the way. The heat of the engine bay is not good for a battery.
- mostly these are fitted in the back of the vehicle, near the fridge etc.

Charging methods :
- in the engine bay use a "high cycle" battery and a solenoid switch to charge it directly from the alternator
- for a deep cycle battery, either in the engine bay or in the back, use a DC-to-DC charger.
- will you be using PV panels ? Then use a "dual charger" such as the Ctek 250S, this is a dc-2-dc charger for the alternator and automatically switches to PV charging

this thread has some more information on this topic - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35752&p=427080&hil ... ng#p427080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
I fitted mine about a year ago. I fitted the solenoid type, purchased it from outdoor warehouse with the controller/indicator which is good to have as I can switch on the and use the duel battery when winching. I have 2 inline fuses, one on the line from the main battery to the solenoid and the other one just before the duel battery.
the duel battery is a deep cycle in a boat battery box in the bin up against the cab. The solenoid switch is located in the engine bay on the left hand side of the vehicle next the main battery.
I drilled a hole in the side of the bin, fitted it with a rubber grommet and ran the battery cables on the inside of the chassis next to the brake lines so that nothing can get hooked up on it in the bush. the controller cable was fed into the cab via the existing cable grommet which runs just behind the cubby hole. I bought 6 m red and 2m black heavy duty cable each, the thinker the better ,cut the cables to size and fitted the correct connections for the terminals. I also fitted the duel battery with those quick connectors so that i the duel battery can be removed. the whole lot took about 2 hours to install.I found a good earth point just under the bin on the chassie
20161114_132159_resized.jpg
Attachments
20161114_132108_resized.jpg
20161114_132024_resized.jpg
20161114_132019_resized.jpg
20161114_131959_resized.jpg
Yo-Yo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC 306

Post by Yo-Yo »

1. National Lunar - with Solenoid, but can only do certain batteries.
2. C TEK --- very Good
3. Intervolt --- Brilliant

but yes -all price concious
Hot and Sweaty -- Nice if you with a Lady---BAD if you in the Jungle.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

I fitted a second battery to the engine bay. Used the Frontrunner battery bracket. A bit of a mission to get it in because you have to move the alarm and pressure switch. But it is in.

My question is related to the fitment of a National Luna solenoid: where do I mount it? I have marked some possibilities. They say that it is preferable to mount it upright as opposed to it being flat.
Which ever way it will be a tight fit. I plan on running the wires to the back from the second battery. For now, a solar option will have to wait.

Options include:
  • right hand-side of the engine bay - have to run cables back and forth to batteries
  • space between the second battery and fuse box - need bracket. Can mount it to body but will be very tight fit for cables
  • top of fuse box - bracket slightly wider that lid. Will need another bracket.
  • top of battery - not enough space
Attachments
IMG_0071 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0070 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0069 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0068 - Copy.JPG
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

I ended up placing my NL solenoid in this location. Still busy making up the wires. Will fit that over the weekend
IMG_0078.JPG
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Return to “Open Discussion”