Bakkie Mate

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Bakkie Mate

Post by Harold »

I have recently acquired an old ‘Bakkie-mate’ that is in excellent condition; it will replace my existing roof-top set up which has served us well for the past 16 years.
However, it has no plate giving details of the Manufacturer, date of manufacture or its mass; I'm particularly interested the mass. Can anyone enlighten me about this ‘Bakkie-mate’?

It also only has three jacks, two one on side and only one on the other side; seems risky especially as one of them looks suspect. I would prefer to have four jacks. Does anyone have such an item, or can tell where I could get one?
Attachments
bakkie-mate.jpg
bakkie-mate..jpg
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Bakkie Mate

Post by Family_Dog »

Harold, good to hear from you again - it's been a while.

Possibly try some of the caravan/trailer manufacturers?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Bakkie Mate

Post by JohanM »

Hi Harold,

the bakkie mate was manufactured by CI which is now Jurgens, however if I have the weight correctly those units was pegged around 420kg empty. The jacks were also a CI design for that bakkie mate. I would personally look into getting 4x decent stabiliser legs and make them longer to work for you on this setup. The one you have there is one of the very first models of the bakkie mate as the latter one's were slightly shorter with a different side panel setup that was actually stepped to fit onto the back of a double cab also.
Johan Marais

Return to “Open Discussion”