Toyota recall on air bags

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Toyota recall on air bags

Post by Mud Dog »

Toyota South Africa recalls more than 700,000 cars over air bags
By AFP

Toyota South Africa Motors said Thursday it had issued a notice to recall more than 700,000 vehicles over air bag safety concerns, with some affected models dating back over 15 years.

The Japanese car maker said the recall was needed to replace front air bag inflators produced by parts firm Takata that had been found to have a potential for moisture intrusion, which could cause them to burst.

"In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, striking and possibly injuring the occupants in the event of an accident," said a statement.

The company said no injuries or fatalities had been caused by the fault.

A total of 730,000 vehicles were said to be affected, with some of the various models dating back to 2002, according to company spokesman Clynton Yon.

Toyota has a manufacturing plant south of the eastern port city of Durban, where it makes vehicles for the local and export markets.

The faulty air bags, made by Japanese company Takata, have caused some other manufacturers to recall their cars. DM

Ref: http://firstthing.dailymaverick.co.za/a ... mq9kLiddq0
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Re: Toyota recall on air bags

Post by Johan Kriel »

Yew you can check whether your vehicle is effected http://www.toyota.co.za/mobi/recall
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Toyota SA recall for airbags 2002-2015 models

Post by pietpetoors »

Received sms that my Auris must get new airbags.
I see there are more than 700,000 Toyotas affected.

“And customers can go to our website, enter their VIN numbers to check if their vehicle is applicable.”
http://toyota.co.za/recall

BUT TAKE NOTE: Rather call them and asked. I just entered my vehicle's VIN number and their system says my vehicle is not affected. Although they contacted me and said it must go.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/26/toyota-vehi ... ify-faults
Toyota South Africa says its recall of over 700,000 cars is the biggest in this country but it sees this as a preventative measure to make sure that any faults are rectified.

The Japanese carmaker has issued a notice saying some models could be affected by faulty airbag inflators, manufactured by Takata.

So far, no injuries or fatalities linked to the problem have been reported locally.

Toyota South Africa CEO Andrew Kirby says the vehicles affected were sold between 2002 and 2015 and include popular models such as Hilux, Corolla, Yaris and Rav4s.

Kirby says the fault with the airbag could be linked to the country’s climate.

“We know that when the vehicle ages there is a potential that the airbag may not deploy correctly so we are planning to upgrade the vehicles to the latest version.”

He says this particular recall was, in fact, started in 2015 and more models were added in the last few years.

“And customers can go to our website, enter their VIN numbers to check if their vehicle is applicable.”

Toyota says although this is a major operation, the company is well equipped to handle the large customer volumes.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Replaced mine about two weeks ago at Toyota Stellenbosch. 20 min job. But the agents are battling with stock. Some agents have waiting list. Better make that appointment sooner than later.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Yip, they ordered mine but said it will only be at the dealer by about 15 Feb
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Open Discussion”