Do you use a generator while camping or at home

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.

Using a Gen Set while camping

Do you use a gen set while camping
10%
Make too much noise
30%
Are too expensive
7%
Are too heavy to cart around in my vehicle
7%
Yes I use a petrol
10%
Yes I use a diesel
No votes
Pull start
10%
Electric start
7%
Use it at home for power cuts
13%
Use an invertor
7%

Total votes: 30

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Do you use a generator while camping or at home

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes there have been times when I have heard that some people are very noisy while camping, they drag along a gen set to use for light, play loud music and for other uses as well, these gen sets disturb other campers and chase away wild animals and the peace and quiet, similar to a Quad bike as well.

Please have a look at the poll and vote as many times as you want to and let us see what your thoughts are, please post your other comments here as well.

What gen set you use and the specs of it and what it cost you to buy, power output etc.

Great stuff
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Do you use a generator while camping or at home

Post by ToyX4 »

I use a 65kva, 6 cylinder diesel engine generator to supply 4 chicken houses and two homes.
But it's a must, cause the chicks are very sensitive to temperature changes. Need to keep them warm!

Wil never use one for camping :!:
ImageImage
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

I make use of a invertor and energy saver lamps for lights at the camping spot. Must say my camp looks like new york in the night and it is quiet. I will not use a gennie when I camp as it is costing petrol and it is noisy.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I have a small Yamaha petrol generator that runs very quietly, only puffs out about 650 watts or thereabouts and is whisper quiet. I used to use this in my caravnning days, it never really bothered anybody.

Then I have a Honda petrol gennie rated at 4KW, but this is somewhat optimistic, 3KW would be more to the point. Not too noisy, but not suitable for camping pruposes. Had to buy this some years ago when the Eskom power to one of our radio highsites was interrupted because the pole transformer burnt out.

The last gennie I have is also a petrol one and is rated at 6.5KW, which it handles very nicely, but it is noisy. This last one is purely for domestic use if we get power cuts, although we haven't had any for the last 6 months or so since I bought it :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS

FD with your 6.5 KVA how do you connect it up to your system, do you have a splitter box that you have to switch off the normal input, I know that some [people just switch off their main circut breaker to their house and then just use two 3 pin wall plugs and plug their gen set straight into the house system, they call this the farmers way of doing things, but can you gen set run your geyser or do you switch it off as well.

I have heard that you can get a system that will start the gen set once their is a power cut, but I am interested to find out, what happens about the geyser in your home, would this splitter switch the geyser off as well.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Simon,

My house is wired for three-phase power, so nothing so elaborate. Instead, I chose to fit emergency lights in all the rooms and 220v plugs in strategic places, such as my home theatre room, pc room, workshop & kitchen. I have not worried about the geysers (I have three) because generally water stays warm for 12 hours plus, so no problems there. The fridge & freezer are powered and there is a spare plug for a griller in the kitchen. In the PC room, I have a hot & cold water dispenser, holds about 10 litres of water, which is ample for the odd cup of coffee or cold drink. The generator is electric start, I could get fancy and have it auto-start through the use of a relay & solenoid for the fuel supply, but it is not really necessary.

I have not yet had the chance to give it a good test, our power is reasonably stable here. The chap who rebuilt my original 4Y engine was selling the 6.5KW generators for R4000, an excellent price!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Got this off the internet, very interesting

Transfer Switch Guide
If you experience frequent power outages or your area is susceptible severe weather, a transfer switch can help you safely power your home or business using a portable generator. Portable generators can provide comfort, safety and security during power outages and emergencies, and can be installed temporarily during these situations. A portable generator must be connected properly to protect electrical utility workers, family members and property. Improper connection of your portable generator and transfer switch system could void your homeowner's insurance in case of accident or injury.

A manual transfer switch is the key to safe and convenient operation of portable generators for standby power. By isolating those circuits using generator power, a transfer switch eliminates the risk of backfeeding the electrical utility, which can cause injury to workers and property damage.

By installing a transfer switch at your breaker box and connecting a portable generator to the transfer switch, you can run selected circuits for appliances such as a furnace, well pump sump pump, refrigerator, television, computer, printer or lighting circuit during a power outage, depending on the capacity of your generator. Since many portable generators cannot handle all of these loads at the same time, the transfer switch allows you to manually transfer each of these loads separately whenever you need them.

Determining which circuits you will require during a power outage is the first step in selecting the proper wattage generator and transfer switch. Since most home appliances operate intermittently, a 3000 watt generator can provide adequate power to circuits for the most common appliances, such as furnace, lights, refrigerator, freezer, microwave oven, and TV.

If your home has a deep well pump with up to 1 HP motor, a 5000 watt generator will be required to provide the starting capacity for the pump. Larger wattage units can be selected for simultaneous starting and operation of multiple appliances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE A TRANSFER SWITCH
A transfer switch should be used when connecting a generator to a buildings electrical system. The transfer switch isolates selected circuits in the home from the utility power. Connections for stand by power to a building system must be made by a qualified electrician and must comply with all applicable laws and electrical codes.
Use A Transfer Switch
Use a transfer switch when connecting to a building's electrical system.
Have an Electrician install the isolation switch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRANSFER SWITCH PROTECTS LINEMAN
The utility line voltage is normally "stepped down" before entering the home by a transformer. The transformer can work in reverse when voltage is sent through it in the opposite direction and "step up" the voltage. This stepped up voltage, backfeeding through the utility lines, may electrocute workers that come into contact with the utility lines.
A Properly Installed Transfer Switch Protects Lineman

A TRANSFER SWITCH PROTECTS THE HOME
Improper connections can allow electrical current from the generator to short circuit with utility line current when power is restored. This can cause a fire in the electrical system.
A Properly Installed Transfer Switch Protects The Home.

A TRANSFER SWITCH PROTECTS THE GENERATOR
Improper connections can allow electrical current from the generator to short circuit with utility line current when power is restored. This could cause the generator to explode or burn.
A Properly Installed Transfer Switch Protects The Generator

THERE ARE SEVERAL TYPES
There are several types of transfer switches that may be used with Honda generators. The information below gives specifications and and a few recommendations for matching a transfer switch to a generator. All the transfer switches we carry are manufactured by Gen/Tran® for Honda. All Gen/Tran® transfer switches are UL listed and CSA certified.
.No. of Circuits 4 6 6 10** 12***
Maximum Load Combined 15A @ 120V 40A @ 120V 60A @ 120V 60A @ 120V 100A @ 120V
Maximum Load Per Circuit (per circuit selector / breaker) 15A @ 120V* 15A @ 120V* 15A @ 120V* 15A @ 120V* 15A @ 120V*
Max Watts 1800 5000 7200 7500 12,000
Application All Honda Generators If 110V is being used. EB3500, EM3500 EX4500, EX5500, EM5000, EM6000, EB5000, EB6500, ES6500, EX4500, EX5500, EM5000, EM6000, EB5000, EB6500, ES6500 EB11000, EB12DAG
Other Models Listed Here.
* When (2) 110V circuit selectors / breakers are strapped together = (1) 220V.
** A 10 circuit transfer switch will allow you to have in 4 more 110V appliances than a 6 circuit switch would allow!
*** 12 circuit switches do not come with circuit selectors / breakers.
NOTE - A transfer switch MUST be installed by a qualified electrician and must comply with all applicable laws and electrical codes.

We Offer Several Types
4 Circuit, 120V/15A (3-prong)
6 Circuit, 120/240V/20A (4-prong)
6 Circuit, 120/240V/30A (4-prong)
10 Circuit, 120/240V/30A (4-prong)
12 Circuit, 125/250V/50A
(3-pole 4-wire plug)

Click here for more models
(link will open in new window)

TRANSFER SWITCH OPERATION
The Transfer switch isolates selected circuits from the home with "Break" then "Make" switches. Each switch has 3-positions; LINE, OFF and GEN (generator). In the LINE position, utility power feeds the selected circuits. In the GEN position, generator power feeds the selected circuits. To switch from LINE to GEN, the switch is passed through the OFF position. This allows a positive break to occur, which prevents sparking, arcing or short circuits that might be created if the positive break was not part of the system.
Individual circuit protectors protect each selected circuit from overload. This allows a larger generator to be connected to the transfer switch without the transfer switch being overloaded.

Transfer Switch Operation
Offers "Break" then "Make" switches
Only prewired circuits can be powered protecting against overload.
Each circuit is protected by a circuit protector.

Mayberry Sales & Service, Inc.
Call 1-800-696-1745 for more information

© 1997 - 2004 - Mayberry Sales

simoan
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

i use open fires and gaslamps............those gennies makes too much noise..
vibration on the ground chases fish away.... :roll:

aaaaaaaaa....i love the great outdoors....without home comforts...... 8)
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

hilex08 wrote:i use open fires and gaslamps............those gennies makes too much noise..
vibration on the ground chases fish away....

aaaaaaaaa....i love the great outdoors....without home comforts......
i use open fires and gaslamps............those gennies makes too much noise..
vibration on the ground chases fish away.... :roll:

aaaaaaaaa....i love the great outdoors....without home comforts...... 8)
Ditto except the fish

Return to “Open Discussion”