Medical forum
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Tablets and dispensing fees

Post by ChrisF »

Gary this is a very difficult topic, if ever there was one.

For the situation you explain, YES it "sounds" like a rip off (and possibly it IS).

But on the other extreme you get people that get ONE script for ONE month that totals a "tidy 9k" for one months meds - of ONE type only !! Now in the past pharmacies charged a percentage - totally killing these people.

Then the medical aid board stepped in (or was that the Department of Health), and laid down these fixed quidelines. (and the jury is still out if these "guidelines" ever became law)

Now I DONT know how this affects the "Average person", ie if you pay more or less in the long run. BUT I DO know that MANY pharmacies have not been able to survive on these new formulia.

PS - SPEAK to your pharmasist, on some items you pay LESS if you pay cash as apposed to putting it on the medical aid.
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

i still believe the levy part is just another rip off from medical aids or phamacies, which ever way, why does the medical aid allocates funds for over the counter if i'm still going to be klapped. i found one phamacy in JHB, in the FNB bank city complex & they have my business for a long haul because no levy & how they make up thier cost i dont even want to know provided i get my medication :thumbup: :yahoo:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Medicross in East London charges you a "facilty fee" when you go to a doctor in their group there. Doctors bury their comebacks..........
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

In my day a Dip. Pharm. took 5 years of study while the degree was 6 yrs ... a medical doctor was 7 yrs ... then there is still the internship. You wouldn't want some palooka dishing out your meds now would you ... some of those drugs are downright dangerous. For all the pharmacist's investment in studies, premises, stock and staff ... his return is very low by comparison to other professionals like doctors and lawyers. This is why so many have closed their doors .... not able to survive.

I don't think it's unfair. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

If they are script items then yes ..... if it's over the counter meds then no. By the same token, you go to the doc .... You're on time for your appointment but you have to wait in some instances up to ½ hr before you get ushered through because he's 'running late' ... why? .... they've probably overbooked and squeezed someone in here during the course of the day, and there you're in there for sometimes less than 10 mins .... and charges you R300 plus. Yet the poor pharmacist must be happy with R90 and he takes as much care to ensure that you get the correct stuff without keeping you waiting. My pharmacist will always tell me if it's an off the shelf item (in which case there is no dispensing fee) and advise whether it's prudent or not to use a generic in each particular case, thereby having my interests at heart and saving me money. It's also not a case of charging 'just to hand over the meds' as you put it .... he knows if the docs prescribed dosage falls into acceptable parameters and will query with the doc if he feels / knows it's incorrect. He carries that stock on his shelves so that it's there for you ... there's a tidy sum that's tied up there which could be earning interest / dividends if otherwise invested, never mind his other overheads. He counts out the required amount and puts in in a separate container with a label that he prints with the dosage instructions. He records the script and dispensation on his database for future reference ... some drug schedules require a separate register to be maintained. And then there's as I said, the guy's professional knowledge (that you get the benefit of) that's part of the deal.

No Gary, I still don't think it's unfair ... we need these guys and truth be told, their margins are small ... cut to ribbons. It's not a money spinner operation .... many of them could probably make more money by opening a grocery or novelty store without the need of 5 - 6 yrs study and related costs.

Sorry to differ with you, swaer, but that's my feeling on it. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ja, OK ..... let's rather leave it there. ;-)
(Don't want to get you started! :laugh2: )

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just to throw another hen amongst the chickens, ..... you won't find chemists like this at Walmart.

From Daily Dispatch 22/06/2011

AN EAST London pharmacist has looked to the sea for a cancer cure and hopes his research will save the lives of the 3000 South African women who die from cancer each year.

Knott has been invited to present his research and findings to the 7th European Conference on Marine Natural Products in Sweden in August this year.

"I’m excited about the conference and about meeting people within the field and networking with them, and hopefully this will generate a lot of interest in what we are doing in South Africa," he said.

"South Africa is a great place to achieve a lot within research, and even though there are better facilities or equipment overseas, we can achieve a lot with our great natural resources and universities."

According to the National Cancer Registry, one in 29 women in South Africa are diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 3000 women die from breast cancer in South Africa each year .

The Southernwood Pharmacy owner plans to change these statistics with his ground-breaking research towards a doctoral thesis. Knott is studying for his doctorate in marine natural product chemistry at Rhodes University in Grahamstown, where he has discovered new types of compounds within South African seaweed with good anti-cancer activity on breast cancer cells.

"South Africa is a great place for marine natural product chemistry because of its special geographic location . We have a unique environment here that’s present nowhere else and so the chances for finding new compounds are good," he said.

Knott’s research involves collecting seaweed specimens from the shores of the South African coastline from East London to Cape Town.

The seaweed is taken to the university’s labs where they are frozen to avoid the decomposition of the natural products.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andy why so gentle on Predator ... :)

In April I phone the paharmacy: "Mr X here, please prepare my wifes chronic meds for collection".

Next day I get a call: "We ran out of product Y and Z. we have ordered and will call you when this arrives."

Now I dont mind too much, as THIS is why I phone ahead. Every month something is out of stock. So I patiently wait for their call, normally the stock arives within 48 hours. the next week my wife reminds me that her meds are done. So I drive to the pharmacy .....

Item 1 - Okay
Item 2 - ordered, but did not add to packet ....
Item 3 - ordered, but did not add to packet ....
Item 4 - never added to the list of items !! THIS is the item my wife NEEDS !! and this is now out of stock as well !

The next day I had to take time of work to go get this stuff for my wife ....

WHY ?

Since the LOWER precribed fees the pharmacy uses LOTS of youngsters, and these youngsters messed up the whole prescription ....

When I got home my wife checked the meds - Item 2 was WRONG !! Same "name" but wrong item !! I took it back and discussed this with the chief, who immediately swapped it out.

The best docter means NOTHING if the pharmacist messes it all up.

they DO deserve a "living wage". (and R90 "handling fee" is surely pushing this statement)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm a gentle soul, Chris ..... can't you tell? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Mud Dog wrote:
I'm a gentle soul, Chris ..... can't you tell? :twisted: :lol: :lol:
and here I thought you were merely loosing your touch ... :blushing: :tease:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hehehe! :lol: ;-)

Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Slightly off the topic: got a new script for the 'hartseer pilletjies" and another one for the lobido as the former caused it to drop. Never read the instruction and started taking both at the same time (I were in Ellisras with SWAMBO at home far far away). .................................................................................................Decided to get the glasses and read the instructions after a couple of very uncomfortable nights to find : as required! :oops:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

uhm ja .... :)

just as well you did not have that with breakfast ... the secratary ......
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

:twisted: And I thoughy Cassie were hooked on meds? :banned: The wife's conclusion: I rode the July without a jockey!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK Koos ... I'll also venture off topic a little ....... ;-)
PHARM.JPG

Return to “Medical forum”