Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Effective treatment for scorpion and spider bites

Post by Witblits »

SWAMBO got bitten by a spider whilst we were camping next to the Berg river. We did not see the spider, but suspect it was a little yellow one (maybe someone can shed more light). Clearly though a poisonous one as the 2 bite sites (on her ankle and lower leg) became progressively worse. All the doctor/conventional medicine could offer was antibiotics. We had to leave for our Botswana/Zimbabwe/Namibia trip shortly, but SWAMBO was in no condition to travel. So I turned to my favourite herbal book - Common Herbs for Natural Health, by that Gypsy woman Juliette de Bairacli Levy. Here's the treatment, and it worked (without the antibiotics), SWAMBO was ready for travel within 24 hours, although we continued the treatment for 2 more days:

Acquire the essential oils of wormwood, rue and rosemary. I could only get the South African wormwood (Wilde Als or Artemisia Afra) and rosemary, but they were good enough. Were lucky to be able to drive to Still Pure in Riebeek Kasteel and buy same, but you can order online at http://www.stillpure.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Apply the essential oils with swabs of cotton wool first dampened in hot water. Then dress with a cotton bandage first soaked in a hot vinegar and water (50/50) solution. Apply the bandage as hot as bearable. Repeat as frequently as you wish - we treated every 3 to 4 hours at first and less frequently as the sites got better.

These oils and vinegar are now part of our first-aid kit.

Here is the relevant part from said book:

"SCORPIONS, POISONOUS SPIDERS, MEDUSAE (JELLYFISH). If first-aid is necessary, cut the place with the point of a sharp knife and press or suck out (of course, not swallowing) all the surface poison. Then apply the pulped leaves of wormwood, rue and sage, as available. Preferably heat the leaves for a few minutes in hot water to make their volatile oils more easily available to the human skin. Bind in place with cotton bandages soaked in a mixture of hot water and vinegar, equal parts. Even more effective is an application of extracted oils of wormwood, rue and rosemary, if available, likewise covering with bandages soaked in hot vinegar water. (I have cured numerous cases of severe bites, several being from the giant species of scorpion, considered fatal, using this treatment.) The most effective and the speediest remedies are the essential oils of these herbs applied on swabs of cotton wool first dampened in hot water.".
ImageImageImage
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Effective treatment for scorpion and spider bites

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna remember this one. :thumbup: :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

All the medicine we need is in nature
To God be the glory
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

Baie interesant sou nooit an so remedie gedink het nie!Thanx for sharing :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dankie Andre.. Het klaar die reseppie aangestuur vir my Medical Officer. Sy sal sorg dat ons noodhulptassie dienooreenkomstig aangevul word!!.. Mens kan nooit te voorbereid wees nie.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting. Must save and print for future use. :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Apparently a raw onion cut in halve and rubbed over the invlicted area also does the job. However ............... for the red roman it would work better to rub the onion over my eyes and put Ooooms to bed? :blackeye:
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Thanks for the appreciation, the pleasure is mine.
ImageImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I cannot vouch for this advise, but I was told by somebody who is out in the bush a lot, that if you make a paste of meat tenderiser and vaseline, and rub it on mozzie/insect bites it relieves the itchiness and irritation.

Spider bites and scorpion stings are obviously in a different category, but in an emergency you could also try the this remedy.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mammabeer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Suzuki SJ410 (Grietje)

Post by Mammabeer »

ThysdJ wrote:I cannot vouch for this advise, but I was told by somebody who is out in the bush a lot, that if you make a paste of meat tenderiser and vaseline, and rub it on mozzie/insect bites it relieves the itchiness and irritation.

Spider bites and scorpion stings are obviously in a different category, but in an emergency you could also try the this remedy.

If you rub a wet disprin on the mozzie bites it also relieves the itch....
A3hn
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Newcastle KZN
Vehicle: Hilux SRX 4x4

Post by A3hn »

Laas jaar is ek deur n Nag adder gepik op die vinger.
In die hospitaal was dit chaos, niemand het geweet wat om te doen.
Toe kom iemand by my met n mengsel van charcoal en " Linseed" wat fyn gemaal is.
Die persoon sê toe ek moet die mengsel met warm water meng en n pasta maak. Sit die pasta so warm as moontlik op die byt plek en omliggende area, en draai toe met n verband.
Elke 4 ure het ek die mengsel geruil en 24 uur later was ek terug by die werk.
Ek het aangehou met die mengsel tot daat geen meer swelling of verkleuring was nie.Ek het geen merke of skade oorgehou nie.

Return to “Medical forum”