george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Medical Aid for touring Africa

Post by george »

I just spoke to my medical aid(Selfmed) and they inform me that I am only covered for RSA and Namibia :thumbdown:

Do you guys know of any other Medical Aid that will cover you for Africa when touring. i am only looking for the standard Trauma and Hospital plans.

Thanks
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Re: Medical Aid for touring Africa

Post by Sebata »

ooooooops :shock: just called BANKMED :thumbdown: , no go, not covered @ all, telling saopie stories that i can pay cash & claim later... :tongue: :thumbdown:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Sebata wrote:ooooooops :shock: just called BANKMED :thumbdown: , no go, not covered @ all, telling saopie stories that i can pay cash & claim later... :tongue: :thumbdown:
Thanks for finding out
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

just confirmed - various medical aids DO provide cover for sub-saharan africa, excluding war torn areas.

there are also options to buy short term additional cover.

switching medical aids can result in waiting periods, so please do your homework carefully before making such a move. especially if this going to be a one of trip.

George I will PM you the contact details of a broker that can assist you with this. She has bene my short term broker for more than a decade, and for the last 7 years she has dealt with my medical aid insurance.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ChrisF wrote:just confirmed - various medical aids DO provide cover for sub-saharan africa, excluding war torn areas.

there are also options to buy short term additional cover.

switching medical aids can result in waiting periods, so please do your homework carefully before making such a move. especially if this going to be a one of trip.

George I will PM you the contact details of a broker that can assist you with this. She has bene my short term broker for more than a decade, and for the last 7 years she has dealt with my medical aid insurance.
Dankie
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Problems with Medical aids is that there is lots of Red tape involved with cross border emergencies ect. Rather look at something like full comprehensive Travel insurance that is specifically made to cover you in emergencies from any country.

Have a look at TIC insurance. Have used them before for a client in Mozambique that got very sick and can only say if they did not evacuate the person, she would have died on her honeymoon from severe allergies. Discovery wanted to send an ambulance to Inhambane.

TIC send in an medical evac Plane, stabilised her before leaving to Lanseria and then on to Carstenhof Clinic in JHB.

http://www.tic.co.za
Johan Marais

Return to “Medical forum”