POLL - CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)

Medical forum

Does everyone know how to do basic CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)?

Yes
84%
No
11%
Not sure, seen it on TV
5%

Total votes: 19

Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

POLL - CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)

Post by Samurai »

Hi!

Here is why it’s important to act quickly and the two easy steps to saving a life in the event of an emergency:

Watch Hands-Only CPR in Action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SgmledxFe8

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Re: POLL - CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)

Post by Hilux 1 »

maar ek verneem daar het n paar dinge al verander sedert ek dit laas geleer het in 1993.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

This forms part of basic training for Scouts,they start at the age of seven to learn CPR.
Always a great skill to have :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

:lol:

I have lost track of the amount of times CPR has changed since I started in the emergency services. The procedure for Healthcare Providers is slightly different than to what is taught to the layperson, obviously due to the equipment available etc.

But it is an excellent skill that everybody should know, and should be able to do!

It can mean the difference between life and death! :deadhorse:

Staying Alive, Staying Alive.... :siffler:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Scrat911 wrote::lol:

I have lost track of the amount of times CPR has changed since I started in the emergency services. The procedure for Healthcare Providers is slightly different than to what is taught to the layperson, obviously due to the equipment available etc.

But it is an excellent skill that everybody should know, and should be able to do!

It can mean the difference between life and death! :deadhorse:

Staying Alive, Staying Alive.... :siffler:
Couldn't agree more :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

difficult one ....

been at ONE very bad accident, the FIRST to stop there .... walked the scene, and 25 years later I still the vivid image in my mind.

Person RACED past me on the N1, rear tire burst as he passed me - it was a matter of 2 or 3 seconds and he could have taken me out !!

I SAW the car swerving, remember thinking he better straighten it out quickly, then he starting rolling and rolling and rolling ... stopping in the "middle mannetjie" .... With each roll something fell out off the vehicle ... amongst other three people !! My EXACT thoughts were, as I walked the scene: "Jy lyk dood", and I walked past the next one. But the time I got to the driver, still strapped in, more people had stopped and residents starting running towards the scene - remember this was before cell phones - I called out to the residents to call an ambulance.

And then there were a LOT of people at the scene ....

It dawned on me that I was NOT able/capable of helping these people - having "seen" basic first aid before then .... I got in my car and drove off .... The next day it was in the paper and that one person was dead on the scene !!

No matter WHAT I thought before the event - when confronted with this in real life it is just "different" to what you may have ever dreamt !!!!!!! Being a bit older now, maybe I would be able to cope with this better today .....

Moral of the story - life happens ! you may well be the first respondent one day !! It would be good to be prepared .....

I KNOW that the day I lay bleeding on the tar, after a young lady knocked me of my bike, I was FORTUNATE that two off duty paramedics were nearby to stabilise me until the ambulance could take me to hospital with a fractured femer .....

I take my hat of to those that can remain calm in the sight of the blood and mayhem that is part of an accident scene.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree Chris. It comes much closer to home when you and your wife/partner and kids are out in the bush, like many of us like to do, often alone, and something happens to one of them. Not just a CPR situation, even something like a burn wound or any other injury.

You must be capable of assisting, stabilising and saving that life. I would much rather be prepared for any such eventuality,than stand around not knowing what to do to help and aggravating the situation by doing the wrong things.

That is one of the reasons why we (my partner and I) are both First Aid trained. We must be able to rely on each other when out there in the wild.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Thys yes, we really should know the basics.

In 2006 we were enroute to Sutherland, half way up the Verlatenkloof pass - lady came off a motorcycle. Bike was a write off, but she looked okay, nothing more than shock.

NO CELL RECEPTION !!

We, the wife and I, were on a motorcycle - so transporting the lady to Sutherland meant leaving my wife there alone ..... THREE cars drove past the scene without even slowing down !! Just as I was about to take off to Sutherland to get some help a vehicle stopped. Turned out she chipped a piece of bone in her elbow - but it could have been a lot worse.

we have to be realisitic in how much medical aid kit we can carry, but we really need to be able to stabilize a person until help can arive ....

Return to “Medical forum”