LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Organ Donation

Post by Samurai »

Good day,

I have been working for the emergency services for just over 15 years. In that time, I have unfortunately, seen more than a fair share of people that have lost their lives.

This is not a topic that many people like to hear about, but one day you could find yourself or have a family member in a situation where the question of organ donation might be asked.

Gift of Life ( http://www.netcare.co.za/2799/gift-of-life )

There are thousands of people who are desperately awaiting organ transplantation is South Africa, without the availability of suitable organs many of these people might succumb due to life threatening organ failure. The potential survival of all these people is dependent on the selfless donations from ordinary citizens such as yourself!

It is very important that you share your wishes of becoming an organ donor with your family as they will have to make these wishes known to medical professionals in the event that you are unable to do so as a result terminal injury or illness.

Donating and organ to another in need is literally THE GIFT OF LIFE!

FAQ Article by Health24.com http://www.health24.com/Medical/Heart/H ... A-20120721

The Organ Donation Foundation need to sign on 50 000 new organ donors in 2013.

More information about becoming an organ donor is available at http://www.odf.org.za/

Just thought I'd share this, something I feel strongly about.

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Re: Organ Donation

Post by b4runner »

Organ Donation is a tough one.
Several years ago I had to take my wife off life support following a very quick illness (pneumonia). With in 10 minutes of her death they asked me about donating her organs. First thought was how could they be asking this at a time like this.
Then I thought about it, my wife was only 35, in decent shape. I went ahead and signed the paper work to allow them to harvest her organs.

A couple of months after her death I got some letters from people who had received some of my wife's organs.
6 people had gotten a part of her. Her corneas were used, heart valves, and other parts were able to help people continue on with life. Sometimes good can come from death.

1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Re: Organ Donation

Post by Samurai »

I am sorry for your loss Robb. It is a tough decision to make and usually it's at the worst possible time, and the last thing on your mind. Giving the gift of life to someone in need of it can be the best thing you could ever possibly do, and those people will forever be grateful.

:smile:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."

Return to “Medical forum”