What and Which Medical Aid to choose

Medical forum
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

What and Which Medical Aid to choose

Post by Dingo »

My Laaitjie is turning 21 in the next couple of weeks and as he is now working and earning more than R4k a month he cannot be a dependent on my medical aid anymore

I've look at what Discovery offers and am not happy with what they can offer

Basically the Classic Delta plan (recommended by Discovery) is R 1872 a month and his earning is just on R5k, that's 40% of his salary :naah: I'm prepared to help subsidise, but I still think that's rather heavy.

I know nothing regarding medical aid, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: What and Which Medical Aid to choose

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Scott

Are you also on the 4x4Community forum ?

"Imvubu" and "Stranger" are both excellent medical aid brokers. They have helped many members over the years. They are on your side of the world. If you were in the Cape I would have recommended to you a very nice lady. :cooldude:

With medical aid the broker premium IS already in the product premium. So you might as well work via a broker.

The sad reality is that "full" medical aid is insanely expensive !!

At his age a "hospital plan" should do the job, and he needs to put money aside for the day to expenses.

Have a look at the attachement, just an indication of the very wide range of products. As you can see there are many cheaper options available.

There are MANY funds to choose from !! BUT, as my sister just learnt the very hard way .. DO get one with the best track record for "administration". And at this point Discovery certainly is one of the best in this regard.

That said, I like some of the plans from Bonnitas .. but you guessed it, they are expensive (that is the good plans)

PS - seems he was automatically quoted on Vitality as well ...
Attachments
Medihelp 2017.pdf
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Discovery 2017.pdf
(22.34 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, youngsters are generally healthy enough not to need regular medical care unless they have some form of chronic condition. In which case I agree with Chris that a hospital plan is the better option for now, which will cover the more serious expenses if he ever needs to be hospitalised for any reason. Discovery also have a good hospital plan - remember to look carefully at what limits are stipulated when you compare one against another. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

extra item to consider : "Network option", either for a hospital plan or full medical plan

Today you get some top hospitals such as Panorama MediClinic on some network options.

Typically the network options are substantially cheaper.

PS - we are in the same boat with my nephew that has just turned 21 ...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Busy with a comparative spreadsheet of medical aid premiums.

True as Bob .... one of the companies hand out paper documents at their launch, yet in their electronic data the premiums differs !!!!

Scary how people can get the basics wrong ....
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Look at which medical aid has the biggest slice of the cake compared to all the other competitors and look carefully at the coverage each of the schemes provide and it goes without saying,Discovery offers much more value for money than its rivals across the board.Comparing apples with apples.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Very happy with Spectramed's hospital plan so far....I initially thought it was a mickey mouse plan but turned out be top notch. Mentioned it on Chris' thread as well, of a >R140k hospital bill we paid only about R2k for a specialized X-ray they did not cover, oh and a pair of crutches, even the orthopedic pillows were covered.

Discovery's admin IS very good, but too many gimmick's to my liking these days and wherever they take the reigns of a scheme the so-called "managed care" is just code for diminished benefits to cater for their admin fees. The Coastal Core plan use to be good value for money, not sure what it's like nowadays but I doubt if that's an option up here in GP.

You could also look at medical insurance, maybe one of those that covers visits to the emergency room as well; youngsters are generally healthy but somewhat accident prone due their antics LOL so just something that would cover the odd R5000 bill for stitches etc.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Hallo julle. Net ter inligting as julle nog kwotasies soek. My vrou werk oor die 10 jaar al met Mediese fondse asook lewensdekking, kort/lang termyn versekering, en kan ook vir julle vergelykings doen en goeie advies gee. Ek wil nie op ander makelaars (op die forum) se tone trap nie, maar julle is meer as welkom om met haar ook te praat. Sy diens die groter Pretoria en Johannesburg area. Julle kan haar kontak by vicky@securitas.co.za.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stefan Coastal plans took a serious knock the last year, and is due massive increases in premiums. The Coastal Saver option is going to have people crying by mid year !! Lowest increase - on the face of it. BUT, the savings is dropped drastically !!!

Robbie ek is seker die manne sal die verwysing waardeer. Ek weet nie van enige mediese fonds makelaars op die forum nie. Ek is beslis NIE n makelaar nie ! Speel net baie met die getalle terwyl ek spreadsheets optrek vir n vriend in die besigheid.

PS - as jou vrou met Bestmed werk laat haar tog net die "launch data" vergelyk met die elektroniese data ... paar groot foute .... wag nog om uit te vind watter getalle reg is ....
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Chris, geen probleem en dankie daar. As ek dit nie mis het nie, het sy dieselfde foute raakgesien. Sy bemark al die groot fondse en ek weet sy was by van die Launches gewees. Redelike beisge tyd van die jaar hierdie vir hulle.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Bliksempie wrote:Chris, geen probleem en dankie daar. As ek dit nie mis het nie, het sy dieselfde foute raakgesien. Sy bemark al die groot fondse en ek weet sy was by van die Launches gewees. Redelike beisge tyd van die jaar hierdie vir hulle.
JIP !!

Eintlike n baie ondankbare job wat hulle doen - die makelaars.

Vir die volgende 8 weke is dit vrek lang ure. En heelparty kliente raak erg gefrustreerd en haal dit op die makelaars uit .... Terwyl die makelaar die een persoon is wat regtig kan probeer om jou te help, sover as wat dit moontlik is.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Thank you so much for the advice, very valuable. Busy looking at the hospital plan options

Return to “Medical forum”