Toyota RAV related discussions
dust-devil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gaborone
Vehicle: 2001 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

Which RAV

Post by dust-devil »

I am in the market for a replacement for swambo's platkar. We are leaning towards the RAV4, due to its raised height, and being able to do backroads, gravel etc (I already have a Hilux for the hard core stuff). Also - it's Toyota!
Considering 2012 (new or low km 2nd hand). Undecided about petrol or diesel, manual or auto.
Any info regarding these vehicles would be appreciated, eg maintenance costs, fuel consumption, towing ability, auto vs manual, resale value etc. Can the diesel run on 500ppm or does it need the low sulphur stuff?
Any info is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office.
Triton 3.2 4x4 D/C A/T
2001 KZ-TE D/Cab. SAC Intercooler & chip. Nudge-M. Iron Man Suspension. Long range tank. Dual Battery. 29mHz. BFG A/T. etc (Reluctantly left behind when I left Botswana).
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Which RAV

Post by pietpetoors »

Unfortunately I can only tell you what I would prefer but cannot talk of first hand experience.
If I would buy a RAV I would buy a manual diesel and would prefer a demo model or second hand model.
The moment you drive a new car of the floor you loose R30,000

I just bought a Aygo, it is a 2012 model with 14,000 on the clock, but paid R27,000 less than what a new one would cost.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

pietpetoors wrote:I just bought a Aygo, it is a 2012 model with 14,000 on the clock, but paid R27,000 less than what a new one would cost.
That is a substantial saving on a vehicle that costs between R112000 and R135000 :shock: :shock:

I agree with Pieter. Buying a new car is very overrated, and you lose a lot of money :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

I've had a 1996 Rav 4 for just on 7 years now,best little Toyota I've had.it's the 2L 5 door,get on average 12km to a L.in the time I've had it only the clutch has been replaced with the normal odds and ends,they are really worth every cent,but go with a second hand one,if buying diesel make sure it has full service history. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That is a substantial saving on a vehicle that costs between R112000 and R135000
Dealers quoted me R127,000 for a new one, I got the 2nd hand one for R99,000

My opinion is that you pay for a vehicle with less than 20,000km on the clock what it is really worth, that initial knock the price takes in first year (in my case 8 months) was the dealer's profit added to the price.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

To dig up an old thread ....

Toyota SA is a serious concert conductor !!

They totally manipulate stock levels .... They make sure there is a short waiting list. Most dealers wont even negotiate from the list price.

Have not seen any RAV4 demo models, not while they are typically on pre-order.

And on the second hand market - seldom they stand for more than 1 week !! Saw only two that have been on the second hand floor for more than two weeks - Manual in BLACK, and an Auto model with high milage.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

If you are taking a car loan ask your bank about a personal loan. They have better interest rates and over shorter loan periods. And you now have cash to negotiate a better price on a used one. I did that and it worked great! Less interest and 1 year less of payments.. :celebrate:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

increased my bond payment many many moons back. So that I can negotiate a cash deal ...

DONT do this via a second bond !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal bond, then just start saving up....
Gemsbok
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 AT
Club VHF Licence: HC186

Post by Gemsbok »

Ek kyk daarna om my huidige platkar te vervang met 'n RAV. Dit moet outomaties wees en dit is net hier waar die probleem inkom. Die 2.0 liter kom uit met die CVT ratkas wat nie 'n konvensionele outomatiese ratkas is nie. Uit die voor- en nadele wat ek hierop kon Google kon ek nie vir myself uitmaak of die voordele die nadele oorskry nie. Is daar enigiemand op hierdie forum wat 'hands on' ervaring van hierdie tipe ratkas het?
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

My vrou se Verso het n CVT box op. Kar het nou so 100 000km op en ek moet se die CVT is seepglad. Ons is nou in die proses om hom interuil op die 2 liter Rav met CVT.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Honda gebruik die CVT al 20 jaar lank
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Bester »

My vrou se Honda het die CVT boks, geen probleme na 114000 km en loop baie lekker. Sy het n groter kar nodig so het vroeer vanjaar die 2l Rav met CVT boks gekoop - baie gelukkig.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan

Return to “RAV”