Tembe Elephant Park

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Tembe Elephant Park

Post by JJBotes »

I want to go for a short visit to Tembe Elephant Park in May. BUT its only 28km from Kosi Bay an I’ve heard stories that Cruisers and Hilux bakkie disappear in this area. :thumbdown: Also that a lot of people get robbed at gunpoint. :blackeye:
Any truth to this ?
Should I rather find some other place to go to?
:thumbup:
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Re: Tembe Elephant Park

Post by Borntofish »

I think it is the luck of the draw. You can get hijacked in Johannesburg. We are going to Kosi in two weeks time. This will be my 8th visit to the area and we never experienced any problems.
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Borntofish wrote:I think it is the luck of the draw. You can get hijacked in Johannesburg. We are going to Kosi in two weeks time. This will be my 8th visit to the area and we never experienced any problems.

Thank you for the good news, and making me jealous. :mrgreen: :D: :D: :D:
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

JJ you have the same chance any where. Why don't you visit Ndumo reserve also (close by) ?
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Ndumo or Tembe , all the same , it’s the whole area around the Mozambique border and kosi by that I was told is bad news.
also
My wife will be 31 weeks pregnant by then so I don’t really want her to worry about washing dishes and making “braai boodtjies” etc. etc.

Tembe offers 4 meals a day and they take you out on the game drives, so that will give her so time to relax.(I’ll be running around looking after my son)

I don’t know if Ndumo offers the same, I don’t really have a lot of experience/knowledge about these places.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Remember that it is malaria area - is the risk not too big for your wife and the unborn baby ...
JJBotes wrote:Ndumo or Tembe , all the same , it’s the whole area around the Mozambique border and kosi by that I was told is bad news.
also
My wife will be 31 weeks pregnant by then so I don’t really want her to worry about washing dishes and making “braai boodtjies” etc. etc.

Tembe offers 4 meals a day and they take you out on the game drives, so that will give her so time to relax.(I’ll be running around looking after my son)

I don’t know if Ndumo offers the same, I don’t really have a lot of experience/knowledge about these places.
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Didn’t even think of that. Thank you.

Guess I’ll find something else to do . .

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”