Mozambique: Kosi Bay

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Mozambique: Kosi Bay

Post by Mikie »

We will be going to Ponta do Oura at the beginning of September, I have never been, so I need some tips and advice.

We are crossing at Kosi Bay.

Now I know I need the reflective vest, 2 triangles, the ZA Sticker, Insurance approval for me to take the car over the border, original ownership papers.... what else

1. The original papers? Must they be Original? What about Laminated copies?
2. My drivers licence, would I have problems if I made a laminated copy of it so if I am stopped I can give them that, I have been told not to hand over my drivers licence to police there, I am portuguese, so being able to speak the language could be to my advantage.
3. Food, what can and cant we take? Can we take meat for the whole time we will be there, a weeks worth? veg, eggs etc?
4. Alcohol, I think there are limits. Should I rather stick to those limits and buy at a bottle store there, is booze cheaper there?

What else should I remember?
Buffel 1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D Legend auto

Re: Mozambique: Kosi Bay

Post by Buffel 1 »

Mikie wrote:We will be going to Ponta do Oura at the beginning of September, I have never been, so I need some tips and advice.

We are crossing at Kosi Bay.

Now I know I need the reflective vest, 2 triangles, the ZA Sticker, Insurance approval for me to take the car over the border, original ownership papers.... what else

1. The original papers? Must they be Original? What about Laminated copies?
2. My drivers licence, would I have problems if I made a laminated copy of it so if I am stopped I can give them that, I have been told not to hand over my drivers licence to police there, I am portuguese, so being able to speak the language could be to my advantage.
3. Food, what can and cant we take? Can we take meat for the whole time we will be there, a weeks worth? veg, eggs etc?
4. Alcohol, I think there are limits. Should I rather stick to those limits and buy at a bottle store there, is booze cheaper there?

What else should I remember?
The golden rule - NEVER handover the origional to the cop
The language puts you at a distinct atvantage especialy with the officials
The border crossing normaly easy there

5 copies of each document normaly does it for me certified if possible car registration, Passport, Drivers licence
Remember to purchase 3rd party insurance at the border
There is no ATM at the border but ZAR would get you through DONT exchange at the bloody "agents" at the post (thanks to me there is now a BCI bank smack in the middle of the (white) town draw meticrap there- not sure anymore but they used to take ZAR in town as well afterall the whole town is owned by expat SA people

Food is not a problem to take through but it is a nice experience to visit the market (ensure 4wd engaged you can get stuck in the town centre :laugh2: )

The whoman are normaly not to keen on the local meat so take with but if you want to buy just leave them at the campsite

Drink I think you can show the border 2l at request but put the other away ;-) but it is reasonable and all available cheaper in the old town rather than the white town (look out for tipi tinto rum at R20/bottle you are guaranteed a moerse babelaas but worth it just take rasberry with it is scarce in Moz

Obrigado :lmao: :lmao:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

So copies are a good idea then?

I have been told that we can pay in Rands there.

Yes, the fairer half wants to take all our meat from here, which I am cool to do but wanted to be sure we wont get problems t the border for it and end up losing it all
We do plan on buying seafood there, prawns, crab, whatever, heard they sell the stuff fresh to you all over.

Whats accessibility to the "Old" town like? I have a 4x2, been told I shouldnt have a problem. I am taking sand ladders just in case. And I can deflate tyres, I have a little compressor to reinflate.
If I can buy 2M and Tipo Tinto and other decent drinks at the same price or less than here then I wont bother taking too much.

I think we may be better off going at the beginning of Sept, before the school holiday and huge influx of tourists who will churn up the roads making it less passable for us 4x2's :)
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Mike,
Get your 3rd party insurance at any Camp World before you leave, it costs the same and a lot better then doing it at the border. I did it that way the last time I went which was in January this year. What a pleasure! Normally if you are going in at Kosi/Ponta you won't have a lot of problems. Take original papers but feel free to make copies. You may not even be asked to show them at all if you only go to ponta.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I thought you could only buy 3rd party insurance at the border.
Where is Camp world?
Thanks for those tips
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:I thought you could only buy 3rd party insurance at the border.
Where is Camp world?
Thanks for those tips
You can also get 3rd party at Outdoor :thumbup:

Many moons ago I went with my 2x4.....could catch you out, so be careful. Deflate to 0.8bar (with a bit of momentum, you will be OK) and at one stage I had to deflate to 0.4bar. However you have to drive very carefully!
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

OOOOMS wrote:
Where is Camp world?
Thanks for those tips

Many moons ago I went with my 2x4.....could catch you out, so be careful. Deflate to 0.8bar (with a bit of momentum, you will be OK) and at one stage I had to deflate to 0.4bar. However you have to drive very carefully!
Mark you know how to worry a man hey :D:

But I will heed that advice. I was also told that if I do get stuck, there is always passing cars that could get you out
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:
Where is Camp world?
Thanks for those tips

Mark you know how to worry a man hey :D:

But I will heed that advice. I was also told that if I do get stuck, there is always passing cars that could get you out
Take your own recovery ropes...... :thumbup:
Buffel 1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D Legend auto

Post by Buffel 1 »

My opinion be prepared :D:

You should be ok with 2x4 especialy out of season but those roads change regularly, there is also normally lots of locals where people get stuck ...to help push of cource .....for a small fee of cource:naah:
I have even seen a guy towing an exclusive via the kosi bay route to ponta

I cannot remember the ladies name that runs a guest house and a hardware shop and the diving school but her number is 0eight28046017 they will always help and has the most reasonable rates for accomodation should you need it

The only time I had to use 4x4 was when i towed a loaded trailer and when the Q7's arrived witl low profile tyres deflated of coarse....you get the picture

You can even get the 3rd party at AA my opinion for the same price at a not so bussy border post buy from the local and you have an alleigh (pardon the spelling im creative :celebrate: ) should you bump into a customs official that is unfriendly and would also be the best to advice you as to which of the million little roads are the best at that stage...Me I enjoy the experience the wife not so much - golden rule be friendly these people don't hate you.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Always got them in the bakkie also taking sand ladders just in case
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:Always got them in the bakkie also taking sand ladders just in case
:thumbup:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

So just want concensus on the food and Booze.

Booze - take some but not much and buy there

Food - Take own meat etc ??
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:So just want concensus on the food and Booze.

Booze - take some but not much and buy there

Food - Take own meat etc ??
Booz is pretty expensive in Ponta....tourist prices.... :thumbdown: (how ling are you going for?)

Food - never had a problem there :wink2:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

2 days St Lucia
5 Days in Ponta.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:2 days St Lucia
5 Days in Ponta.
Take what you consume :thumbup: You should'nt have a problem, outa sight outa mind :thumbup:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

OOOOMS wrote:
5 Days in Ponta.
Take what you consume :thumbup: You should'nt have a problem, outa sight outa mind :thumbup:
So they shouldnt search at the border, ;-)
I will risk it then
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:
5 Days in Ponta.
So they shouldnt search at the border, ;-)
I will risk it then
Uncommon for them to search, pretty relaxed there, but you never know what to expect :wink2:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I will take a chance

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”