Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
cruiserhj60
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC

Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Post by cruiserhj60 »

Hi Folks,
Please could someone assist with some information on a trip.
I am planning a trip to Hluhluwe game reserve at the end of February for a few days.
We will then move on to Kosi Bay for a few days. We absolutely love the mouth and will probably stay at Utshwayelo Lodge.
The info I am looking for is, I see there is a Road/Track up the coast from Sodwana Bay to Bhanga Nek. I would like to know
1. Is it possible to use this route (maybe with a permit)
2. What are the road conditions like.
3. How far is the trip. From T4A maps it looks like about 80k’s.
4. Can this be done in one day.
5. Who do I need to contact for permits if required.
I know I could just travel up the tar road, but that defeats the object of owning a 4x4. Although we do not plan to stop over and swim etc, the scenery has got to be better than travelling up the highway.
We have tried to get info from various accommodation sources in the area as well as KZN wildlife, with out success.
Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Trevor
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Re: Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Post by Bosfebok »

Hi Trevor

You can travel the road from Bhanga Nek to Sodwana, and you must get the permits from the Kosi Bay KZN Ezemvelo office.

The road is 4x4 only, and depending on how dry the sand is, can get quite challenging in certain sections...with a lot of axle twisters. I will not advise you to tow a trailer on that route.

The route can most definitely be done in one day, and is a must...it is beautiful!

When I was there in 2012, I got the permit from the office a day in advance, even though I stayed at Bhanga Nek...you'll have to ask for this though. If they do not want to give you the permit in advance, then you'll have to drive from Bhanga Nek to Kosi Bay to get the permit in the morning, and then drive all the way back to get to the road that goes past Black Rock...so you'll have to plan that into you distance and timing...

A suggestion, buy a Rhino card from Ezemvelo. All you permits will be free then... well worth it. Not all permits and parks take Wild Card in that area...only Hluhluwe park does.

Hope you come right.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

There is a road from south of black rock, south of mabibi to the top. If you book at mabibi, then your camp fees cover the permit. There is a gate there near seven mile reef, south of mabibi, manned by rangers. From there drive along twee spoor tracks in the see bush up the coast to kosi bay. About 20 kms south from kosi bay is a palms campsite, which has 24 hour electricity. The campsite at kosi bay gate only runs an engine fot a few hours a day, but the guy there sells the permits to kosi.
From lower down look for bushbaby lodge for campsites just a few kms from mfolozi/hluhluwe reserve, s northern gate. If comming up from the south, enter lower down. The road here is better as well. Once you have driven from hluhluwe, then you will find the short cut from the highway to bushbaby. Do get a rhino card or wharever its called, otherwise touring that area can get expensive & the card is relatively cheap (their wild card).
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
cruiserhj60
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC

Post by cruiserhj60 »

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the valuable information.
Sounds like the rhino card is the way to go.
Regards
Trevor

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”