Botswana in August

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
IhanvanVuuren
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Vereeniging
Vehicle: 2008 D4D DC 4x4 Hilux

Botswana in August

Post by IhanvanVuuren »

Me and my father want to visit Botswana in August.

We want to Visit Kubu Island, then Elephant Sands, Kasane, and from there Moremi. Will we be able to drive with a Fortuner towing a Explorer, and a Hilux with a Xt140 Trailer.

Will we be able to drive directly from kasane to Maun with the caravan and trailer,how does that road look.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Botswana in August

Post by Thunder02 »

IhanvanVuuren wrote:Me and my father want to visit Botswana in August.

We want to Visit Kubu Island, then Elephant Sands, Kasane, and from there Moremi. Will we be able to drive with a Fortuner towing a Explorer, and a Hilux with a Xt140 Trailer.

Will we be able to drive directly from kasane to Maun with the caravan and trailer,how does that road look.
Hi, that time of the year you will have no problems, well before the rain season. The only piece of tar is through Chobe national park, thereafter it is sand tracks. Please make sure of booking. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

You should have no problems. From Savuti there is the Sand Ridge Road and the Marsh road leading towards Maun. The Sand ridge road has thick sand at times. The Marsh road is only wet with black cotten mud during the wet period. We were however confronted with a deep river crossing on this route, which had drowned a new Vigo the day before we got there. We were three vehicle in the convoy, which made it through by pushing a bow wave in front of the vehicle and keeping a constant speed (L2 @ 2 000 rpm). This river crossing is mostly used by trucks as far as we could judge by the tracks.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

You should have no problems in August. Correct tyre pressures on cars and trailers should do it. The river crossing before Kwaai can vary. Take the short detour and avoid the crossing on the main road. In November last year it was dry. Bookings are essential. August is high season in that part of the world.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

The road south from Ngoma was ok up to as far as Mabele (IIRC) then it's a twee spoor with fairly long stretches of thick/very thick sand almost all the way to Savuti.
Towing is going to suck juice BIG time.......make sure you have enough fuel!!!!!!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

No problem.

We did it July 2015- convoy of 11 vehicles- all towing. Khubu, Moremi, Kwai, Chobe, Kwando, Drotsky's, Deception Camp in Central Kalahari.

No problems. Easy does it in the sand- don't hurry... And ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”