Trip to Serengeti / Kenya / Tanzania - Dec 2015

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Trip to Serengeti / Kenya / Tanzania - Dec 2015

Post by Big D »

Hi All

I have realised that it is now or never to do my dream. I want to travel to the Serengeti in my Hilux.

To be able to achieve this, I will need a lot of info, so please help me with this, I appreciate any little info you might have!!

December??, you ask, well unfortunately with my Job, this is the only time I can do this. I know we will miss out on the Migration, but there should be more than enough stuff to see and do. Or is December really to be avoided. I looked at the rainfall, and December is one of the lower months?

Im also looking for more persons to join with their own Hilux (yes other vehicles are also welcome). I don’t want to travel alone (me and wife). I am only starting to plan the trip, but would think that interested parties, would like to plan it together.

The Plan so-far:
You need 18 days of leave
This will give you a total of 30 days of holiday (with the public holidays and weekends)

Is 30 days enough to travel to Kenya? Or skip Kenya and travel as far as Tanzania?

Things I would like to see:

1. Victoria falls
2. Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater
3. Lake Victoria
4. Lake Malawi
5. Mt, Kilimanjaro
6. The Equator Sign in Kenya (I need a photo of my Hilux in front of that sign)
7. ??

Anybody in that areas recently that can comment on Fuel prices. Fuel will be the biggest expense on this trip. I want to start working on a budget, but need some fuel prices.

Anybody interested in joining?

Thanks
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Trip to Serengeti / Kenya / Tanzania - Dec 2015

Post by Haboob »

Would be interested if you could postpone for a further 12 months...
Just a thought...
Do have planned trips for 2015/2016
George from Langebaan has been up that way and would have a ton of information about distances, fuel costs & accommodation...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

Thanks Edge, I really dont want to postpone the trip, I have been postponing it for the last 10 years.

Dankie Hennie > Ek het daai trip report gelees, Baie Goed, en my net meer lus gemaak om te gaan. Het jy dalk die "Track" wat julle gery het in google earth formaat?
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Eish Deon, ek's tegnologies agtergeblewe met die goed....

Sal vir bil Dewald vra.
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

Baie dankie Hennie!!
ImageImage

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

..............Is 30 days enough to travel to Kenya? Or skip Kenya and travel as far as Tanzania? To enjoy the trip in that amount of time, I'd skip Lake Vic & Equator sign and stay south of the TZ/KEN border.

Things I would like to see:

1. Victoria falls It's on your way which ever route you follow. You'll need two full days there.
2. Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater Both in TZ and close enough to Kili. Charged in USD/pp/24 hours + vehicle entry so can be expensive if you stay in the parks. Stay outside and do day trips in.
3. Lake Victoria This will eat up a chunk of your time.
4. Lake Malawi Spend more time here in place of Lake Vic - it's closer and you can spend more time visiting the TZ parks
5. Mt, Kilimanjaro Best view is from Amboseli NP in Kenya but you have to cross the border just for that. Stay in TZ rather.[colour=#FF0000]
6. The Equator Sign in Kenya (I need a photo of my Hilux in front of that sign) There are heaps of these signs even as far as 5km either side of the 0 deg lattitude. It's about a 6 hour drive from the TZ border before you begin to see them. I can send you one to Photoshop :twisted:
7. ??

Anybody in that areas recently that can comment on Fuel prices. Fuel will be the biggest expense on this trip. I want to start working on a budget, but need some fuel prices.

Most expensive fuel will be in Zambia - about $2/liter. In Zim, Bots, Nam, Malawi often cheaper than here - TZ about the same as SA.

Anybody interested in joining?

Thanks
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Deon,

Dit is heel haalbaar in 30 dae, maar jy moet weet dat jy gaan baie ry en min tyd he vir rond kyk en so aan. Enige setbacks en jy gaan laat wees vir werk die vlg jaar... So dit is fyn sny maar met goeie beplanning kan jy dit maak werk. Sal eerder kyk wat is die belangrikste punte wat ek graag by wil aan gaan en dit gebruik om die hele roete op te stel en dan te kyk na die dae en so hom maak werk.

Kenya gaan jou ten minste nog so 2000 km bysit. Dan word 9000km sommer 11000km en jy gaan dood gery wees na so vakansie.

EK sal eerder kyk wat is nader besienswaardighede wat mens weer kan besoek en dus minder tyd daaraan bestee. Maar ek kan se dat jy gaan 1 week ry minimum tot in Tanzanie as jy Vic Falle om gaan. Ek self al die ding bekyk en so aan. 1 week tot in Tanzanie. 1 week tot in Serengeti en by Kilimanjaro en dan het jy 2 weke terug via Dar Es Salaam, Malawi en Mosambiek/Zimbabwe.

Jy kan baie sien op so vakansie maar jy moet genoeg rus punte skep om behoorlik te rus. veral met die terug ry moet jy 2 dae (1nag) ry en 2 nagte rus voordat jy weer pad vat.
Johan Marais
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

Thanks Zepplin, Really considering your advice and skipping Kenya.

Dankie Johan. Jip, die idee is nie om onself dood te ry nie. Ek oorweeg dit baie sterk net om tot Tanzania te ry. Die idee is om te rus ook.

Kom saam Johan, ek weet jy wil! Ons reel dat iemand saam jou ry sodat julle petrol kan deel.
ImageImage

Lady driver
Town: Somerset west
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4

Post by Lady driver »

Hi

I am curious as to whether you have decided to go ahead with your trip to Kenya in December?
Have you had any interest from folk wanting to join you.

Debbie Kimber

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”