Information on N/W Namibia sought please

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Information on N/W Namibia sought please

Post by Haboob »

Hallo to all you well-travelled Forum/Club Members…
1) I am urgently seeking information on the Ugab River from where the River bed can be accessed from the M76/C35 north-east of White Lady Lodge near Brandberg to Ugab Rhino Sanctuary (Is it possible to travel the whole distance along/in the river?).
2) I am also seeking information on Aub-Barab Pass (Aub Canyon) N/N/W of Palmwag and then on to Kai-Ais Campsite past Crowther’s, Theun’s, Blackridge Campsites and then onto the Hoanib River Bed where I am looking for the Lookout Point to the Sea GPS point.
3) Then information on Fearless Pass situated between the Hoanib River and Puros.
4) Lastly I need information on the Hoarusib 4 W/D Trail from north of Puros to the D3707 about 70 kilos before Kaoko Otavi (Do not want to use the D3707 from Orupembe to Sanitatis towards Okandjombo – Opuwo Road – very badly corrugated).
5) There is also another area that seems to be off the normal tourist routes that is between Sesfontein on the D3705 over Robbie’s Pass and on to Kaoko Otavi. Has anyone driven this route and have anything to report on this route? (If this route is worth travelling then I will work it into the trip planner).
I need information on the road/trail conditions and any GPS points that anyone may have of any of these routes or points on these routes. It is important to know of any major obstacles/difficulties/road conditions that may be experienced along any of these sections as we normally travel alone without Satellite ‘phones.
Thanking you in anticipation…
(If there happens to be an interested retired couple or a party who has about five weeks (or more) set aside between June and August, 2016 to travel this area and then to continue on to the Caprivi, for the game parks there, you can contact me at edgew60@gmail.com).
Points of interest that you wish to visit can be added to the existing itinerary. The further you want to travel off the beaten track the bigger your fuel reserves must be. You want to do it; we have the nerve to do it with you, do you have the nerve to do it with us?
We very seldom spend more than a night at any campsite on our travels, and you would need to be self-sufficient. A low range on your 4X4 would be a requirement. Being young at heart and a sense of adventure would be a pre-requisite. A good sense of humour would be greatly enjoyed. We mostly try to travel off the normal tourist routes and to stick to back roads not previously travelled. We will then be returning through Botswana.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
RodS
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: X282

Re: Information on N/W Namibia sought please

Post by RodS »

Have you bought Johan Snyman's two books on this area? I am planning a similar trip and am finding his track descriptions invaluable. We will be setting off on about 24 September, also on our own.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Hi Rod,
Could you give me some info on what he says about the mentioned areas. This will probably be my last trip to Namibia as I have driven most areas, roads & trails with the exception of the dune driving...
Your co-operation will be greatly appreciated...
Edge.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hi Edge, kom kuier vir my ek het Johan se boeke.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Dankie Ben,
Waardeer dit baie. Sodra die weer verbeter gaan Wade ons uitnooi om oor die berge daar by hulle te ry, wat meer van 'n 4X4 roete is as die voorige roete wat ons laas daar gery het.
Kyk ook na die Trip Reports Seksie waar ek die jaar se roete sonder fodies gepos het. Ek sal die fodies saambring as ek jou weer sien, dan kan jy dit vir my op die Forum pos as jy tyd kry.
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

Ek sal bietjie kyk of dit nog op my gps is maar terwyl julle in daai omgewing is maak n draai by Ongongo Hot Springs. Ons het vir die gemeenskap n Faceboek blad gestig gaan kyk gerus ons het n paar foto's gelaai .met die waypoint.
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

"Ek sal bietjie kyk of dit nog op my gps is"

Dankie Rudi, Van watter van die vyf punte/plekke praat jy?

ons ken Ongongo goed en het al daar 'n paar keer geswem en kamp, die plek is ook bekend as Warmquelle. Ongelukkig kan ek nie jou site besoek hier by die werk nie. Ons het omtrent alles op die gewone toeriste roete gedoen, dus soek ons die plekke uit, waar meeste mense nie gewoonlik kom nie. Op die plekke wat ek nou wil besoek kan ek geen inligting kry nie...

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”